Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-945-E Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-945-E
MFJ-945-E Reviews: 48 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $109.95
Description: 160 through 6 M 300 watt metered compact mobile antenna tuner
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-945E

You can write your own review of the MFJ-945-E.

NW9T Rating: 4/5 Oct 1, 2012 10:21 Send this review to a friend
Long Run Report  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the MFJ-945E for a few years and have used it quite a bit with a variety of antennas. MOST of the time it works as expected. There were a few home brewed antennas it failed on, that I was able to tune using my old Dentron Jr.

Construction is cheap, and this is not a rugged piece of equipment. This tuner has never been dropped or abused and has simply sat on my shelf for all the time except for twice about two years ago. Last night I was getting some weird watts out readings and noticed the meter had fallen inside the case. Opening it this morning it appears the plastic back of the meter has dried out and broke at it's mounting point as well as several other points. Nobody else has access to the shack so I know it wasn't an accident I can blame on anyone. They sure don't make equipment as robust as they did in the 70s and before.

KE4SWC Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2012 23:23 Send this review to a friend
Works good!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought it on consignment from HRO for a good price. I had just purchased a used ft857d and needed a small rugged tuner for backpacking - this seemed to fit the bill. It has been on a few expeditions already and has tuned a flimsy dipole literally slung up in some trees just fine. The meter works good - while tuning at 20watts it reads just a tad over 20.

Using it at 100 watts has been fine - I've had to tweak a setting a time or two because of the wind moving my antenna a little too much. No problems at all at full power - tunes 6 meters quite well also.

I've already dropped it while unpacking on the trail. Besides a little dent and some paint damage - it continues to work fine!

ZL1SW Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2012 16:40 Send this review to a friend
grate little tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
hi all,had this tuner for over 5 years now,looks like some are not happy with them,well i have given my one a real hard time,seems to like it rough hi hi,use it mobile all the time running a alinco dx 70th into a old tx5500 300 watt amp from 20mtr up to 10mtr,the build could be better as the plastic side pannels came off so i glued them back on ,never had any arcing,still looks good inside,and still using in the wagon 4x4 .if i ever kill it i will get another one, cheers all tony zl1sw

W0ACE Rating: 1/5 Jul 15, 2012 20:05 Send this review to a friend
Arching with anything over 50 watts....  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Would be a good QRP tuner. Seems to work fine with low power, tunes easy then. Get it set flat, then crank up the power(100 watts)and it goes bananas! Will start arching and frying, sounds like it comes from the Antenna knob. Has bad coupling to your hand when adjusting. Think I will be boxing it up and sending it back. I love the size, the meter, tune/bypass. Just wish it would work. Hummm....Seems to be common thing I hear about MFJ stuff! Disappointment!!!

N8SUT Rating: 0/5 Jul 13, 2012 08:37 Send this review to a friend
NOT TOO GOOD...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this new to use as a combination mobile/portable tuner as I needed something that will do 200w. I set it up on my desk and tried to test it on my Hustler BTV-4 on 40 meters with my TS-480HX (200w). The BTV-4 is a 2:1 antenna without a tuner. It tuned up O.K. at 5w, but major arcing started at anything above 75w. I changed the inductor setting and retuned as specified in the manual. Arcing at 125w now. Disappointing to say the least... I have a MFJ-949 that works great for the price. I was hoping to get similar performance with this one. Debating to keep for QRP only use or punt it back to MFJ...

W3PO Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2011 02:42 Send this review to a friend
good little tuner  Time owned: months
I was given one of these years ago, and still own it. I do not use it mobile but in the shack it has done its duties without any major issues.

K7ZGQ Rating: 4/5 Oct 10, 2011 10:20 Send this review to a friend
great product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I would give it 5 if the capacitors were not so weak looking. they didn't have a proper backing so I replaced them with some pulls out of an astron tuner! Go oldschool! worked fine before i modded it,now its a little tougher so my bumpy old pickup don't break it. Internals looked fine besides the weak caps. was put together well. great engineering!

KG4YMC Rating: 4/5 Jul 15, 2011 18:07 Send this review to a friend
works ok, had some lose switch , inductor and antenna con.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I did one review, went into cyberspace, it is ok unit, got mine from former elmer sk, w4 gjm , I use it with ncg tribander and g5rv, on l5 and 40 , will tune on six also . Onely three bands I have so do't know about other bands. I have talked all over with it , into south pacfic , falklands , just got off talking to portugual , been useing it for 4 years now . Negative, had to tighten antenna mounting screw, onely two, and inductor switch nut came lose, I have used it ok on base, but guess could see point on not holding up for mobile use. l0 watts it works great as qrp type unit , been good value, even for mfj kg4ymc see if this stays on review 5 minutes..

N4MJG Rating: 3/5 Jul 15, 2011 12:30 Send this review to a friend
Could be little better !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine is ok ,but could be little better on this tuner. i use at home when upgrade to general at that time.i needed tuner for my G5RV !

The tuner need to ship out for repair when ever i get time to send it out ! will know when i get the tuner back, i'm going to use on go box !!!

Jackie
N4MJG

G6EGM Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2011 09:07 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Value  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I think this is probably the only Antenna Tuner that is small, neat, has an antenna bypass switch and tunes 1.8 Mhz through to 54 Mhz with a metering system too.

It tunes a wide range of impedances and generally I have found it to work very well.

The build quality is very good for an MFJ product too.