Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Verticals; Wire; Loop | DX Engineering RF-PRO-1B Help

Reviews Summary for DX Engineering RF-PRO-1B
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$499
Description: Active Magnetic Loop Receive Antenna

You can write your own review of the DX Engineering RF-PRO-1B .

N1UW Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2017 09:20 Send this review to a friend
A Near Religious Experience  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The S7 noise level in my neighborhood had driven me to such despair I was ready to take my entire station to the next swap meet. After reading many articles and watching several You Tube videos on this antenna, I decided to give this antenna one last try to save my hobby.

This is as close to magic as you can imagine. On my worst band, 20M, the noise level dropped from S7 with no audible or visible signals on my Flex Panadapter to S1 with a band full of easily readable signals. On other bands where some signals do rise about the neighborhood noise floor, the improvement in signal-to-noise levels made all signals much more enjoyable to listen to.

When switching from the vertical to the loop, some signals will go down in strength, some will go up, and others will stay the same. The vertical is a compromise antenna to be sure and the loop does have a figure-eight pattern so the azimuth direction of the station and the incoming signal angle will have some effect.

This antenna is not a replacement for full size arrays, but if you are plagued with high noise levels, this antenna will keep you on the air while no big antenna will save you.

ONE CAUTION: The loop, the preamp and the power inserter use RG-6 cable with Type-F connectors. I thought I was being careful connecting a connector to one side of the preamp but I managed to torque the connector enough to rotate the bulkhead connector and pull a ground lead from the connector to the circuit board. Fortunately it was an easy repair to make inside the preamp. If you make the same mistake on the loop antenna itself, you are doomed because the circuit inside the loop is potted and would be hell-and-back to repair. Other than that, this thing reeks of quality from the moment you open the shipping carton.

If you have questions or want me to send you some screen captures, send an email to my call sign
K0YQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2017 09:47 Send this review to a friend
Exceeded expectations  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
HOA bound and 80 and 160 had become totally useless due to neighborhood RFI. No room for any kind of K9AY or SAL or array. Results have *greatly* exceeded my expectations and allows me to at least get back on the low bands. The nulls are very sharp and drops the noise floor dramatically. Rated on that criteria easily a 5.