Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-7100M Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-7100M
Yaesu FT-7100M Reviews: 136 Average rating: 2.9/5 MSRP: $499
Description: Dual Band Mobile, V/V, U/U, V/U, Wide Rx, 50W/35W, 262 Memories, 2 Row Alphanumeric Memory Labels,

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-7100M.

K4GMA Rating: 4/5 May 20, 2008 14:57 Send this review to a friend
It's really not that bad ...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've typically been an Icom user for VHF/UHF and Kenwood for HF. But I saw a good price on Ebay for the 7100M and took it. Didn't look here at reviews first because Yaesu is so solid, right? As I awaited arrival of my new toy, I looked here and my heart sank. But I was now the owner, and of a 1D... serial # to boot.

Expecting the worst, I put it through some paces. The rig is compact, easier to program than many, and really packs a lot of features in a good-looking package. The fan is quiet and the receiver (both sides) is super-sensitive with clean, clear audio.

I did find the described problems (over-modulation and splattered /s/ sounds) with the transmit audio. Going to the narrow-modulation mode didn't help nor did backing off the mic. So I took the mic apart, tried a few different materials, and settled on placing a single layer of paper towel over the mic element. An easy 10-minute fix which now gets me very nice audio on the normal ("wide") deviation setting.

Other reviewers are correct about the helicopter noise if you're scanning one band while actively listening on the other, but it's faint. If you scan constantly or primarily listen to two frequencies in the same band you won't care much for this radio, but if you like to monitor on 2m and 70cm simultaneously you'll be very pleased at the sensitivity and clean audio.

This is surely not the best radio Yaesu ever made, but neither is it the devil's offspring as so many have suggested. The receiver is superb in most respects, and with the simple mic fix I'm growing to like this radio more and more. If you're considering one of these you should keep your eyes wide open, but if the price is right you might have a nice little rig in the 7100.
K4LVW Rating: 4/5 Feb 19, 2008 22:49 Send this review to a friend
No major complaints with this rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can't really complain about this rig. I bought it second hand a couple of years ago. I found out about all the problems people were having with them after I had paid for it and was awaiting it to be shipped. It is one of the 1 serial number ones too. I was terrified it would be a POS. Luckily, the only problems I have had is occasionally the display locks up, but all you have to do is turn it off and then back on. This in itself is an extremely rare occurance. No scanning problems, helicopter noises, audio issues or intermod complaints. The other minor problem is that the strain relief on the mic at the mic end has separated, and you can see the wires inside, so that will have to be fixed soon. It came modified already (belonged to an emt). I can say it is a lot less quirky than the old yaesu ft-2200 it replaced, although I used that 2200 to death and I don't use this one near as much. Overall it is a good radio, so I can't complain.
KC7MRQ Rating: 2/5 Oct 2, 2007 10:05 Send this review to a friend
Not the best I've owned.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The radio is ok for basic vhf/uhf needs. However, mine doesn't have a very good squelch circuit. The squelch keeps opening so I have to keep it very tight. The squelch problem is really bad when I am in the scan mode.

I will probably end up selling the radio for a more advanced APRS capable mobile unit.
JA1ML Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2007 10:39 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used my FT-7100 every day mobile for over two years. I always recieved good aduio reports and it has always worked perfect with none of the reported problems I've heard or read about.
KC0TNH Rating: 0/5 Feb 13, 2007 05:31 Send this review to a friend
Better off wighout having one!  Time owned: more than 12 months
What a mistake this radio was!!!! bought it to fit in new car but it has such terrible intermodulation problems you can't use it anywhere near a city of over 10,000 population, it picks up everything! (tv, pagers, broadcast radio and public service ) without having them programmed in.

I think this is just a yaesu mistake .... See one for sale RUN dont walk away!
KA0YLP Rating: 4/5 Jan 5, 2007 13:26 Send this review to a friend
Mobile Mounting Equipment  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the FT7100M several years ago without adding the YSK-7100 Separation Kit, MMB-Quick Release Mobile Mounting Bracket, MMB-62 Remote Front Panel Mounting Bracket, or the MEK-2 Microphone Extension Kit. If you know of anyone who has new or used equipment in very good condition please let me know.

My experience withe the transmitter is infrequent and usually with a portable antenna and battery. I would really like to make it a permanent mobile.
KG8FV Rating: 4/5 Jul 13, 2006 19:41 Send this review to a friend
No complaints  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine now for a long time and had no problems with it. It replace my 5100 which I miss badly and it has went to the grave yard. I guess you get a bad one every now and then. Yes Yeasu service department stinks and it takes forever! to get something done and done right.
KB1MZR Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2006 19:47 Send this review to a friend
A Good Starter Radio!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I just got into radio over the winter. A ham that swears by these sold me one and I love it. The only complaints I have are that there aren't enough memory channels (I know, 250 memories should be more than enough). The only other complaint I have is that it's easy to wipe the memory. But, I have received nothing but praise from other hams that have used the radio. I have not had any problems while operating and the radio runs cool. It is one of the 2.... serial numbers in case that helps anyone. I heard the 1.... serial numbers tended to have more problems. Check for that when looking at one.
N6PSE Rating: 1/5 Jul 8, 2005 13:11 Send this review to a friend
Worst Radio I have ever owned!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my Yaesu FT7100M for several years. It is a very poor transiever. Basically an intermod box. I would sell it but I don't want anyone to hate me........

I continue to own some very good Yaesu equipment, but some of it has been rather bad, inaddition to the 7100M, the Ft8000, FT727 and the first FT100 were all very poor radios.
AD5FO Rating: 0/5 Jul 8, 2005 10:12 Send this review to a friend
Nothing but problems.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my first dual-band radio and I don't believe I will purchase another Yaesu. It's been in for repairs 3 times and now it is having the same problems again. The squelch on the main band will not open most of the time. Now Yaesu tells me that they have one on the shelf (VR Unit Part# CB1376001) and that it may be a defective return, but that I will just have to take my chances. If it doesn't work, they told me that it could take over 30 days to get a refund. (Since the warranty is out, I was planning on changing the VR Unit myself). The technician also said that there are some VR Units on the 7100 that are hard-wired and others use connectors, but there is no way to tell which will arrive because the part numbers are the same. They told me that they will not do a trade-in on it on the radio either.

The programmable band scan memory scans from L1 to U5, not just within the one that you want to scan. The technician told me that this was an "engineering goof-up" and that there will be no fix for it. The Smart Scan feature also continues beyond the band limits.

The intermod is terrible, even after the warranty upgrades. I have had to replace the mic connector twice. The insulation is peeling off at the mic.

I also had the receiver go out on the subband.

Not a good experience with the radio or the support people for my first dual-band. I don't think the next will be a Yaesu.