Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-847 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-847
Yaesu FT-847 Reviews: 173 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $1599
Description: HF+2M,6M and 70cm Transceiver
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/ft847.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-847.

W4KVW Rating: 2/5 Aug 6, 2017 20:45 Send this review to a friend
OK on a good day  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had one for several weeks & the receiver needed lots of help.The filtering was terrible on a crowded band.VHF/UHF was OK but any band that was crowded made for some tough operation because the front end has very little rejection.It's a nice looking rig but it would drive me crazy if it was my fully time main rig because of the issues with the lack of rejection from other signals on the band.Maybe as a Satellite Rig it would be OK or for repeater use but don't buy one if you work DX on the HF Bands or 6 Meters or you may never hear the DX at all.It was far from a keeper for me.

N4MJG Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2017 14:29 Send this review to a friend
Best Rig ever ! ever 16 years !  Time owned: more than 12 months
For 16 years since I had it! And i almost sell this rig, So i'm going to keep it until it dies !

Since i never have any problem with this rig, And i have try satlite once works great !

This has never been doing any mod or anything ! I kept stock the day i brought it on home back 2001 when i was a no code tech back 01

Plus i did some 6 meters and HF

The only thing i wish it has were you can change colors, But i found on ebay of filters any colors you want that what i did with mine !

Jackie
N4MJG

N8FVJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2017 06:12 Send this review to a friend
Super 144/430mHz Transceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After searching for a good used VHF/UHF all mode dual band transceiver, I acquired an used late model Yaesu FT-847 in like new condition for $750 shipped.

Previously I bought a used FT-FT726R. It did not work on FM, so I was refunded & seller graciously told me to keep it. Shamefully, I sold it for parts & kept the SP-102 & MC-1 desk mic that works on the FT-847. The SP-102 speaker is far superior to the FT-847 internal speaker.

These is no real comparison in-between the two transceivers, spend the extra $400. No only is the receiver more sensitive, the FT-847 has many more features. The FT-847 is light years ahead of the FT-726R.

The FT-847 has a very sensitive VHF/UHF receiver. Even 6 meters compares well to my Yaesu FT-625RD I sold. The FT-625RD is known as a stellar performer despite the older design.

I tried the FT-847 on HF and it does handle 75 meter summer band noise very well. Many have stated the HF performance is lacking, but I did not buy the radio for HF use. If you want an all mode 160 meter to 70cm radio, I would not be that quick to dismiss the FT-847 HF performance. I did compare the FT-847 to a Kenwood TS-590SG and the difference is apparent. The TS-590SG has noise reduction & makes for easier armchair copy on signals with poor band conditions. However, unless you are a contester or very weak signal DX chaser, the FT-847 performs well enough.

As I mentioned the SP-102 speaker really improves the receive audio. In fact, I never used a finer external speaker & the SP-102 runs circles around a Palstar SP30B external speaker.

On 144mHz SSB there is quite a few external carriers on the band in my location. They sound like birdies, but are not internal to the FT-847. The handy auto notch filter does a fine job removing these signals. The DSP filtering tunes the audio in a fine manner for easier reception.

The VHF/UHF output is 50 watts. That is enough power to drive most high power amplifiers. The radio is, of course, made for satellite communications. The only other used transceiver in the FT-847 class and price range is the Kenwood TS-2000. Being available as new as of date of this review, it is more expensive vs the FT-847. Although FT-847s costs in-between $700 and $1100 used, the TS-2000 is rarely under $1100 used. It is said the FT-847 has a more sensitive VHF/UHF receiver, but many would not likely notice the difference.

It does appear the FT-847 was Yaesu's last effort for an all mode VHF/UHF transceiver. The early models do have issues with the power switch failing, so try to purchase a later model. Later models have the CAT interface vs early models that do not.

In my opinion you cannot go wrong with the FT-847. And, with careful shopping it is around $500 less expensive than a used Kenwood TS-2000.

KE4AMQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2017 12:06 Send this review to a friend
i like  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i just got one of these rigs the other day did some trading i ordered filters for it and looking for a new screen the one i have has a small crack in it. I love the rig does everything i want it to do plus more, and dont look bad either

G4REK Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2017 09:11 Send this review to a friend
VERY GOOD  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had this set for yonks now modded for 70 megs its great

KH6TA Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2016 09:52 Send this review to a friend
Much Better than expected! Wow!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was lucky to find a like-new one and added the optional INRAD SSB filter and the Collins CW filter. Guess I'm "old school" and though I did like the IC-7100, in my opinion, this FT-847 out performs it, plus is a satellite radio (I am an AMSAT member).

This radio puts out the power it is supposed to, has excellent sensitivity, AND for a 15-year-old radio, it has DSP which works very well. No apologies needed when operating this rig!

These sell for a low of $700 to a high of $1100. IF it is a really nice one and HAS the optional filters ($300), expect to pay top end. Some I have seen listed for sale lately haven't been that nice and have been overpriced.

Not sure why Yaesu discontinued this radio without coming out with an updated model........

VK4XA Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2015 19:26 Send this review to a friend
Even now, there are none better!  Time owned: more than 12 months
After all these years, I have recently purchased my THIRD FT-847! (See my review as VK4BOF for details on the previous 2 847's I've owned.)
And they still don't disappoint me.
The current one has crystal filters fitted for SSB and a mechanical filter for CW and it's great, better than my two previous units that had no filtering at all.
My main HF station will always be my beloved Elecraft K3 but for 6M and up, it will always be the FT847 that gets my vote.

KJ4EOZ Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2015 23:49 Send this review to a friend
Love my 847   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a FT950 but wanted something for HF and 2meter ssb . So I picked up a 15 year old ft 847 that looks new for $1100 . and yes they go for $1100 all day And wow I love it . I use it more then the FT950 . In a lot of ways it's not as good as the FT950 but what a radio . Even with the stock mic I get great audio reports . I'm asked all the time what mic I'm using . Very easy to use . att works great , RF amp , NB , NR , D.Notch and Dig fil all works great . Mic preamp in this radio is very hot . run it at 12 . Great 1st rig or back up rig or if you like working 2 meter ssb like me . coax ports are nice on the back . HF , 6 meter , 2 meters , and 70cm all has its own port . I'm a Yaesu fan and this one gets an A+++++ in my book .

KB9IIZ Rating: 4/5 Nov 19, 2014 21:03 Send this review to a friend
Intrestnig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the FT847 for over 3 years and used it as follows: HF CW, SSB, & digital; 6m, 2m, 70cm: CW, SSB, FM and digital, plus satellites.

It is a mixed bag of a radio being DC to light and so much crammed in such a small space.

On VHF and UHF it works well, I got bit by the 6m bug and worked over 200 grids with it. It will be overloaded by strong SSB signals even if 5kHz away from RX, on CW the 250Hz narrow filter takes care of that problem. The receiver is sensitive enough but far from 726 performance. No issues with local repeaters, audio is OK.

Satellite work seemed awkward after I upgraded from the 726 and the HT, but I got a hang of it after a while. There are software options for automatic RX freq tracking and I used HRD, but eventually ended up manually tracking the downlink freq. I picked up plenty of cubesats, Oscars and also the ISS so it is capable of receiving less than 1W cubesat transmitters with an M2 eggbeater antenna and good coax. The 10 sat memory is helpful when dialing in.

The radio is not going to perform well w/o the additional filters. I have the 250Hz filter and it does make HF performance usable. Overall HF performance is average: NB doesn't do much for me, the att and preamp are nice, but the preamp is on all the time with exception of S9+20 signals. For CW, DSP is helpful only once in a while, which is surprising, but the notch filter works fine. DSP works very well for SSB digital modes if there are strong signals close together. I think the IC737A receiver is much more selective and sensitive.

The software CAT control with RigExpert & HRD is great and I also used it with other software packages. It does well as a contesting rig for CW, I've ran it in multiple contests w/o any CW keying issues even at 35+WPM. Working split is easy and the sub VFO tune is a nice touch.

The multiple coax outputs are really surprising in a small rig such as this but they do make life a lot easier. Additional audio outputs are also helpful when connecting to a PC or packet TNC.

What is really missing is a QSK button and a built in tuner for HF. I have never used the built in keyer so I can't comment on it. The fan in the back does go on often, but it doesn't bother me as much as I thought it might.

I've recently seen sales offers for the FT847 around $1200, but in my opinion the rig is worth closer to $900 due to the mediocre HF performance.
If you are looking for a VHF+ & satellite rig or if you are space limited, then this might be an option, but HF performance is basic - pulling that DXpedition signal from the noise will be a challenge.

I would not recommend this rig to novices, it is more complex than most and there are better rigs out there to get you on the air. Amateur radio has many facets and this radio covers a lot of them, starting simple might be a better choice to get one's feet wet and check out the hobby before diving deeper.

Hope this helps, KB9IIZ.

KF4FVG Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2014 09:39 Send this review to a friend
It has been a solid performer for 14 years.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Yaesu FT847 in January of 2000 and set it up as my base station when I had my Tech license and have never had a problem with it in all that time. It does so much that I still have to refer to the manual from time to time. I currently have it connected to a dual band dipole and MFJ945D antenna tuner for HF, a 6M dipole, 70CM ground plane and 2M ground plane antennas. I'm learning CW and have a straight key plugged in. I use a boom mic with a foot peddle switch for voice. I also have my computer hooked up through a SignaLink SL-1+ for PSK31. It takes up a small footprint on my desk for all that it is capable of doing and encouraged me to upgrade to general. I've never had any desire to trade it in on a newer model radio as this one has kept me satisfied. I haven't had time to fully explore all the features this radio offers. Building a satelite antenna and a final license upgrade are hopefully in my near future.