Reviews Categories | Receive Accessories | QRM Eliminator X-Phase by RA0SMS Help

Reviews Summary for QRM Eliminator X-Phase by RA0SMS
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $75
Description: Noise eliminator
More info: http://www.ra0sms.ru/p/qrm-eliminator-x-phase.html

You can write your own review of the QRM Eliminator X-Phase by RA0SMS.

G0CGL Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2017 01:13 Send this review to a friend
Inexpensive and does the job  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
There are several competing products for antenna line noise cancellation devices. They all work on the same principle and even utilise similar circuit design. The ANC Timewave and MFJ devices are ridiculously expensive. Wimo's device is more moderately priced but Anton RA0SMS produces his device for $75 including shipping. The circuit employed is similar to the others and identical to Wimo.

I ordered mine via Anton's eBay sales. The stated 6 week shipping time was overly pessimistic and it arrived in under a month, with full tracking throughout its journey.

Apart from the obviously home-made control labels, the device is well constructed. It would be easy to smarten up the exterior.

Now, the use for which I wanted it: in my rural location I have nearly no noise except on 80mtrs from a power-pole transformer in a field adjacent to my property. It gives me S5 of noise. During rain, the noise is not present and my atmospheric band noise is S3. So I was hoping to use the device to phase out the noise by 1 to 2 S-points.

The critical component in the system, which determines how successful they operate, is the 'noise antenna'. It needs to inefficient at receiving the wanted signal, situated close to noise source, to receive as much of the unwanted signal as possible, and usually vertically polarised. I erected a spare HF mobile antenna at ground level on my property boundary as close to the power transformer as I could get it.

My first test of the X-phase was to deliberately generate some noise in the yard. I left an electric drill running. This gave me S9 of noise on 20mtrs. The X-phase took it out completely. So to 80mtrs - it wasn't hard to find the right combination of main antenna gain, noise antenna gain and phase to reduce the S5 of noise to a minimum amount. I managed a 1.5 S-point reduction. Testing in real-life on the CW end of the band shows that it makes the difference between reading low-level signals or not.