Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-945-E Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-945-E
MFJ-945-E Reviews: 56 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $109.95
Description: 160 through 6 M 300 watt metered compact mobile antenna tuner
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-945E

You can write your own review of the MFJ-945-E.

NU6I Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2017 15:46 Send this review to a friend
works!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received it today and did hear a rattling noise inside. Open it but couldn't find where it is coming from.
Construction is surprisingly well done.
Put it back together and tried.
First impression is that I don't hear a large increase in noise level while turning the caps and inductor
(compared to my Zm2 and 4SQRP tuners). However, I was able to tune my random wire and
counterpoise through an home made 9:1 balun to a 1 to 1 SWR on 40 and 20m.
Works very well, it is not too big and it is a keeper.

AA4AJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2017 18:49 Send this review to a friend
Works  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
No issues. Works just as it should.

K4NBC Rating: 4/5 Jul 2, 2016 04:05 Send this review to a friend
Just got this tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, just got this tuner used, so far so good.. its doing what is supposed to be doing. I only needed for 30m and 15m where the internal tuner of the radio can not tune the dipole antenna, but very handy mfj tuner.

N4UE Rating: 4/5 Jun 4, 2016 13:32 Send this review to a friend
Internal issues  Time owned: more than 12 months
The reason for the 4 instead of a lower rating is because I've had this tuner for 15 years and just now found issues with it. It has been in storage and not abused.
I have other, larger MFJ tuners in the shack. I bought this one to use in my RV. It worked well, but I never used it extensively. I recently put up a 40-6M OCF dipole out at the farm.
After I got the antenna up, I 'tuned' it with my Comet CAA500mk2. I noticed some scraping noises on the 'Transmitter' cap rotation, with the SWR going nuts.
When I got home I disassembled it and the problem was the cap's rotor was touching the stator at one point. Looking closely, the reason was that the buss wires from both caps were too short. The wire was pulled to just touch the cap then soldered. If the wire was 1/4" longer and the end was formed into a loop to go over the cap's terminal, it would have been fine.
This would NOT have increased the length of the wire from the cap to the other end. There was so much tension on the wire, it distorted the cap.
One last comment on the caps. The spacing on the caps is SO small it's probably going to arc over at a lot less than 300 watts. Also, due to the small gap, it will try your patience trying to get the spacing so it won't short.

ron
N4UE

IK1WGZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2016 23:44 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Do what it claims on ad and more, works flawlessly, no issues at all.

NY7Q Rating: 4/5 Aug 21, 2015 05:14 Send this review to a friend
works okay for 100w  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine has worked for 9 or 10 years just fine. I always pop the top on a MFJ tuner when I buy it new and check for loose/missing connections/solders.
works for me

MM0HRL Rating: 2/5 Aug 21, 2015 03:33 Send this review to a friend
Getting this was a mistake  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got this purely for mobile/portable use - it was bought used/as new, so my comments should be read with that in mind. It's possible that mine had been interfered with, but I doubt it from its pristine appearance - it looked brand new in terms of use/abuse/being opened up etc.

However after one or two experiences of internal noises + finding it hard to tune an antenna I'd formerly had no trouble matching with my 949e I took a look inside. And found the antenna-capacitor had one vane very slightly distorted and so was brush- shorting at one position of its rotation. Not hard to fix, which I did. That particular problem went away.

However - I also have used for some time a 949E in the home shack and have found it a reliable and capable unit, only with some design features I think degrade its use in the real world. But it does match antennas with little trouble.

As a trial for the smaller tuner I tried the 945e on my main home antenna - the one formerly matched easily with the 949e - I found several bands only matched with considerable difficulty with its best SWR results less good than the larger model provided.

Getting only nominally-different results isn't an issue - this isn't after all lab-grade kit, it's pretty basic stuff made to a price - however it should do its job reasonably well. My example doesn't do that.

I wish I'd never got this tuner, most likely will pass it on as its results are difficult to have any confidence in. I'm using an antenna analyser to check these things, so not relying on the inbuilt meter. I also wondered if there could be RF leakage via the plastic side-plates. Thus far no evidence of this has been noted but I'd far rather they were made of metal and grounded well to the chassis.

This is a cheap matcher and it looks and feels like it. Which I would readily forgive if it functioned better.

KC8Y Rating: 2/5 Aug 20, 2015 11:56 Send this review to a friend
NO MORE MFJ, FOR ME!!!!! again, for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had, just recently acquired this tuner BRAND NEW.
Tested the device out; found numerous items-either
NOT wired/connected (switches for bypass, lamp and inductance control)...For the cost, should have worked--NO QC...Going to get another manufacturer,
don't mind a higher price for good quality...

SMAUG Rating: 0/5 Dec 5, 2014 05:37 Send this review to a friend
Arcs internally at less than 100 W  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this used from a fellow ham. (thanks for that) On the second day of ownership, while tuning my Kenwood TS-440S on a long wire antenna with 9:1 UNUN, I heard a weird sizzling sound and the cross needles started jumping all over the place.

I thought at first maybe dirty switch contacts, so I shut er down and cycled the inductor tap switch back and forth a few times. That didn't fix the problem.

This is without an amp, at maybe about 90 W; less than 1/3 of the tuner's rating.

I've asked the seller if I can return it for a refund. (bought it on swap.qth.com) If he says no, I'll have to leave him a negative post and pop it open to try to figure out where the arcing is happening. If it is to the case, it should be an easy fix with some electrical tape or an insulating sheet applied to the right spot. If proper spacing wasn't maintained and it is between wiring/connections of different circuits, that's easy too. If it's internal to the components, that's bad news. I'll read the rest of these reviews now for a clue.

The screws on the chassis look mint, so I don't think any monkeys have been inside it. (yet!) Therefore, I can only surmise that it is bad design by MFJ.

If I can't fix it, I'll probably pick up a nice LDG auto-tuner of some kind, when my checkbook recovers from this $100 mistake.

I really wanted to like this tuner. The inductor switch feels very solid; stops in position as it should. The cross needle meter is good, though hard to read at an angle. (as any analog meter is) The built-in dummy load was an attractive feature too.

W4KVW Rating: 4/5 Jan 2, 2014 21:51 Send this review to a friend
OK but not GREAT!   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Worked great on my G5RV on every band except 60 & 160 meters.It should not have worked on 160 meters because the G5RV is much to short.I did however think it would tune the G5RV on 60 meters but it would not get it below 2.5.1 or so.It also worked great on my Antron 99 for 10,12,& 15 meters.I purchased it used & it was well worth what I paid for it though the light was also out when I received it.

Clayton