Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Alinco DJ-195T Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DJ-195T
Alinco DJ-195T Reviews: 31 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $179
Description: 2M only HT
More info: http://www.alinco.com/Products/DJ-195

You can write your own review of the Alinco DJ-195T.

ADAM2 Rating: 3/5 Feb 3, 2011 20:38 Send this review to a friend
Decent 2 meter  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this several years ago, before I had a license. I received my license about a week ago, so finally I got a chance to try it out.

In order to adjust the squelch and the volume, you must press (1) function, (2) squelch or volume, and then (3) turn the top knob, and then (4) press any other key to set the adjustment.

Later this week, I had the pleasure of picking up a used Yaesu FT-60R. It's such a joy, with separate knobs for squelch and volume, that I began to regret buying the DJ-195T. This is especially true when the two cost about the same amount (used FT-60R vs. new DJ-195T), and the FT-60R gives you 70cm/440Mhz.

Still, it's a good unit.

W0CBF Rating: 4/5 Aug 21, 2007 15:14 Send this review to a friend
Good value for the $$$  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can't find any major flaws with this rig. Purchased mine used from eBay for $65. I agree with the other OM's that the battery doesn't seem to last as long as it should or has in my other HT's.

One thing that I don't like is the way Alinco does their volume control and that is to press the "VOL" button on the keypad and then turn the freq knob to set the level( between 0 and 20). This a pain when all you want to do is turn the volume up or down.

All in all, worth the money!

KC9DHE Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2003 22:09 Send this review to a friend
Great HT!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this radio at a hamfest. I am knew to ham radio and this little radio was a good starting experience for me. Easy to operate and with external antennas for home and mobile operation, there wasn't a repeater that I couldn't hit with it. Even at the low power setting, i had good signal reports. The only thing that I don't like, is the fact that it requires a keypad button to be pushed to change the volume and squelch levels. I don't think it would have taken all that nuch to put two extra knobs on the radio. I would highly recommend this radio under $80 with a good battery. Always ask about the battery.

W3ZV Rating: 3/5 Dec 30, 2002 19:19 Send this review to a friend
Sort of okay, not great  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this as a backup radio. Works fairly well for what it is, but I have a problem with the battery being dead every time I need it as a backup. Battery lasts about ten days from full charge to dead with NO USE. My otherl HTs are still useable after a month or more.

KB3GIO Rating: 4/5 Dec 30, 2002 18:52 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for New Hams  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first HT. I went with this over the Radio Shack HTX-200, which was going to be my initial choice.

Pros: 2m @ 5 Watts, packed with features, easy to use, easy to program, can take a few good falls.

Cons: lacking some realtively important features (I know that sounds like it contradicts my "pros" statement, but if you own the radio you probably know what I mean {e.g., reverse check button, etc.}), short battery life.

I still have mine, but it needs a new BNC connector. This is my own error as I continously replaced antennas and wore down the connector significantly.

LA4YKA Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2002 05:20 Send this review to a friend
good enough  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Working very well for my use, got all i need for less money. No problem at all.

AA2T Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2002 21:28 Send this review to a friend
Good Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
Used it @5W level in the car for extended periods and holds up well. Using Maha 1700mah AAs in it. Only issue is the spring clips in the alkaline case are to stiff and sometimes there's an intermittent.

N6STA Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2002 06:45 Send this review to a friend
Good Basic 2M HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use this HT as a low-power mobile to a mag-mount 1/4 wave. Basically I can work whatever I can hear, and it hears pretty well. 5W with the included NiCds generally does the job.

A small downside is the lack of a separate volume knob - you have to press a button to change to volume mode, a slight annoyance when mobile.

K6SDW Rating: 4/5 Jun 27, 2002 20:33 Send this review to a friend
Good Basic 2m HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
Damn good HT.....very durable and reliable. My only complaint, however (considering it cost me only $99 brand new!!) I have to find the manual to make any programming changes. Also antenna supplied doesn't seem as efficient as it could be and I bought another, longer antenna which works much better!

K9VKG Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2002 18:52 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've never had a problem with this radio. It's very easy to use and is very durable.