Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-945-E Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-945-E
MFJ-945-E Reviews: 54 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $109.95
Description: 160 through 6 M 300 watt metered compact mobile antenna tuner
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-945E

You can write your own review of the MFJ-945-E.

KA7PUO Rating: 0/5 Jun 8, 2013 08:13 Send this review to a friend
no more MFJ  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
bought one new and tried it on 3 different antennas... Vertical, dipole and end fed herz.. this tuner did nothing. It did not even increase the noise level as per the instruction manual. Turning the inductance and antenna knobs had no results at all. The tuner DOES NOT WORK !!! I went through the manual 3 times all with the same result .. NADA !!!However the bypass button worked just fine (AT LEAST SOMETHING WORKED !!)
No more MFJ for me EVER !!

KA7PUO Rating: 0/5 Jun 8, 2013 07:35 Send this review to a friend
piece of junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
bought a new 945e on june 5, 2013. got it delivered, opened it and it looked good. tried it out on several different antennas with my Yaesu FT847.. Dipole, Vertical and end fed herz, None of them tuned as I went through the instruction manual. I did not even get a change when tuning for increase in noise level as described in the manual. no change from any setting with the inductor or antenna tuning controls. I am thoroughly disgusted with this piece of worthless trash.. NO More MFJ !!!!

K4HYJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2013 20:32 Send this review to a friend
In the go box  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been using this tuner with a portable HF rig in a go box for field day and ARES exercises. I use it with a couple of cut dipoles for 20 meters and 80 meters. I have recently been using it with a screwdriver portable in the field. It tunes fine and the meter seems accurate enough. On 100 watts out, it compares with my bird 43 - same with 25 watts.

I like the fact it has a bypass switch and a lighted dial that can be turned on or off.

K5YY Rating: 0/5 Jan 14, 2013 11:33 Send this review to a friend
Horrible product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Was given one, no arcing hisory, looked OK inside before I used it. Checked caps and components. OK at 100w transceiver power but trying at just 1/2 stated power rating is a BIG mistake. This should be labeled 300 PEP and only about 100 CW keydown. Suggest you spend a tad more and get a good USED Drake MN7 300 watt rated tuner or an MN2000/2700 with a true KW rating, just in case you ever want to run a 200 watt transceiver or a KW amp. You will do a LOT more damage to your rig than the extra cost of a decent, good used tuner. STAND CLEAR at all cost!

KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2013 04:29 Send this review to a friend
A Tuner Has To Know It's Limitations  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had my 945-E for over 9 years. I know enough to not feed ANY MFJ tuner at it's rated power. This is equipment built to a price point and if you acknowledge that, it will give you many years of service. At 100W, I can tune anything short of a wet string.

IT9JCB Rating: 1/5 Jan 13, 2013 16:53 Send this review to a friend
Dangerous !!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is my second review.
Just to say you that this piece of metal destroyed the final transistors of my beloved solide state 300W amplifier.
I was simply tuning my 80m vertical for high SWR, may be using just a bit more than 300W, the variable capacitors arced and I got my transistors blowed.
Stay away from It....It very dangerous !

NW9T Rating: 4/5 Oct 1, 2012 10:21 Send this review to a friend
Long Run Report  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the MFJ-945E for a few years and have used it quite a bit with a variety of antennas. MOST of the time it works as expected. There were a few home brewed antennas it failed on, that I was able to tune using my old Dentron Jr.

Construction is cheap, and this is not a rugged piece of equipment. This tuner has never been dropped or abused and has simply sat on my shelf for all the time except for twice about two years ago. Last night I was getting some weird watts out readings and noticed the meter had fallen inside the case. Opening it this morning it appears the plastic back of the meter has dried out and broke at it's mounting point as well as several other points. Nobody else has access to the shack so I know it wasn't an accident I can blame on anyone. They sure don't make equipment as robust as they did in the 70s and before.

KE4SWC Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2012 23:23 Send this review to a friend
Works good!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought it on consignment from HRO for a good price. I had just purchased a used ft857d and needed a small rugged tuner for backpacking - this seemed to fit the bill. It has been on a few expeditions already and has tuned a flimsy dipole literally slung up in some trees just fine. The meter works good - while tuning at 20watts it reads just a tad over 20.

Using it at 100 watts has been fine - I've had to tweak a setting a time or two because of the wind moving my antenna a little too much. No problems at all at full power - tunes 6 meters quite well also.

I've already dropped it while unpacking on the trail. Besides a little dent and some paint damage - it continues to work fine!

ZL1SW Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2012 16:40 Send this review to a friend
grate little tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
hi all,had this tuner for over 5 years now,looks like some are not happy with them,well i have given my one a real hard time,seems to like it rough hi hi,use it mobile all the time running a alinco dx 70th into a old tx5500 300 watt amp from 20mtr up to 10mtr,the build could be better as the plastic side pannels came off so i glued them back on ,never had any arcing,still looks good inside,and still using in the wagon 4x4 .if i ever kill it i will get another one, cheers all tony zl1sw

W0ACE Rating: 1/5 Jul 15, 2012 20:05 Send this review to a friend
Arching with anything over 50 watts....  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Would be a good QRP tuner. Seems to work fine with low power, tunes easy then. Get it set flat, then crank up the power(100 watts)and it goes bananas! Will start arching and frying, sounds like it comes from the Antenna knob. Has bad coupling to your hand when adjusting. Think I will be boxing it up and sending it back. I love the size, the meter, tune/bypass. Just wish it would work. Hummm....Seems to be common thing I hear about MFJ stuff! Disappointment!!!