Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Mosley Pro 67B Help

Reviews Summary for Mosley Pro 67B
Mosley Pro 67B Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $$955.00
Description: 40 thru 10 Meter Beam, 7 elements on a 24 foot boom
More info: http://Mosley@mosley-electronics.com

You can write your own review of the Mosley Pro 67B.

VE3CWJ Rating: 3/5 Oct 3, 2011 10:42 Send this review to a friend
Good but watch out for corrosion  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine since 1995, used it for about 8 years, then went into storage. I'm re-building it now, using DX Engineering 3/8" ubolts instead of the 5/16" Mosley uses. I agree another reviewer that many of the lock washers are corroded - use SS only when rebuilding. Same issue with corrosion for the traps.
Most of the traps now show high resistance, or even infinite ohms across the traps. The problem is the rivets inside the traps have no anti-oxidant on them. The wire and rivets look clean and almost shiny after 16 years, but are corroded in between. You have to drill out the rivet (where possible - 4 traps have full windings on one end, covering the rivets - must be re-wound) and use SS screws (with Penatrox). Also, many of the "plastic" forms inside have split or broken in two, due to drifting of the outside element inwards (only a 1/4" or so). Solution is to gently force the two halves back together, and put in a SS screw in the broken half that is on the outside part of the trap. (inside half is held by rivet/screw). Hopefully that will keep it from drifting any more. Trap covers are all split as well - use liquid rubber tape, or some other waterproofing to seal the traps when finishd re-building them.
Final issue is the mounting blocks for the driven elements. Mosley using only #10 (or #12?)machine screws is a bad idea. I've lost 3 of them from the bottom of the support arms, probably due to vibration over the years. I've re-build these with wider aluminum channel, and DX Eng. resin blocks (1-1/8" dia.). These driven elements are then all held down with 1/4" SS bolts and SS backing plates for the resin blocks. - Much more sturdy (and a bit heavier too)
I like this beam in general, it performed well on a 64ft tower before, but corrosion is a serious concern in their design of the beam - and I live nowhere near any salt water... Replace any lockwashers with real SS ones, use anti-seize on all u-bolts, and be prepared to fix the traps within 15 years, unless Mosley has changed their design since 16 years ago...

W0AFS Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2011 10:19 Send this review to a friend
very pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The antenna is at 92 foot on a an-wireless HD-92. The SWR was as good if not lower than shown. I took my time and really measured to the nats hair. It payed off. Well made and easy to put together for the frequency you want due to pre markings (factory) and pre drilled holes for pinning. (screws) Perfect fit.. Been getting signal reports with 80 to 90 watts DX I have dreamed about. Don't be in a hurry for it.
It will take time but its worth the wait and its not cheap in cost or quality. Quality costs....

WS4B Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2008 18:57 Send this review to a friend
A 100 watt pile up buster!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I must preface saying that I am rating the antenna a 5/5, but Mosley customer service a 3.5/5 for this review.

This antenna rocks! I am an avid DX chaser and I quickly noticed that I can run barefoot with this antenna and compete with the "Big Boys" on Kilowatt Alley." I have yet to use an amp with this antenna, and I bust through pile ups on no worse than the third of fourth try. I only have the antenna 36 feet above ground, yet it is performing very well on 20 and even 40 meters at this height.

Now, DO NOT expect to order this antenna and expect to have it the next week or even the next month. Mine took almost 10 weeks to arrive, so you need to be patient. The reason why I rate Mosley’s customer service at 3.5/5 is because there were delays on shipment of the antenna that I had to inquire about. Mosley never took the initative to tell me there was going to be any delays. I only found out when promised delivery time lapsed with no antenna. I would have to call THEM and only then would they explain the delays. Both times there was a delay (allegedly) of them waiting on traps.

However despite the waiting period, the antenna is far worth the wait!! If you are a serious DXer, this antenna should be taken into serious consideration. I feel I made an excellent choice. Photo of my PRO-67B is available by e-mailing me and asking for a pic.

Brad W4BJM
E-mail: bmessick@tampabay.rr.com

VE2VOL Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2008 09:37 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great antenna,
Has been up for almost 14 Years without any problems..
Performance still excellent All swr curves meet specs.
Ice storms survival, high wind survival, big snow storms survival... (I had to replace Capacitance Hats after the big 97' Ice Storm )
Use 60 Ft. Trylon Tower &
Yeasu SDX-1000 Rotator
Hydro-Power (Quebec) should use the same Aluminum..
Francoys
VE2VOL

IK5HHA Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2006 16:06 Send this review to a friend
Great !!  Time owned: more than 12 months
No problem, only a great satisfaction on all band.
'73 de Luca ik5hha
mobile 347.8245463

AF4Z Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2005 17:51 Send this review to a friend
Good 6-Band HF Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the PRO-67B used and have owned it for about 8 years. One thing I have found, it's a dependable antenna. Even on 40 meters, I have worked DX stations easily I thought would be very hard. It is mounted on a Rohn 25G guyed tower at 55 feet and VSWR is much like the manual states for CODE 1 (CW). One thing this antenna does not have is high F/B . You will find perhaps 10 dB at best on the upper bands but for me, this is not a problem. If higher F/B is needed, get the 67C. If you are looking for a nice all around HF Beam antenna for 40, 20, 17, 15, 12 and 10 meters, I think the Mosley PRO-67B is a good choice. For me, it was a great choice.

WA6BOJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2001 14:12 Send this review to a friend
Excellent overall antenna, single feedline  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had Pro 67A several years at 71 feet. It is a durable and reliable antenna. Rather heavy approximately 100 lbs. Single feedline is a very nice feature. Take the time to apply conductive compound at every joint and at every connection. Performed this at every trap and even internal to trap. SWR good all bands except 20M edges. Gain is comparable to most tribanders. 1-2 s units better than most dipoles and verticals used as a reference. F/B approximately 2 s units typical. Making a 6 band antenna perform well is a complex and challenging design task. The overall result balances compromises with reliable service and peformance

AA9HX Rating: 1/5 Jun 18, 2001 17:10 Send this review to a friend
poor design, very bad company !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Product Review: Mosley Pro67B 7 element 6 band trap yagi antenna

By Pedro M.J. Wyns ON7WP-AA9HX

Preface: after having used a TH3JRS by Hygain for about ten years, I moved to a new house and while waiting 2.5 years for a tower permit I restored and used a Cushcraft A4S. When the license arrived I wanted a single multiband antenna for HF as my tower is already loaded with 8 beams for VHF-UHF and 4 omnidirectional antennas...
Another Ham had to sell his 4 year old PRO67B because he lived in the middle of the city of Gent and his new neighbours didn't appreciate the faeces of the multiple birds residing on the beam...

Primary inspection:
Upon arrival the antenna looked OK except for the two plastic rings of the gaying cable attachment to the boom. I also discovered that in contrary to the brochures of Mosley not all the parts were stainless steel, and the penalty for this significant error is heavy corrosion at all lockwashers and at the feedline and phasing line connection.
I also checked all connections and first I must say that Penatrox is a great product inhibiting the typical aluminium-on-aluminium white powder corrosion rendering all connections bad. The alu joints were just perfect after 4 years in our polluted sky. The traps however showed BIG resistances, traced to the joint between the coil and the rivet inside the trap. Alu-on-alu without Penatrox. Perhaps it would have been a better choice using a SS bolt instead of this rivet. I replaced it anyhow. I decided to write the guys at Mosley a letter using E-mail, perhaps too progressive for a company that calls itself conventional...

After these findings, I did send the following letter to Mosley and did not get any response until now...

From Pedro M.J. Wyns, July 17th 2000

Moutstraat 7
B-2220 Hallaar
Belgium Europe
Fax +3215409696
E-mail aa9hx@arrl.net

Some comments on your antennas is order to improve your products:

I recently acquired a pro-67-B ser. 563001 that was up in the air for about three years in a Belgian urban area. Before reinstalling it at my home I thoroughly checked the whole thing and the results were frightening...

The antenna is sold as being all stainless steel however al lock washers were totally oxidized and also completely contaminated the surrounding screws and U-bolts. Please use only similar materials, DO NOT MIX stainless steel with ordinary zinc-stuff.

Checking the traps with a milliohm meter revealed two major defects. First the contact between the trap and the element is only made with a single self tapping screw. Slightly moving the element revealed transfer resistances between 0.5 and 15 ohms, sometimes completely losing contact. Hard wind makes the antenna completely useless. I would suggest replacing the self tappers by a completely through the element bolt, or better two spaced 90 degrees apart with a slight offset.
The second frightening experience was the trap resistance of the rear driven element itself, one was 27 ohms the other 13. The problem was in both cases isolated to the 17 meter trap side. The trap looked fine inside but apparently there was a bad contact between the coil and the rivet, the rivet itself gave good contact to the carrier-tube. I replaced it by a stainless steel bolt, although I have no explanation why I only found this problem at BOTH 17 meter trap-sides.

In Europe every serious operator is using for these antennas 60 mm tower tubes. Please use a decent tower plate not just for toy 2 inch tubes...

You should also include a European code II setting, this is identical to your manual except for the two elements working on 40 meter. The 40 meter end tip must be set here for the longest option as our band stops at 7.100 and nobody can use an antenna that is resonant at 7.200.

I hope my comments are useful for you in order to improve a nice design that however has some serious mechanical/electrical defects. German designs and even the new Cushcraft is much better on the mechanical side so don't stay behind.

I am planning to publish an article on my findings and would appreciate your feedback to include with the article.

One final question perhaps. Why is the manual stating that one should NOT use a balun. I see no harm in using for instance the Radio Works current balun, in contrary. It can my opinion only improve the radiation pattern. Air coils are in recent findings completely turned down as ineffective.

Thanks for your time, and keep up the GOOD work, improve the bad...

Pedro M.J. Wyns
ON7WP - AA9HX

As I got no reply I decided to put up the repaired antenna temporary on my testing-tower. (yes we are so lucky to posses an ex-military 18 meter steel crank-up tubular tower.) I rose the antenna up to the 10 meter level and got the following results:
To check the pattern for F/B I parked my car containing a very old IC-706 and a Comet CA-HV 40-20-10 meter antenna about 300 meter from this tower and used my bicycle to travel back and forth in order to adjust frequencies...
There are no results for 12 meter as the antenna did not resonate on that band. However the traps were checked with my Autek RF-one, a hell of a great tool...
My FT-1000D was relocated to the garden table as a field measuring tool. SWR was measured by the on-board meter as well as an external Daiwa device, but these were almost indicating similar values.

The 12 meter VSWR problem was solved after changing the cable length...apparently I was just unlucky to have an uneven multiple of quarter waves between the antenna and my trx. I suppose impedance was slightly offset from 50 ohms and worse due to cable transformation. Since it is on the tower the problem of high VSWR moved to 10 meters probably due to the close proximity of the VHF array. I'll check the impedance on all bands at the antenna terminals when I'll be up on the tower again.
The first contacts are promising but I still suspect the antenna of poor F/R performance. I'll make a test setup at my other QTH 2 miles further away and will redo the tests with this signal source.

K0PZ Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2001 17:23 Send this review to a friend
Good Investment  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my PRO 67B for almost ten years. I purchased it when the ?B? version first
came out. I previously had a Cush Craft A3 with the forty meter kit. When the antenna
arrived, I took a inventory of the parts that came in the two boxes. To my pleasant surprise they were ALL there. There are a lot of parts so I laid them out in order of which element , section of boom and so on. Next I checked for burrs and deburred as necessary.
Assembly took about five or so hours. I assembled one element at a time and set it in order of boom location. This antenna is BIG when it is setting at ground level.
It weighs about 110 lbs. The manual was well laid out and the tuning went by the book.
With the antenna at 60 ft. the SWR are very close to the book. Front to Back seems about book also. When listening on 40 meters you can tell the gain is about book also by rotating to peak and rotating 180 deg. I am very impressed with this antenna.
The performance is as published on all bands that it is designed for. Quality is superb.
This was a very good investment and I am still happy with it.

Bob

WT8Y Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2001 09:41 Send this review to a friend
Good All Around Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the Pro67B for 5 years and been pleased with it's performance. At 70 feet I never take a backseat to the neighborhood "Mono Banders"
There are 4 Pro 67B's in the local area and we all have good words for the product. Strong and reliable.