Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Yaesu FT-847 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-847
Yaesu FT-847 Reviews: 171 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $1599
Description: HF+2M,6M and 70cm Transceiver

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-847.

VK4XA Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2015 19:26 Send this review to a friend
Even now, there are none better!  Time owned: more than 12 months
After all these years, I have recently purchased my THIRD FT-847! (See my review as VK4BOF for details on the previous 2 847's I've owned.)
And they still don't disappoint me.
The current one has crystal filters fitted for SSB and a mechanical filter for CW and it's great, better than my two previous units that had no filtering at all.
My main HF station will always be my beloved Elecraft K3 but for 6M and up, it will always be the FT847 that gets my vote.
KJ4EOZ Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2015 23:49 Send this review to a friend
Love my 847   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a FT950 but wanted something for HF and 2meter ssb . So I picked up a 15 year old ft 847 that looks new for $1100 . and yes they go for $1100 all day And wow I love it . I use it more then the FT950 . In a lot of ways it's not as good as the FT950 but what a radio . Even with the stock mic I get great audio reports . I'm asked all the time what mic I'm using . Very easy to use . att works great , RF amp , NB , NR , D.Notch and Dig fil all works great . Mic preamp in this radio is very hot . run it at 12 . Great 1st rig or back up rig or if you like working 2 meter ssb like me . coax ports are nice on the back . HF , 6 meter , 2 meters , and 70cm all has its own port . I'm a Yaesu fan and this one gets an A+++++ in my book .
KB9IIZ Rating: 4/5 Nov 19, 2014 21:03 Send this review to a friend
Intrestnig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the FT847 for over 3 years and used it as follows: HF CW, SSB, & digital; 6m, 2m, 70cm: CW, SSB, FM and digital, plus satellites.

It is a mixed bag of a radio being DC to light and so much crammed in such a small space.

On VHF and UHF it works well, I got bit by the 6m bug and worked over 200 grids with it. It will be overloaded by strong SSB signals even if 5kHz away from RX, on CW the 250Hz narrow filter takes care of that problem. The receiver is sensitive enough but far from 726 performance. No issues with local repeaters, audio is OK.

Satellite work seemed awkward after I upgraded from the 726 and the HT, but I got a hang of it after a while. There are software options for automatic RX freq tracking and I used HRD, but eventually ended up manually tracking the downlink freq. I picked up plenty of cubesats, Oscars and also the ISS so it is capable of receiving less than 1W cubesat transmitters with an M2 eggbeater antenna and good coax. The 10 sat memory is helpful when dialing in.

The radio is not going to perform well w/o the additional filters. I have the 250Hz filter and it does make HF performance usable. Overall HF performance is average: NB doesn't do much for me, the att and preamp are nice, but the preamp is on all the time with exception of S9+20 signals. For CW, DSP is helpful only once in a while, which is surprising, but the notch filter works fine. DSP works very well for SSB digital modes if there are strong signals close together. I think the IC737A receiver is much more selective and sensitive.

The software CAT control with RigExpert & HRD is great and I also used it with other software packages. It does well as a contesting rig for CW, I've ran it in multiple contests w/o any CW keying issues even at 35+WPM. Working split is easy and the sub VFO tune is a nice touch.

The multiple coax outputs are really surprising in a small rig such as this but they do make life a lot easier. Additional audio outputs are also helpful when connecting to a PC or packet TNC.

What is really missing is a QSK button and a built in tuner for HF. I have never used the built in keyer so I can't comment on it. The fan in the back does go on often, but it doesn't bother me as much as I thought it might.

I've recently seen sales offers for the FT847 around $1200, but in my opinion the rig is worth closer to $900 due to the mediocre HF performance.
If you are looking for a VHF+ & satellite rig or if you are space limited, then this might be an option, but HF performance is basic - pulling that DXpedition signal from the noise will be a challenge.

I would not recommend this rig to novices, it is more complex than most and there are better rigs out there to get you on the air. Amateur radio has many facets and this radio covers a lot of them, starting simple might be a better choice to get one's feet wet and check out the hobby before diving deeper.

Hope this helps, KB9IIZ.
KF4FVG Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2014 09:39 Send this review to a friend
It has been a solid performer for 14 years.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Yaesu FT847 in January of 2000 and set it up as my base station when I had my Tech license and have never had a problem with it in all that time. It does so much that I still have to refer to the manual from time to time. I currently have it connected to a dual band dipole and MFJ945D antenna tuner for HF, a 6M dipole, 70CM ground plane and 2M ground plane antennas. I'm learning CW and have a straight key plugged in. I use a boom mic with a foot peddle switch for voice. I also have my computer hooked up through a SignaLink SL-1+ for PSK31. It takes up a small footprint on my desk for all that it is capable of doing and encouraged me to upgrade to general. I've never had any desire to trade it in on a newer model radio as this one has kept me satisfied. I haven't had time to fully explore all the features this radio offers. Building a satelite antenna and a final license upgrade are hopefully in my near future.
UY5ON Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2014 14:16 Send this review to a friend
NICE RADIO   Time owned: more than 12 months
Since my arrival in Estonia es4uy (in a rare square ko49cj) Problem arose in the range of 70 mhz. Acquired Yaesu FT-847 (which proved to be a quite not bad when compared with devices of the same class and even with Icom-7100 buyout I did not like at all )
Problem here in a surprising number of stations located in Russia and broadcasting in the range 70 mhz.And me to the border ... a little more than 1 km After all upgrades carried es1ii (Hellar Pagi)
many thanks to him.FT-847 I do not know .... To day is the best solution problems ranges 144-70-50
mhz The only thing that had to be added is a bandpass filter cavities. 50 and 70 MHz
G1MQQ Rating: 1/5 Jul 16, 2013 06:42 Send this review to a friend
Wish I still had my IC7400  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought secondhand from silent key sale as a backup for my IC756 proIII and ft 8900r.

VHF UHF O.K but HF is appalling.
DSP ? The scratch and rumble filters on my HiFi amplifier do a better job, in fact the simple NR on this rig is better than the DSP
Selectivity very poor.
Ergonomically poor. Too much crammed onto the small front panel resulting in very small knobs (especially the concentric ones) and switches and difficult to read labels
Loads of bells and whistles but compared to the IC756 PROIII (maybe unfair) HF isn't on the same planet, let alone ballpark.

When I last tried it, with a view to selling it, HF PA was dead. I'm in no rush to repair it as I know I will never use it
K5TED Rating: 4/5 May 30, 2013 19:19 Send this review to a friend
Good radio.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this radio from an eHam ad, after looking for years for that "good deal". This radio came with the MD-100 and optional Collins filters. To be honest, it doesn't get much use at all. However...... Every once in a while I fire up the 847. It always gets good reports on audio quality on HF and V/U, and I'm always pleased with the performance on casual HF contacts. It has a good receiver and the digital filter hasn't failed me yet for knocking out the adjacent noise. It's not a contest rig. It is a very good all-purpose rig. Much better than the 897/857, and having used both, in my opinion, better even than the TS-2K in overall goodness.

Even today, 8 years after being disco'ed, the radio still commands prices in the $1k+ range.

There's a reason for that.

ZS4U Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2013 11:48 Send this review to a friend
More than I expected!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I traded mine for a FT-920. I have had many radios so I am in a position to make a sober judgement. The 847 is not the top HF performer when it comes to filtering QRM BUT, after doing the diode mod the receiver has a lower noise floor than the FT-1000MP MKV (which also had the noise floor mod.) It is simple to operate, has a great audio punch when using the Heil HC5. For an old DC to daylight it performs well. I also did the power switch mod. This is one of the Yaesu legacy radios in my opinion. If you can get one in good nick - grab it.
KD8MRK Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2013 18:49 Send this review to a friend
Great rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's very good station. Has all bands and power 100W and on 2m and 70 cm full 50W output.
RX is very sensitive, has a build in amplifier for HF and VHF/UHF, keyer, satelite mode. Large display.
What I need is now transvertor for 24 cm band.

Working on EME, Satellites, simplex CW, and my personal record was QSO on FM simplex channel 29,600 MHz with Alaskan station KL7YK 3781 miles
or QSO with JM7OLW CW 11,400 miles also on 10 meterband. I like to work on as long waves as 15 meters and short as 24 cm.
VA6GC Rating: 4/5 Nov 12, 2012 09:27 Send this review to a friend
VHF/UHF failure  Time owned: more than 12 months
I wrote a review in 2009 on this radio.
I still think it's a great radio but I was chatting yesterday and the VHF / UHF power out just up and failed.
All the HF bands work fine in ALL modes but VHF/UHF do not TX in any mode. The radio responds perfect but no power out.

The radio was cool and antenna was set up well.
So I guess a FT-857D or FT-8800R in order