Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-847 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-847
Yaesu FT-847 Reviews: 168 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $1599
Description: HF+2M,6M and 70cm Transceiver
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/ft847.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-847.

KF4FVG Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2014 09:39 Send this review to a friend
It has been a solid performer for 14 years.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Yaesu FT847 in January of 2000 and set it up as my base station when I had my Tech license and have never had a problem with it in all that time. It does so much that I still have to refer to the manual from time to time. I currently have it connected to a dual band dipole and MFJ945D antenna tuner for HF, a 6M dipole, 70CM ground plane and 2M ground plane antennas. I'm learning CW and have a straight key plugged in. I use a boom mic with a foot peddle switch for voice. I also have my computer hooked up through a SignaLink SL-1+ for PSK31. It takes up a small footprint on my desk for all that it is capable of doing and encouraged me to upgrade to general. I've never had any desire to trade it in on a newer model radio as this one has kept me satisfied. I haven't had time to fully explore all the features this radio offers. Building a satelite antenna and a final license upgrade are hopefully in my near future.

UY5ON Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2014 14:16 Send this review to a friend
NICE RADIO   Time owned: more than 12 months
Since my arrival in Estonia es4uy (in a rare square ko49cj) Problem arose in the range of 70 mhz. Acquired Yaesu FT-847 (which proved to be a quite not bad when compared with devices of the same class and even with Icom-7100 buyout I did not like at all )
Problem here in a surprising number of stations located in Russia and broadcasting in the range 70 mhz.And me to the border ... a little more than 1 km After all upgrades carried es1ii (Hellar Pagi)
many thanks to him.FT-847 I do not know .... To day is the best solution problems ranges 144-70-50
mhz The only thing that had to be added is a bandpass filter cavities. 50 and 70 MHz

G1MQQ Rating: 1/5 Jul 16, 2013 06:42 Send this review to a friend
Wish I still had my IC7400  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought secondhand from silent key sale as a backup for my IC756 proIII and ft 8900r.

VHF UHF O.K but HF is appalling.
DSP ? The scratch and rumble filters on my HiFi amplifier do a better job, in fact the simple NR on this rig is better than the DSP
Selectivity very poor.
No VOX
Ergonomically poor. Too much crammed onto the small front panel resulting in very small knobs (especially the concentric ones) and switches and difficult to read labels
Loads of bells and whistles but compared to the IC756 PROIII (maybe unfair) HF isn't on the same planet, let alone ballpark.

When I last tried it, with a view to selling it, HF PA was dead. I'm in no rush to repair it as I know I will never use it

K5TED Rating: 4/5 May 30, 2013 19:19 Send this review to a friend
Good radio.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this radio from an eHam ad, after looking for years for that "good deal". This radio came with the MD-100 and optional Collins filters. To be honest, it doesn't get much use at all. However...... Every once in a while I fire up the 847. It always gets good reports on audio quality on HF and V/U, and I'm always pleased with the performance on casual HF contacts. It has a good receiver and the digital filter hasn't failed me yet for knocking out the adjacent noise. It's not a contest rig. It is a very good all-purpose rig. Much better than the 897/857, and having used both, in my opinion, better even than the TS-2K in overall goodness.

Even today, 8 years after being disco'ed, the radio still commands prices in the $1k+ range.

There's a reason for that.

ZS4U Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2013 11:48 Send this review to a friend
More than I expected!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I traded mine for a FT-920. I have had many radios so I am in a position to make a sober judgement. The 847 is not the top HF performer when it comes to filtering QRM BUT, after doing the diode mod the receiver has a lower noise floor than the FT-1000MP MKV (which also had the noise floor mod.) It is simple to operate, has a great audio punch when using the Heil HC5. For an old DC to daylight it performs well. I also did the power switch mod. This is one of the Yaesu legacy radios in my opinion. If you can get one in good nick - grab it.

KD8MRK Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2013 18:49 Send this review to a friend
Great rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's very good station. Has all bands and power 100W and on 2m and 70 cm full 50W output.
RX is very sensitive, has a build in amplifier for HF and VHF/UHF, keyer, satelite mode. Large display.
What I need is now transvertor for 24 cm band.

Working on EME, Satellites, simplex CW, and my personal record was QSO on FM simplex channel 29,600 MHz with Alaskan station KL7YK 3781 miles
or QSO with JM7OLW CW 11,400 miles also on 10 meterband. I like to work on as long waves as 15 meters and short as 24 cm.

VA6GC Rating: 4/5 Nov 12, 2012 09:27 Send this review to a friend
VHF/UHF failure  Time owned: more than 12 months
I wrote a review in 2009 on this radio.
I still think it's a great radio but I was chatting yesterday and the VHF / UHF power out just up and failed.
All the HF bands work fine in ALL modes but VHF/UHF do not TX in any mode. The radio responds perfect but no power out.

The radio was cool and antenna was set up well.
So I guess a FT-857D or FT-8800R in order

K1TWH Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2012 19:15 Send this review to a friend
VG radio HF <> 70cm  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
___Iíve been using a Yaesu FT-847 for the last 6 months. While I donít have VHF-UHF weak signal 2M or 70cm antennas, it hears all the local repeaters better than any other radio Iíve used at this location. Iíve placed an INRAD #706 (2.6 kHz) into the receive SSB path, and a #726 (2.9 kHz) into the transmit SSB path. The RF speech processor is a welcome addition, with virtually all stations preferring it enabled. Tx audio is said to be well balanced and with punch using the stock hand-mic. For this radio, the INRAD mechanical or crystal filters will do a much better job on receive. I found the complaints of poor-fair performance on HF to be perhaps a side-effect of the stock filters. While this radio does have a very nice AF DSP CW filter , a good CW filter in the IF is still needed for best performance. I've installed the INRAD #705 (500 Hz). The 847Ďs digital notch is slower than modern radios, but will handle multiple tones and null them very effectively. The digital noise reduction is not nearly as good as modern radios. The LCD display is excellent. It is really clear and easy to read. The AGC works very well on both fast and slow. The noise blanker works, like most. It works better on some noise sources than others.
___All the needed controls are right up front. Little need to dip into the simple menu. The radio has a list of beneficial mods. They offer very real improvements. My thanks to all the hams that published the mods making it easy for me to update the radio without doing the re-engineering. With the exception of the Power On/Off switch, the build quality inside the unit is very good to excellent. The radio has great Ďfeelí on the controls, and it is matched by the parts chosen on the inside. Perfect, well no. But for me, the 847 is a daily 5 for 5.

N4MJG Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2011 19:32 Send this review to a friend
Best Rig !  Time owned: more than 12 months
When i brought this rig back 2001 fell in love with this rig ! also i use it on cw it work like it sould.

The 2nd best thing is first time ever using satelite last year works great ! not a problem with this rig ! even know it no longer make them ,but you can find them at hamfest ! as long it works for you !

Jackie
N4MJG
Been Hamming 10 years !

VA3JPX Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2011 05:36 Send this review to a friend
Does the job!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned two FT-847's. My first one was purchased in 1998 and sold in 2000 as I needed funds for a down payment on a house. I purchased my 2nd FT-847 in 2001 and I've had it ever since.

I've used my FT-847 for VHF/UHF satellite, and regular repeater rag chew. Recently, in the past 5 years I've been using it on HF with a manual tuner, and most recently an FC-20 auto tuner. As this radio is an all-in-one I was quite surprised at it's performance. Aside from lacking some features found on most HF rigs, the radio has performed quite well on HF.

Now the FT-847 is my backup HF rig, as I've upgraded to an FT-950.

I like having the ability to run full-duplex on some of the repeaters here in Ottawa, Ontario. Sat mode isn't always used for satellite operations. :)

The only problem I've had with my 2nd FT-847 is the memory/channel control. It started acting up about 3 years ago, after the radio had been sitting unused for 3 years. I guess it has some dust in the pot, because when you turn it - it goes to the next channel, then goes back to the channel you were on. you have to turn it left and right, then left and right .. in order to get the channel you want or adjust a menu item. So i guess I could open it up and get some contact cleaner into it.

Would I buy another? Yes, if the price is right. These FT-847's are ranging from $800 to $1100 on ebay (depending on condition). They seem to remain in high demand, despite being discontinued.

Good radio.