Reviews Categories | Books/Manuals/Videos/Pod-WebCasts on ham radio | Buddipole in the Field book by B. Scott Anderson, NE1RD Help

Reviews Summary for Buddipole in the Field book by B. Scott Anderson, NE1RD
Buddipole in the Field book by B. Scott Anderson, NE1RD Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$15.00 + $4.35 S&H
Description: This book, written by a Buddipole expert, is recommended
to increase ones understanding of the Buddipole and
Buddistick. The free pdf is available online, and the book
is available for purchase from Buddipole.
More info: http://www.buddipole.com/buinfibybsca.html

You can write your own review of the Buddipole in the Field book by B. Scott Anderson, NE1RD.

KJ4KKI Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2017 16:54 Send this review to a friend
Lots of Useful Information  Time owned: more than 12 months

Buddipole in the Field is a comprehensive book on how to best use the Buddipole and Buddistick. It has some really good information.

The Buddipole and Buddistick are fine antennas. Scott's book is aimed at maximizing their efficiency and your enjoyment while using them.

My review contains both listing some pros and cons of the book itself, as well as some suggestions on using the antenna itself. Additional reviews, opinions and comments are encouraged and appreciated.

PROS:

1) The amount of information that B. Scott Anderson provides is staggering. A tremendous amount of time and effort went into writing this book.

2) It's written in an easy to understand manner, with good descriptions.

3) The EZNEC plot graphs are very informative in showing the radiation patterns of various configurations.

4) The book is concisely written, and flows from subject to subject well. It is understandable by both new and experienced hams.

5) Scott covers the Buddipole product line well. It is difficult for any book to be 100% in line with new additions or alterations in the product like. I certainly understand the costs of new editions of books. Still, he tries to go over everything and stay current.

Most of the criticisms I have are rather minor, but I'll mention them, along with some personal suggestions.

CONS:

1) The book is much smaller than I had anticipated. I knew how many pages it was (154), but I expected it to be more the size of an ARRL book. At 5.75" x 8.25", the book is rather small.

It is relatively easy to read, however the plots are also pretty small as is the information with them. I'm almost 60, and I do have to closely read the fine print of the charts.

2) The bridge is black. If you want a nice title on your bookshelf, you will have to get a label maker and put your own label on it.

3) The pdf book has nice color photographs. I was expecting those same photographs to be in color in the book, as well as plot lines on the graphs. This is not the case. Everything is black and white. That was a bit of a let-down. I just like books better that have full color photographs and charts.

4) Putting cosmetics aside, there is one definite area that I wish the author had addressed more. The charts are for settings with the regular length, and with the regular arms & long whips. In my case, I also bought the long arms to add to the length, as well as a Triple Ratio Switch Balun kit from Alan Biocca. This makes the charts inaccurate when using additional lengths in setting up a dipole. As such, it's kind of trial and error--especially until you really learn how to use the antenna and understand it.

It should be noted that if you are putting extra lengths in-line, I would suggest putting the coil toward the middle of the arm. It's strong, but I wouldn't want a lot of extra length subjected to wind.

For a vertical, such as a Buddistick formation, lack of chart data is no problem. In my own situation, by using a 1/4 wavelength vertical and 1/4 wavelength counterpoise, I can have a 1/2 wavelength on 20m and above without coils. Below 20m, it requires a coil.

Plus, you can always use a coil if you want to. This further eliminates losses and reduces having to physically shorten the antenna. As always, tuning by noise and an SWR meter is good; using an analyzer is better...

ADDITIONAL SUGGESTIONS:

I would suggest even more details on alternative mounting methods. There is not much attention given to using it with the shockcord mast. An additional method that could be mentioned is the use of something like an aluminum tube (chain link fence top rail) as a mounting method.

As an example, I have two pole sections and an RV satellite TV tripod that provide a sturdy mount. A caveat is that I was not able to find saddle clamps that did not narrow a bit toward the "U". The result was a small crack on one of the bolt holes in the VersaTee. Chris Drummond recommends clamps from DX Engineering. While extremely well made, with shipping two clamps cost almost $30.

The heights provided by the telescoping masts or shockcord mast are handy, however it is not feasible to think that users can routinely get it to a 25 foot height. This is where the traditional ham creativity comes in. As with the antenna--experiment and see what works!

Other than these comments, I like the book and feel that it would be a valuable addition to your library. Many thanks to Scott for writing it. I initially printed a copy of the pdf about a year and a half ago, and used it to mark and write on. I decided I wanted a bookshelf copy.

Can you print a free copy of the pdf file (available at buddipole.com)? Yes, but by the time you use close to 160 sheets of paper and ink, plus a binder, it is about as cheap to just order it. Besides, a professionally printed book looks a lot better than copier paper in a 3-ring binder.

Wishing you good DX!