Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-847 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-847
Yaesu FT-847 Reviews: 168 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $1599
Description: HF+2M,6M and 70cm Transceiver
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/ft847.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-847.

N0AZZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2011 04:08 Send this review to a friend
Still Holds it's Own  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have owned mine for about 4 mo searched for this one for about 6 mo wanted a nice one to be used for weak signal VHF work and Satellite.

After I received it I found the HF was not bad at all and decided to make it my backup rig for HF also. My main rig is a FTDX-5000MP and the FT-847 doesn't have a bad receiver either. I have both of them hooked to my VL-1000 amp. The FT-847 has 1k on 160-6m and a 2m brick this radio is easy to setup for all bands and a pleasure to use. I did get the FC-20 tuner in the package when I bought the radio not using it but it works fine also.

N9GUE Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2011 10:30 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the FT-847 new 12/29 1998. I still have this rig and it still has outstanding performance. Only 2 problems both, were the on/off switch. Some have said the HF performance is not good. That is a far from the truth. Most operators have never learned to turn their RF gain down. After 13 years of QSO's I think this rig deserves a 5 rating. Would I buy another? Will not need to as it is like the energizer bunny.

W9LVM Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2010 11:54 Send this review to a friend
All around a good radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am waiting to get my 3rd FT-847 this week! I read all the comments on Eham and about 95% are happy as could be their FT-847! I would think with any radio out that 5% would not be happy no Mather what with their radio! It is not a FT-1000 and it will never be a FT-1000 but all around for the money you can not beat it! Had a Kenwood TS-2000 and got rid of it. Yaesu should have had a tuner buily in the radio like most Mfg. but then I use a long wire for HF by SGC and love it!

IK0YKM Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2010 03:44 Send this review to a friend
Beautiful radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Outstanding for SSB satellite traffic;
On HF...is a good compromise...
Good design.

N4MJG Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2010 21:14 Send this review to a friend
Awsome Rig !  Time owned: more than 12 months
the FT 847 keep on ticking ! no problem !

Jackie
N4MJG
WWW.N4MJG.COM

VK4BOF Rating: 4/5 Jun 10, 2010 17:52 Send this review to a friend
Great VHF/UHF Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
In my amateur life I have had 2 FT847's.

The first was an early model, with the uni-directional CAT interface and an unstable master oscillator.

I got the oscillator to be stable after buying a TCXO kit from Kuhne Electronics but never got the CAT interface sorted. (I was quoted over AU$200.00 to get the CPU replaced by my local Yaesu distributors and deemed it to be too overpriced.)
I had alot of fun with that radio on the 6M and higher bands.
(I never used that one on HF at all)

My second FT847 was a dream, it had all the Yaesu mods done as it was one of the last 847's made.
(To the point that the circuit diagram and parts layout drawings in the service manual were different to the actual radio!)

It had a stable oscillator, all the interfaces worked correctly and I actually used it on HF. (And in a few contests too!)

I have also owned an FT897d and a Kenwood TS480SAT, both of which were easily shadowed by the 847, particulary on 6M in the Kenwoods case.
(The 897D was crap everywhere, its a piece of junk.)

I have only just recently sold my FT847, which has been replaced with an Elecraft K3/100 with its internal 2m transverter.
The Elecraft gives me the 6M and 2M performance I am used to with the 847 but with far greater selectivity.
To me, the Elecraft K3 was the ONLY upgrade path available for my VHF activities.

VE6GWC Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2009 13:00 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first rig when I got into amateur radio in 2005.
This is the one unit I will likely never sell.
All mode all band, satellite, digital work... a beauty
Good filters, knobs on the front make adjustments easy, clear audio, 4 antenna connections, can use ATAS-120A screwdriver antenna also.
This rig is more portable than my other rigs so I use this when camping or other.
I have read about the little problems and issues associated with this rig but all rigs have their little problems.
Currently I use my FT-847 for 2m & 70 cm as well as digital modes. I found it easy to connect for digital using HRD than my 950
Nothing bad to say about this baby.
I use an FT-950 and FT-1000 MP Mark V for HF work.

G0KSC Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2009 15:51 Send this review to a friend
good rig with little factory misses  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this rig for the purpose of 70MHz only and like G7VGG says, the powerout is sorted by a PA1O mod, removing a cap form the bottom of the PA board and snipping an alc wire does the job. HOwever, the reciever on 4M is poor. pre-amps will help but the real problem is the BPF. PA1O again has a fix for this, 10 components bring the receiver up form only receiving 1MV signals to 0.4MV. adding a pre-amp now will give 0.1MV signals on 4M. One other good mos is chanign all pin diode to high quality types, this reduces receive noise.

All in all a good rig once the half-done job of the Yaesu engineers is completed.

Justin G0KSC
www.g0ksc.co.uk

9M6WST Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2009 01:35 Send this review to a friend
Best Rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Own it about a year. Never easily get hot during operation. Good audio and the DSP are so good. Easy operation and menus. Recommended rig to have.

WA4RVB Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2009 12:10 Send this review to a friend
NICE RIG  Time owned: more than 12 months
A GOOD ALL AROUND RIG..IF YOU WANT A GREAT HF RIG. FORK OUT THE 10 GRAND..