Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Motorola HSN4038A Help

Reviews Summary for Motorola HSN4038A
Motorola HSN4038A Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $60.50
Description: The Motorola HSN4038A is 7.5 Watt, External Speaker,
Water Resistant with remote mount and great for extreme
noise environments. Compatible With: APX 6500, MCS 2000,
PM 1500, XTL 1500, XTL 2500, XTL 5000
More info: http://https://www.motorolasolutions.com/en_xp/products/two-way-radio-accessories/speakers-amplifiers/hsn4038.html#tabcompatibleproducts

You can write your own review of the Motorola HSN4038A.

HL1ZIX Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2017 03:16 Send this review to a friend
Great little speaker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this speaker for use with an FT-891. I have not had a chance to use it on my FT-891 just yet, because that radio is at work, but it sounds very good on my Icom 7300. It is comparable, and sometimes better than the speaker in the Icom 7300.

The speaker is well-built and heavy, which means it has a nice and hefty magnet inside. The plastic is thick and sturdy, with the right amount of holes for sound passage cut into the face. It also has an easily adjustable rear footing that has mounting holes.

It seems to cover the communications side of the band just right -- not too much bass, and not too much treble. It's not bassy, like a big boxed speaker, but it's certainly not cheap and tinny sounding. It's surprisingly good sounding, for the size! Sometimes small speakers can sound like garbage. This does not, and it feels like something substantial built in the USA a few years ago, rather than something cheap from China.

I bought this used for $10 from a hamfest in Seoul, and I am very happy with it. I believe this is probably the same model as one of the USA models, but just with a different model number, given the Asian region?

These can be found new and used on E-bay for between $10 and $50, in Fall 2017. I highly recommend this small speaker to improve the sound on a smaller radio that has a wimpy speaker inside, but an external jack. It would also work well as an HF or UHF/VHF mobile speaker. My Icom 7300 powers it to far louder levels than I'd ever listen to.

Perfect for what it is.