Reviews Categories | Keyers & CW Keyboards | K1EL PaddleStick CW Keyer with Base Kit Help

Reviews Summary for K1EL PaddleStick CW Keyer with Base Kit
K1EL PaddleStick CW Keyer with Base Kit Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $59.00
Description: K1EL PaddleStick CW Keyer with Base Kit
More info: http://www.hamcrafters2.com/PS2B.html

You can write your own review of the K1EL PaddleStick CW Keyer with Base Kit.

WD0DUD Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2017 15:42 Send this review to a friend
K1EL CW Keyer with touch sensitive paddles  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed a CW Iambic keyer for the QCX, QRP transciever I recently purchased. I wanted 'touch' sensitive paddles and a keyer with message memory. I finally found this keyer and ordered the kit. About 5 days later my XYL came in with a very heavy little cardboard box. I opened it up and found a nicely packed kit with a heavy black steel base. I took my time and in less than two hours I had the kit assembled. I scrubbed the excessive flux from the circuit boards. I plugged in the 9V battery and when I turned on the switch the keyer responded with "R". YAHOO! It works perfectly.

The manual is available online for download. It is comprehensive and leads you through the build. It also contains detailed information on the keyer command structure.

I fluxed all the pads that hold the paddles vertical to the keyer printed circuit board (PCB) and coated them with a good layer of rosin core solder. This made joining the boards very easy. All I had to do was re-flow the solder and add just a little bit more to make a good strong fillet. The keyer PCB is held to the steel base with five stainless screws and five nylon spacers are placed between the PCB and the steel base. I used a toothpick to insert into the PCB holes to align the spacers.

This is a quality kit and the base is heavy enough to keep the keyer steady on my work area.

The touch sense pads are not overly sensitive; they work great.

The keyer can store 12 messages in two banks. It has the ability to edit the message you are entering, should you make a mistake.

My only issue assembling the kit was my own limitation. I couldn't determine the colors on the 1/8 watt resistors; nor could I read the '104' on the capacitors. I was barely able to see the markings when I used a magnifying glass! 'Old Age' is a terrible thing!

I'm very pleased with this touch sensitive Iambic keyer!

WD0DUD - My personal review of the product I purchased. I don't know K1EL, but his product is superb!