Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Alinco DJ-195T Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DJ-195T
Alinco DJ-195T Reviews: 31 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $179
Description: 2M only HT
More info: http://www.alinco.com/Products/DJ-195

You can write your own review of the Alinco DJ-195T.

KD5AIA Rating: 4/5 Jun 18, 2002 21:53 Send this review to a friend
best value for price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
bought mine for 55 bucks at Hamcom Dallas from
Radio Shack. comes with alkaline battery pack
but you can take that apart and jumper around
the diode, load rechargable nicads and save
yourself another 40 bucks instead of buying
separate battery pack.
DONT use alkaline batteries after modifying
case or you'll have a meltdown.
Yeh, having to hit Func to change volume and
squelch is pain, but now adays with repeaters,
I seldom touch squelch anyway.
Cheaper than buying a handheld scanner.
Take off battery and perfect APRS HT for balloons
etc.

KD4SAI Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2002 01:30 Send this review to a friend
Great solid and reliable Hand Held  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have purchased this Alinco from the flea market for $85.00. I really have enjoyed the surprises this radio has, it seems like you can never stop learning things with this radio. The audio is excellent in both transmit and receive and the transmit power output is very even throughout the band spread of the radio along with the receive sensitivity. This radio has great adjacent frequency rejection against a few powerful local transmitting towers transmitting in the 160MHZ range that my other rigs can't seem to filter out. The radio seems to run a long time on a single charge with the optional 1650 mah rechargeable battery pack, but not too bad with the orginal 600MAH Nicad pack which lasts alot longer than the previous radio (Icom W32a) with it's orginal battery pack. This radio is built to last and is solid and looks and feels as though it can survive through abuse and rough handling. I would recommend anyone to buy this radio, or at least buy the DJ196 or their dualband which I have ordered (DJ-596T).

N3TVQ Rating: 4/5 Mar 4, 2002 12:06 Send this review to a friend
Cheap And Works  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought mine to be used as a mobile rig in a compact pickup with no room for a mobile rig. I didnt want to spend all the money for a rig with a remote head for the one day a week I use FM. I paid $99 for it (new) at Radioshack.com. Not the best HT in the world but an awesome value for $100. Highly recommended if you want a cheap full featured HT and dont care about size.

KG4LIZ Rating: 3/5 Sep 16, 2001 17:56 Send this review to a friend
OK Backup  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I HAVE HAD THIS RADIO FOR ABOUT 3 MONTHS....OK RADIO FOR THE MONEY($99)...A FEW REMARKS:
EVERY TIME YOU SWITCH FREQUENCIES IT GOES BACK TO LOW POWER

SLOW SCAN........

BUT I HAVE THREE HT'S TOTAL AND I AM PORTABLE ALOT BUT WHEN IM PORTABLE I USUALLY TAKE THE
IC-2AT OR TH-G71A......BUT SOMETIMES I TAKE THE DJ-195.........ITS A OK BACKUP RADIO I WOULDNT USE IT AS MY HEAD RADIO....BUT BACKUP...YEA

I HOPE THIS HELPED
DANNY KG4LIZ

N3WWN Rating: 4/5 Jul 9, 2001 17:08 Send this review to a friend
Great radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased 2 of these radios ($90 each on sale + 10% credit card signup discount at Radio Shack). One for myself as a backup radio and one for the XYL (KB3GVK) as her first radio.
I chose the DJ-195T for her since it is capable of 5W output with external power in (or the NiCD pack - sold seperately) and the fact that it has alphanumeric memories, except for the calling frequency.
While the externally powered output of 5W is slightly lower than my HTX-202's 6W, the excellent receive sensitivity and extended receive (and the easily moded extended tx) now makes this radio my primary HT and the HTX-202 sits in the shack most of the time.
The 195T actually picks up NOAA WX radio better than my dedicated SAME WX radio.
Now, for the "problems" I've encountered so far, which by no means make me regret my purchase, mind you:
1) Battery indicator always shows empty (need to recharge) even with fresh batteries.
2) Very slow scan rate. With 40 memories, it takes more than a few seconds to scan them all. I currently have only about 25 memories filled and a scan cycle takes approx 7-10 seconds.
3) Non-variable timed scan. The length of time the radio stays on a busy station is just long enough to get you interested but not long enough to actually hear anything useful.
4) No priority scan. I'd like to be able to keep a constant ear on the calling freq. Many scanners and HTs keep checking the priority/calling freq for activity while on another freq or while scanning.
Even with these 4 "problems", I'm very happy with the radio. Please note that the issues I have with the radio are related to it's scanning capabilities and not directly to it's quality or performance. I've received several unsolicited "Hey! Great signal!" and "Excellent audio!" reports.
Also, the radio is small enough to fit into a small cellular phone holder for mobile use and uses the same speaker/mic connections as my HTX-202. Yet another plus since my speaker mic and packet connections work without modification.
So, without further babbling *hihi*, I recommend this single band radio...especially to anyone with a HTX-202 or Icom 02AT if you don't wish to rewire your packet or PC Soundcard connections (PSK31/slow scan/etc) or wish to reuse your current speaker-mic.

KD5OMZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2001 14:55 Send this review to a friend
GREAT radio for the price! ($99)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought an Alinco DJ-195 from Radioshack.com for $99 (unfortunately they don't have any more of them) on a closeout sale. For $99, you can't find a better radio. It has 40 memories plus 1 call channel memory. Also you can receive from 130-170 MHz, which allows you to hear NOAA weather frequencies. The radio operates at either 800 mW or 5 W, but even with low power I get great ranges. Even at the list price, this radio is better than RadioShack's handhelds. I'm not sure if Alinco still makes the 195; if not, the 196 has all of the same features plus a few extra. Definitely a good backup or beginner's radio!

KL3NP Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2001 19:08 Send this review to a friend
Great radio, excellent value  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had my 196 (same as 195) for 3 months now. I have found it to be a great little HT. It has
terrific audio, a solid feel to it, and is easy to use. I also own a dual-bander, but I find myself
picking up the 196 most every day. It is easier to carry since it's smaller. I found mine on sale
at AES (Dayton Special), for $109. You just can't beat it. I am not fond of the wall charger, so
I modified my drop in charger for my DJ-G5 so that it takes both radios easily. I like a stand
up charger! Highly recommend this HT to anyone. You just can't go wrong.

KG4JBO Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2001 14:08 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performer  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Receiver has great sensitivity with no intermod on chose stations. Has most of the features your looking for and easy to program. The radio feels like it is put together pretty solidly and is very affordable.

KD5MFU Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2001 17:41 Send this review to a friend
This is a great radio for new hams!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The Alinco DJ-195T is a great radio for new hams or anyone who wants outstanding performance from a 2 meter HT. I personally enjoy its ability to be programmed directly from the keypad, ability to scan for frequencies and that it is small but puts out 5 watts. It is very easy to use and is now on sale for $100 (I paid $123 for mine at a hamfest 8 months ago). If you want more info about the Alinco email me at KD5MFU99@yahoo.com.

N1GXW Rating: 1/5 Jun 3, 2001 22:26 Send this review to a friend
I WILL NEVER STRAY AGAIN  Time owned: more than 12 months
I ALWAYS BOUGHT KENWOOD EQUIPMENT BUT THOUGHT I WOULD TRY SOMETHING NEW.I NEEDED A NEW HT SO I GAVE THE DJ195 A SHOT.AS I SPEAK IT IS ON IT,S WAY BACK TO ALINCO FOR REPAIR.IT HAS A FACTORY DEFECT.THE BATTERY WILL DISCHARGE IF LEFT ON THE RADIO WITH THE HT TURNED OFF IN A DAY OR TWO.THIS IS WHAT I HAVE TO JUDGE MY FIRST PIECE OF ALINCO BY...I KNOW IN THE FUTURE I WON,T BE SPENDING MY HAM RADIO CASH ON THAT JUNK...KENWOOD..ICOM..YEASU, I'M COMING HOME..FRANK..N1GXW.