Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | Zumspot RPi Help

Reviews Summary for Zumspot RPi
Zumspot RPi Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$110 USD
Description: A very sleek DMR, D-Star, P25, System Fusion interface designed to mate with the Raspberry Pi.

You can write your own review of the Zumspot RPi.

KD4EG Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2018 09:31 Send this review to a friend
Awesome !  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I only use it on DMR. It is awesome and supported with Pi-Star users group on Facebook. I have used it mobile using my iPhone for internet connection. As such, it works great for mobile and at home. I connected the ZumSpot to my attic UHF antenna. I can cover about 2 mile radius of my home with the MD 380 portable. With that I can access any of the BandMeister TGs and not be concerned about using the TS on the local repeater. Comes in handy if I am out walking the neighborhood etc.
VK5JKS Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2018 23:54 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just acquired a Zumspot Raspberry Pi Zero W combination (built upon Pi-Star and MMDVM), kindly built for me by VK3CM. This is a UHF hotspot supporting DStar, DMR, Fusion, P25 and NXDN. It is housed in a small metallic box the size of a packet of chewing gum. It works either via wifi or Ethernet to USB adapter. ten milliwatts of power allows me to use DStar for about two hundred meters from my hotspot.
The quality is excellent. Configuration was a bit tricky being totally blind, but most of the web interface was fairly accessible. I am extremely happy with the quality and performance of this gem. Please note, this unit contains an RPi board sourced from Australia rather than china.
Note that this unit supports connecting to reflectors using DTMF keys on your radio, without having to set up multiple channels to link and unlink as required by other DStar repeaters. You merely need to set up one memory using DR mode, and then just press PTT and dial up various combinations to link, unlink, get info, etc from the hotspot. For example, while pressing PTT, 0 gives status, # unlinks, *1c or *23c connects to reflector ref001c or ref023c respectively.
I highly recommend this combination which is much cheaper than a nanospot or openspot.
The trickiest part was editing the repeater list in my radio to add the hotspot. You'd think that with the proliphoration of hotspots, this would be made much easier by radio manufacturers, or, even a dummy entry added to the default repeater list downloadable from Then, all you'd need to do is edit the dummy entry and upload to your radio. I'm using a Kenwood TH-D74A radio with this hotspot, another excellent product for another review.
AL7MH Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2018 16:57 Send this review to a friend
Best of whatís out there..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Iíve used a DVMega for several years. Picked up a Zumspot at HRO the other day to put in our car that does not have a Dstar radio in it. My main concern was soldering the 40-pin GPIO header to the Pi Zero. Took my time, all worked well.

Pi-Star is great software. I didnít configure my Zumspot, I put my DVMega card in it, which had my wifi router in tethered iPhone already configured. It booted and worked fine.

Itís sooooo tiny. Very pleased so far. Competition has made all the products better and cheaper.

VE3TMT Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2017 17:21 Send this review to a friend
Very slick!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The wait list is long, but well worth it. This slick little DMR, P25, D-Star, Fusion UHF hotspot board combo is just the ticket for those wanting to try out DMR, or the other modes, but don't have access to a digital repeater. The Zumspot board, when paired with the Raspberry Pi Zero W is a very small portable hotspot that you can take anywhere. The Pi Zero W features built in wi-fi and Bluetooth. I have my entire setup, along with a Nextion 3.5" display, all mounted to an LG PMC-1000, 10,000 mAH portable power pack that will easily power the setup for days. I can recharge it with a standard micro USB phone charger.

My DMR radio is a Radioddity GD-77 and I get good reports on DMR. I can take the setup with me when I travel, and if I don't have wi-fi, I can use my cell phone as a wi-fi hotspot, giving me access anywhere, anytime.

Lots of support groups on Facebook should you need help setting things up.

Get one, you won't regret it!