Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Emtron DX-2 Help

Reviews Summary for Emtron DX-2
Emtron DX-2 Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Legal limit amplifier using 4CX1600B PA tube.
More info: http://www.emtron.com.au/amplifiers.html

You can write your own review of the Emtron DX-2.

W4PIG Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2003 16:59 Send this review to a friend
GREAT AMP!!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
THE EMTRON DX-2 IS A GREAT AMP LOW DRIVE GIVES FULL LEGAL LIMIT OUTPUT. FAN IS QUIET AND VERY EASY TO LOAD UP ON ANY BAND. GOOD SUPPORT SERVICE FROM RUDI AT EMTRON. WANT GREAT AMP BUY A EMTRON YOU WANT BE SORRY!!!!

AL0L Rating: 4/5 Nov 2, 2002 12:49 Send this review to a friend
Nice Amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got the Amp this week.
After a first Inpection it seemed that the final Factory check on the Amp was not so good.
The display was loose and on the frontcover were missing two hex screws.
After fastening the board I turned the Amp on...
Of course the first few seconds did not happen anything because of the protection...only the fan came up.
After 3 Minute warming up the Amp was ready..
Checking with my K2 the Amp produced up to 500 Watts with 15 watts out.
With my IC756ProII on 60 watts the Amp gave 1600 Watts on RTTY. The dummy load went so hot I could bake an egg on it..
Internally the Amp is very well built.
Of course a final check would be optimum at the factory..
Very positiv: Emtron paid the shipping because I bought the Amp on the Hamradio in Friedrichshaven Germany. To HB9 it is well 200 US$.
I emailed the Factory. If they respond well I let you know.. If not also hi.
73 de Tom
HB9DOD AL0L

KL7RSG Rating: 4/5 May 11, 2002 14:28 Send this review to a friend
EMTRON DX-2 GU84B  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
THE EMTRON DX-2 AMP WITH THE GU84B TUBE HAS MANY IMPROVEMENTS OVER THE DX-2 WITH THE 4CX1600B. FIRST THE GU84B HAS 2500 WATTS OF PLATE DISSIPATION. ONE GREAT IDEA IN BUILDING AMPS TO HAVE THE AMP OVER TUBED AND UNDER POWER SUPPLIED.

THE DX-2 GU84B ALSO HAS SOME PROBLEMS.

THE FIRST PROBLEM WITH THE DX-2 WITH THE GU84B WAS THE RF SENSOR WENT BAD. EMTRON SENT A REPLACEMENT RF SENSOR AND THAT CURED THE PROBLEM.

SECOND PROBLEM WITH THE DX-2 WITH THE GU84B WAS A BLEEDER RESISTOR FAILED ON THE POWER SUPPLY. I FOUND THIS WHEN CHECKING THE AMP ONE DAY AND HAD DISCHARGED THE HIGH VOLTAGE SYSTEM AT THE PLATE TO GROUND. THEN I JUST DECIDED TO CHECK FOR VOLTAGE AT THE POWER SUPPLY AND SURPRISE I GOT A SPARK FROM THE TOP RESISTOR. THE BLEEDER RESISTORS USED ARE FROM THE U.S. AND I MUST SAY ANY COMPANY CAN HAVE A COMPONENT FAIL. RUDI OFFERED TO SEND A REPLACEMENT RESISTOR HOWEVER I HAD A FULL SET OF .5% RESISTORS SO I REPLACE THEM ALL.

THE VOLTAGE REGULATION IS NOT AS SOLID AS ON THE DX-2 WITH THE 4CX1600B. ON PEAKS THE PLATE VOLTAGE DROPS ABOUT 400 VOLTS ON 1.2KW PEAKS.

THE BAND SWITCH SHOWS THE SAME ARCING ON THE TOP MOUNTING POST AS WITH THE 4CX1600B BUT THE REST OF THE PROBLEMS HAVE BEEN FIXED WITH HEAVY DUTY COMPONENTS.

ALL IN ALL THE DX-2 WITH THE GU84B IS A BETTER AMP THAN THE ONE WITH THE 4CX1600B. MOST HAMS WOULD NOT HAVE ANY OF THE PROBLEMS I HAVE HAD WITH THE AMP AS I DO A LOT OF DIGITAL OPERATION, LIVE IN ALASKA, USE THE AMP MUCH MORE IN A YEAR THAN THE AVERAGE HAM WOULD IN A LIFETIME.

EMTRON IS STILL A BIT SLOW ON EMAIL AND GETTING INFORMATION TO THE CUSTOMER. WE ARE STILL WAITING ON THE CORRECT BOOK FOR THE DX-2 WITH THE GU84B AND THE SET UP SPECIFICATIONS.

WOULD I BUY ANOTHER EMTRON AMP? YES!

RALPH GAINES

OK1RI Rating: 2/5 Mar 20, 2002 06:29 Send this review to a friend
Nicely build - NO WARRANTY acceptance, NO SUPPORT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have bought the DX2 - still with the 4CX1600B prior to our T30R/T33RD DXpedition in 1999. It arrived and worked there until second last day - when the 160m fix C burn out together with one switch wafer. The difference in comparison with ETO-91BETA was it delivered only about 70% of the power. After coming home from Pacific I was trying to get some explanation why it delivers less power from Rudi but no answer (I was also trying to get the wafer but...).
I have met him in Friedrichshaven in 2000, he was "nice" he remembered me, he said ho got my emails but he was busy and could not find time to answer (!!!). He told me he remembers that he KNEW (!!!!) that the tube in my AMP was a bit "lazy" but he had no other and with the order I gave him fixed date for delivery... He promised to send me free of charge new 4CX1600B + new switch wafer. We agreed on forgetting about the capacitors. Weeks run but nothing came. I have sent emails - no reply. I was even trying to phone several time still no luck. I have sent registered letter, no reply. Finally I gave up. After some time it developed another failure. It worked OK for maybe an hour or so and than it was sort of strange, it was impossible to drive it, etc. After cooling it down it was again OK for a couple of minutes. I guessed it is the tube, and since I do have a couple of other AMPs I put this one aside. I gave up the idea of getting some help from Rudi. Later on (after 1.5 year) I put it on the bench and finaly find out, that the problem is in the 50Ohm Resistor in G1. Replaced it and works OK, still delivers 70% of power compared to ETO 89 or 91B. I have still not made the decision to byu the new 4CX1600B.

I have to say the AMP is very nicely build and engineered with mind that the things might eventually broken, most of the items are easily accesible. The quality of craftmanship is best I have seen in "Amateur" AMP. The failures I have had I do consider as "normall" or better to say much smaller then for instance QRO AMPs-worst piece of equipment I have ever owned in my 30+ years of Amateur radio.
Service and Support is NONEXISTENT. Warranty is two years but only on the paper. You can not expect to get something from the manufacturer, not a single screw. You can not trust to any promise, the policy of the manufacturer is to ignore you, they have your money, you have the AMP and they do not expect you will ever buy something again so why to bother with some service or support.
I just wonder why he responds to someone and ignores someone else ?
Jiri - OK1RI

VK2VZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2001 05:43 Send this review to a friend
Emtron dx2-V  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can say only one thing this amplifier is "supa'
As a keen VHF operator I can appritiate this excellent product. The VHF technology been superbly imlimented. First class workmenship.
And it works. Pumping out full leagal power key down no limit. The two speed fan is doing it,s job well.No noise problems.Now I can work the world no hassle.
Well done Emtronics you great product will go long way.

VK3ZPW Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2001 10:56 Send this review to a friend
Worlds Best Amps  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had the chance to test one of these amps for a day, laboratory testing.
What a piece of work and craftmanship, I am extremely impressed with the overall design and performance.
This would rate as the best amplifier that I have ever seen.
Brilliant Australian engineering, nothing compares.