Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | DX Commander All-Band Vertical Help

Reviews Summary for DX Commander All-Band Vertical
DX Commander All-Band Vertical Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $150
Description: A Multi-Band (40m - 6m) 1/4 wave vertical antenna system that makes use of the original DX Commander pole.

Premium version includes everything needed to get up and running:
- DX Commander Pole
- 8x Stainless Steel hose clams
- 75cm of 8mm tubing
- 10cm heat-shrink sleeve
- 45cm black shock cord
- 100cm 3mm Heavy-duty cord for attaching elements at top
- 6m 550 Paracord for guying the mast
- 100m insulated wire (enough for all elements and 20x 4m radials)
- Ground Plate with SO239 connector and fly-lead
- Driven Element plate
- 6mm Nylon guying plate
- 3mm Upper spreader plate
- Enough nuts, bolts and connectors for 6 elements and 11 radial connectors.

The DX Commander is based on the same technique / principle as a fan-dipole.
More info: http://www.m0mcx.co.uk/store/products/dx-commander-premium-build-hf-multi-band-vertical-system/

You can write your own review of the DX Commander All-Band Vertical.

MW0BRO Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2017 05:07 Send this review to a friend
Versatile & Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I've had this antenna for a few months now.

I bought it after watching Callum's extensive videos and speaking with him personally.

I found him to be a very personable character, very generous with his time and also very knowledgeable about his creation.

Sorry to use a cliche but, "it does what it says on the tin".

As Callum explains in his videos, you'll need a little bit of time for faffing around with it, burying the radials and cutting the elements to length etc.

Once this has been done, you're good to go.

An antenna analyser is a distinct advantage (I didn't have one) to save a lot of jogging back and fore to the shack. But it can be achieved without one, it's just a bit frustrating.

I've ended up with a 4 element versions, 40m, 30m, 20m & 17m quarter waves. The 40m element of course works as a 5/8 wave on 15m.

I did try it with 10m and 12m elements also but I failed to get those to resonate.

However, with my onboard tuner on my old Icom 746 it selects one of the wires to work quite effectively on 12m, 10m & 6m.

I have used a SOTABeams guying ring over the third from top pole section to guy the pole at a top level also. This guying ring is effectively an inch square piece of plastic with 4 holes drilled in it, very lightweight.

However, using this antenna as a permanent fixture will require some monitoring of the weather forecast here in the UK as in high winds there is going to be some pole damage over time.

But Callum's simple design means that this antenna is very simple to lay down prior to a storm arriving; You simply unhook the 3 carabiners from the lower spreader, disconnect the red wire from SO239 to element plate and lay the pole down.

I have quite long paracord guy ropes for the top guying system which allows me to just slacken off so they don't even have to be disconnected.

Notwithstanding these limitations during high winds, the only negative I've had to deal with is to give the elements a bit of a shake when they've become snagged on the jubilee clips on occasion of twisted together during a bit of wind but this is only very occasional and not a hinderance to operating at all.

I'd previously had only a balanced fed doublet to use on all bands 80-6 and this antenna has been MUCH better. I regularly work into ZL on 40m and getting through to DX is a hell of a lot easier. Even allowing for the fact that it's a vertical with the associated noise level, I can hear stations on the DX Commander that I cannot hear at all when I switch back to the doublet.

All in all, this is a great antenna, for a great price. The quality of the engineered parts is excellent. The time and knowledge put into this project by Callum is exceptional.

I've enjoyed every element of learning about, purchasing, erecting and using this antenna. It's a fantastic concept, quite simple in it's design and best of all, it gets results.

I'm looking at buying another for /P use although it wouldn't take long to just disconnect the radials from the radial plate, slacken off the jubilee clips and just retract the antenna intact ready for re-erection in the field with a second set of radials.

DL2FDJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2017 12:33 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna, get one!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna mainly for portable use. Assembly was easy and fast. At first I was hesitant to add the 80m element but it actually was easy to do. Now I run it as an inverted L antenna with great results. I am using the antenna from 80 to 10m with 750w.

As a matter of fact, it is up in the yard for over a month now because it performs so well! If you plan to spend money for a ground mounted vertical, don't be a fool and spend big bucks for a mayor brand name antenna, the DX Commander is all you need for a fraction of the cost.

BTW, top customer support by Callum, we had a really nice chat on the phone, awesome guy!

2E0MRZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2017 05:06 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna system for home or portable use  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I live in a small town house with a small garden (5m x 5m) that does not lend itself to the installation of HF antenna equipment. I also have a somewhat challenging neighbour, and therefore opted to use portable antenna systems and accepting the compromise as a result.

The DX Commander offered the an alternative. A collapsible 1/4 wave system which could be configured to operate on multiple bands (40m to 6m) without the need to reconfigure once it is deployed.

I opted to order the Premium kit via Callum's (M0MCX) website as a bit of a weekend project to put things together. It arrived within a couple of days of order in a well protected bundle - much to the bemusement of the XYL.

The biggest headache for me was separating the D10 twisted pair cable, and cutting the elements down to size. Why the headache.... the Cat felt the need to try and nick every length of wire cut.

Plan the cutting well and there is enough wire in the kit (100m in total) that'll given all the elements (40m, 30m, 20m, 17m, 12m, 10m) with enough left over for 20 radials.

The pole is nice and solid and has withstood a bit of a battering from me during both initial assembly and also use in the field.

At home, I opt to tether the antenna with all of the elements installed to one of the benches in the garden. Easier to deploy at home by extending the pole fully and raising it off the ground using a few garden chairs.

Out on the Mountains of Sussex, UK... It takes me about 30 minutes to put all the hardware onto the pole, get things locked into place and then affix all the elements. I carry a load of cable-ties in with my portable kit, so make use of these to tether the pole to any substantial fence post or bollard.

QSO's have resulted in good reports from those I've worked using my Yaesu FT-817 on the 40m and 20m bands for both SSB and Data modes (I'm a PSK addict!)

Callum provided first-class support after ordering the kit and is incredibly responsive to email with any queries. He also shares updates and modifications on his website. A top-notch chap to do business with, and he's got a great website where he shares his knowledge.

As a newbie to the hobby; this Antenna solution has opened up my enjoyment of the hobby given the limitations of operating from home.