Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Ed Fong TBJ-1 triband vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Ed Fong TBJ-1 triband vertical
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $60
Description: 7' tall PVC antenna with UHF female or N female connector on the bottom.
Antenna has low SWR on 2m, 220 and 440 bands.
More info: http://edsantennas.weebly.com

You can write your own review of the Ed Fong TBJ-1 triband vertical.

KA2DEW Rating: 3/5 Sep 2, 2017 10:22 Send this review to a friend
durable-no radials-low gain  Time owned: more than 12 months
The antenna is excellent for tossing in the back of a truck with no preparation, taking it directly from operational to storage. The lack of ground radials and low-tech housing make the thing trivial to maintain, repair, install and remove from service.

The only failings of the antenna are: 1. very low radiation gain. 2. no waterproofing on the coax connector. 3. no included mounting hardware.

I did a test on the antenna by placing a ground plane at the top of a 20' mast behind a 12' high house, and making 9 contacts to repeaters. I moved the mount to another random location 5' away or so, then made another 9 contacts. Then moved again and did 9 again. I trimmed the ground plane when moving from 2m to 220, and again to 440. I then placed a Comet CX333 antenna in the same location and made the same 27 contacts. Then did the Ed Fong TBJ-1 and did the same. My test was to see what kind of power output I needed (adjustable in 1dB increments) to just key the repeater. BTW, this took 4 hours to perform with help! I then averaged the results across each band.

My results showed that the CX333 was a few dB better than the ground plane, though my error was up to 2dB. The Ed Fong showed 10dB below the CX333 on 440, 6dB below on 220 and almost the same gain as the CX333 on 2m, maybe 1dB down.

I contacted Ed Fong about these results and we had a very nice phone call for an hour last week. He said that he was designing the antennas to be durable and cheap, low SWR, and to have no ground radials. He had no intention of competing with Comet. These are priorities and I can affirm that he has achieved these goals. The SWR on the antenna was great on all repeater frequencies on all 3 bands.