Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-7100M Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-7100M
Yaesu FT-7100M Reviews: 136 Average rating: 2.9/5 MSRP: $499
Description: Dual Band Mobile, V/V, U/U, V/U, Wide Rx, 50W/35W, 262 Memories, 2 Row Alphanumeric Memory Labels,

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-7100M.

G0UOO Rating: 3/5 Jul 18, 2015 04:56 Send this review to a friend
Does The Job  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In spite of the reviews here, I bought one of these at a very good price about three months ago. I reasoned that if after 14 years it's still going strong, then it's probably a good one.

It's installed in the back of my car and the head unit is connected by a cable I already had in place.

It works very well. I get good reports on the TX audio, and the RX is loud and clear too. It has locked up a couple of times (I don't know why), but turn it off and on and it's back to normal. No more troublesome than most things containing a micro-processor!

However, I don't consider it to be a 50W radio as, to my mind, it gets far too hot at this power level. At 20W it's fine. Who really needs a 50W radio anyway? It doesn't make any difference at all with the local repeaters.

An old radio, but it does the job. And, being old, it was cheap!

KA0JQF Rating: 4/5 Apr 12, 2015 08:32 Send this review to a friend
No major issues over 10+ years  Time owned: more than 12 months
At the time I bought the radio new in 2002 (1E series SN), I was only vaguely aware of the issues that others have had with this radio, but thankfully didn't have any of the major issues others have described here.

I bought mine primarily for the size factor and the ability to remote mount--the radio head was a very nice size for then-new car it went into and integrated nicely into the dashboard cubby--looking like it was part of the car. I permanently installed it in the car with remote kit, mount, external speaker; radio guts were trunk-mounted (constant on 12V/30A circuit was available in the trunk). It lived in that particular car for another ten years, only being removed when I sold the car after 300+k miles.

The quirks were typical--having to cyle power off then back on if left on for long periods, quiet motorboating when scanning in dual band scan mode, but weren't biggies. Otherwise, receiver and transmitter performance were decent. Programming, even with the software was a general pain in the butt, especially after wideband transceive coverage was opened up. Physically, the only issue has been with the mic cord (cable strain relief broke at the mic).

I haven't used it much since as I've bounced from car to car over the last couple years, but will likely re-install it eventually.

AA1OV Rating: 3/5 Nov 29, 2013 06:00 Send this review to a friend
Oh well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this used from another ham on the net and used it for several years mostly in the last few years as an APRS digi rig. The finals finally died and apparently something else as I replaced the finals and it was still dead. I guess nothing lasts forever...

N2PLI Rating: 0/5 May 25, 2012 21:17 Send this review to a friend
worst radio ever made hands down  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The worst radio ever made.I took a beating on this radio.I sent back to Yaesu about 9 times they sent me a ft90 as a replacement the ft90 I still use today is a good radio

KD9VI Rating: 2/5 Jul 19, 2011 18:09 Send this review to a friend
Update to previous review  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am frustrated with this radio. Maybe the newness wore off, but lots of people complain about my bad audio. The intermod is insane esp when close to big cities. I don't care for the menu. I am getting a 7800 with a much improved menu and none of the horrors people report on here. If you want a cheap radio that has some issues, go ahead. But you get what you pay for (I learned).

M6UVF Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2010 06:14 Send this review to a friend
Its brilliant  Time owned: more than 12 months
I must have got what I beleive to be one of the best dual banders money can buy. Its perfect dual display/receive. no problems at all. would I tell some to but one, yes I would no problems....It beats the 7800 hands down

M6UVF Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2010 08:25 Send this review to a friend
Great dual bander  Time owned: more than 12 months
I read some reviews and I carnt beleive them. I have had mine in the shack for over a year and its fantastic. I did do the audio mod which most people do to give it a little more bass. I have had other 2/70 yaesu`s, kenwoods, and icoms and this beats them hands down. Would I have another yes I would.....

KB5WVK Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2010 19:40 Send this review to a friend
Awesome!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine for some time now, no problems at all. If you want one that works, get one with the serial 1F********

KC6UQG Rating: 0/5 Aug 11, 2009 09:39 Send this review to a friend
Worthless-or worse  Time owned: more than 12 months
What's worse than not having a radio? Having a Yaesu 7100 that you THINK will work...but does nothing other than let you down time and again.

From the very first use, this thing was horrid. VFO and volume knobs which would intermittently not work, intermittent no TX, etc.

It was okay if I set it to receive on one frequency and left the unit untouched...but at times adjusting the volume and VFO or TX were unresponsive.

As one other review noted, I'd sell it but I don't want anyone to hate me.

I finally talked a friend into taking it (for free) to see if he could mix and match with his 7100 to make a decent radio. HIS 7100 had even worse behavior issues than mine.

Yaesu disowned this thing; they don't support it. The poor bastard I tricked into taking this radio called Yaesu and got the "we don't know nuthin'" message.

Horrid, awful, nasty, incorrigible, unworkable, defiant, unruly and not pleasant...and those are the good points.

Avoid.

Chris Boyer
kc6uqg

NK5G Rating: 3/5 Oct 2, 2008 10:20 Send this review to a friend
OK  Time owned: more than 12 months
Not a bad radio for my needs in the family mini van.
Pros:
Nice display for a small package.
Ability to scan dual VFOs
Nice AM aircraft RX.
Programming software is nice.

Cons:
I have found that when the radio is on for an extended period of time it needs power cycled as the display gets goofy.
Audio output on the bottom VFO is not as good as the main.