Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-847 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-847
Yaesu FT-847 Reviews: 173 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $1599
Description: HF+2M,6M and 70cm Transceiver

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-847.

KD8MRK Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2013 18:49 Send this review to a friend
Great rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's very good station. Has all bands and power 100W and on 2m and 70 cm full 50W output.
RX is very sensitive, has a build in amplifier for HF and VHF/UHF, keyer, satelite mode. Large display.
What I need is now transvertor for 24 cm band.

Working on EME, Satellites, simplex CW, and my personal record was QSO on FM simplex channel 29,600 MHz with Alaskan station KL7YK 3781 miles
or QSO with JM7OLW CW 11,400 miles also on 10 meterband. I like to work on as long waves as 15 meters and short as 24 cm.
VA6GC Rating: 4/5 Nov 12, 2012 09:27 Send this review to a friend
VHF/UHF failure  Time owned: more than 12 months
I wrote a review in 2009 on this radio.
I still think it's a great radio but I was chatting yesterday and the VHF / UHF power out just up and failed.
All the HF bands work fine in ALL modes but VHF/UHF do not TX in any mode. The radio responds perfect but no power out.

The radio was cool and antenna was set up well.
So I guess a FT-857D or FT-8800R in order
K1TWH Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2012 19:15 Send this review to a friend
VG radio HF <> 70cm  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
___Iíve been using a Yaesu FT-847 for the last 6 months. While I donít have VHF-UHF weak signal 2M or 70cm antennas, it hears all the local repeaters better than any other radio Iíve used at this location. Iíve placed an INRAD #706 (2.6 kHz) into the receive SSB path, and a #726 (2.9 kHz) into the transmit SSB path. The RF speech processor is a welcome addition, with virtually all stations preferring it enabled. Tx audio is said to be well balanced and with punch using the stock hand-mic. For this radio, the INRAD mechanical or crystal filters will do a much better job on receive. I found the complaints of poor-fair performance on HF to be perhaps a side-effect of the stock filters. While this radio does have a very nice AF DSP CW filter , a good CW filter in the IF is still needed for best performance. I've installed the INRAD #705 (500 Hz). The 847Ďs digital notch is slower than modern radios, but will handle multiple tones and null them very effectively. The digital noise reduction is not nearly as good as modern radios. The LCD display is excellent. It is really clear and easy to read. The AGC works very well on both fast and slow. The noise blanker works, like most. It works better on some noise sources than others.
___All the needed controls are right up front. Little need to dip into the simple menu. The radio has a list of beneficial mods. They offer very real improvements. My thanks to all the hams that published the mods making it easy for me to update the radio without doing the re-engineering. With the exception of the Power On/Off switch, the build quality inside the unit is very good to excellent. The radio has great Ďfeelí on the controls, and it is matched by the parts chosen on the inside. Perfect, well no. But for me, the 847 is a daily 5 for 5.
N4MJG Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2011 19:32 Send this review to a friend
Best Rig !  Time owned: more than 12 months
When i brought this rig back 2001 fell in love with this rig ! also i use it on cw it work like it sould.

The 2nd best thing is first time ever using satelite last year works great ! not a problem with this rig ! even know it no longer make them ,but you can find them at hamfest ! as long it works for you !

Been Hamming 10 years !
VA3JPX Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2011 05:36 Send this review to a friend
Does the job!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned two FT-847's. My first one was purchased in 1998 and sold in 2000 as I needed funds for a down payment on a house. I purchased my 2nd FT-847 in 2001 and I've had it ever since.

I've used my FT-847 for VHF/UHF satellite, and regular repeater rag chew. Recently, in the past 5 years I've been using it on HF with a manual tuner, and most recently an FC-20 auto tuner. As this radio is an all-in-one I was quite surprised at it's performance. Aside from lacking some features found on most HF rigs, the radio has performed quite well on HF.

Now the FT-847 is my backup HF rig, as I've upgraded to an FT-950.

I like having the ability to run full-duplex on some of the repeaters here in Ottawa, Ontario. Sat mode isn't always used for satellite operations. :)

The only problem I've had with my 2nd FT-847 is the memory/channel control. It started acting up about 3 years ago, after the radio had been sitting unused for 3 years. I guess it has some dust in the pot, because when you turn it - it goes to the next channel, then goes back to the channel you were on. you have to turn it left and right, then left and right .. in order to get the channel you want or adjust a menu item. So i guess I could open it up and get some contact cleaner into it.

Would I buy another? Yes, if the price is right. These FT-847's are ranging from $800 to $1100 on ebay (depending on condition). They seem to remain in high demand, despite being discontinued.

Good radio.
N0AZZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2011 04:08 Send this review to a friend
Still Holds it's Own  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have owned mine for about 4 mo searched for this one for about 6 mo wanted a nice one to be used for weak signal VHF work and Satellite.

After I received it I found the HF was not bad at all and decided to make it my backup rig for HF also. My main rig is a FTDX-5000MP and the FT-847 doesn't have a bad receiver either. I have both of them hooked to my VL-1000 amp. The FT-847 has 1k on 160-6m and a 2m brick this radio is easy to setup for all bands and a pleasure to use. I did get the FC-20 tuner in the package when I bought the radio not using it but it works fine also.
N9GUE Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2011 10:30 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the FT-847 new 12/29 1998. I still have this rig and it still has outstanding performance. Only 2 problems both, were the on/off switch. Some have said the HF performance is not good. That is a far from the truth. Most operators have never learned to turn their RF gain down. After 13 years of QSO's I think this rig deserves a 5 rating. Would I buy another? Will not need to as it is like the energizer bunny.
W9LVM Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2010 11:54 Send this review to a friend
All around a good radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am waiting to get my 3rd FT-847 this week! I read all the comments on Eham and about 95% are happy as could be their FT-847! I would think with any radio out that 5% would not be happy no Mather what with their radio! It is not a FT-1000 and it will never be a FT-1000 but all around for the money you can not beat it! Had a Kenwood TS-2000 and got rid of it. Yaesu should have had a tuner buily in the radio like most Mfg. but then I use a long wire for HF by SGC and love it!
IK0YKM Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2010 03:44 Send this review to a friend
Beautiful radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Outstanding for SSB satellite traffic;
On a good compromise...
Good design.
N4MJG Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2010 21:14 Send this review to a friend
Awsome Rig !  Time owned: more than 12 months
the FT 847 keep on ticking ! no problem !