Reviews Categories | Feedlines (coax, ladder-line, etc.) | Times Microwave LMR \"EZ\" connectors Help

Reviews Summary for Times Microwave LMR \"EZ\" connectors
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $varies with size and type
Description: "EZ" series connectors for various LMR cable sizes, available in many connector types - N, PL259, BNC, TNC, etc
More info: http://www.timesmicrowave.com/cms/products/connectors/index.shtml

You can write your own review of the Times Microwave LMR \"EZ\" connectors.

K1VCT Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2017 20:32 Send this review to a friend
Very good connectors!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
These connectors are not for everyone.

1. They are expensive.

and

2. The tools to make a proper connection are expensive

But, they are a fabulously easy, secure and well performing connector, should you be in the position to have to make a whole lot of cables.

Backstory:
As part of my employment, I install a whole lot of UHF antennas, usually two per project, which means I'm making up to six cables per installation. Antenna to PolyPhaser, PolyPhaser to equipment area, and finally a short length of LMR-240 to act as a more flexible connection to the equipment. I might do this ten or twelve times a summer, my "project" season.

I've been using the solder-on type of connectors for LMR-400 cable for about 25 years. I've got the "recipe" for making a lasting connection perfected. Only thing, is they're a little bit of a pain to do, sometimes fiddly when I have to make one in cooler weather outdoors.

Couple that with: I'm a cheapskate!

The EZ connectors are easy, fast and secure.

There is a prep tool that makes all the cuts to the right depth, at the right lengths.

Its an expensive tool set, the kind a club might want to own, but not the average individual (unless they're in the biz of making cables, like me!)

You'll need the prep tool, the deburr tool (or a file, ugh), and a crimper. Times Microwave makes a set in a tool pouch, but a standard cable crimper can be had for a bit less, if you buy the other tools separately. The blades are replaceable in the tools, by the way.

However... the EZ connectors very nice, robust, and worth the price paid.

Simple instructions:

1. Cut cable to length
2. Slide the provided "mastic filled shrink wrap", and crimp tube down the length of the cable
3. Use one end of the prep tool to cut the inner core and conductor to length.
4. Use the other end of the prep tool to "potato peel" the outer jacket off the cable
5. Spread the braid slightly
6. Push the EZ connector onto the cable until it "clicks" into place. The click is the spring fingers, inside the cable, grabbing the center conductor.
7. Push the crimp tube over the braid
8. Crimp into place
9. Place the heat shrink tubing over the connector, crimp tube, and cable.
10. Heat the tubing, shrinking it into place, making sure the mastic is expressed at each end (signifying proper weather sealing).

You're done!

Using the right tools, prep takes all of 15 seconds. Assembly and crimp another 15 seconds, and the shrink wrap maybe another 30 seconds. The result is a high quality cable termination that is of commercial/industrial standard.

And... for those folks who've read this far... I do this for LMR-240, LMR-400 and LMR-600

I've switched to EZ connectors 100% at the shop. I only wish I'd started using them when I was making my own cables for the HF station at my home. Putting an N-male connector on LMR-240 would have been quick and easy at home, if I had the EZ connectors and tools back a year ago.