Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Mosley TA 53 Help

Reviews Summary for Mosley TA 53
Mosley TA 53 Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $812.95 + shipping
Description: 5 band HF beam

You can write your own review of the Mosley TA 53.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2006 13:01 Send this review to a friend
BIG,"SWEET",SIGNALS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the Mosley TA-53-M up since Field Day 2006 with ZERO complaints. Assembly was easy & took about an hour with 2 of us working on it.It KICKS butt as I expected it would.No prop to speak of on 10 or 12 meters so far but I'm sure it will do as well as it does on 20,17,& 15 meters.The SWR's are GREAT just as advertised and like my previous tri-bander(15 year old TA-33JR)does NOT keeping me waiting in the pileups.The wait was a couple of weeks longer than expected but now I think well worth the wait.Folks talk BAD about the traps & losses with traps but maybe the losses are REALLY small & that's why it works so GREAT for just rag chewing & in the DX pileups.NO moving parts just "BIG" signals.Make your own choice for your investment but the folks at Mosley have been doing it right now for 67 PLUS years!Catch you in a pileup soon & compare our signal reports! The TA-53-M is a GREAT 5 band beam with ONLY a 14 ft boom so check one out yourself!ClaytonW4KVW

N9PYS Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2006 12:29 Send this review to a friend
gain on 17m  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I put up the TA53M 2 weeks ago, and have been running it through the ringer on all the bands. I am very impressed with the gain it provides, especially on 17m. Flat swr on all the bands at 40 feet. The F/B ratio is not any concern of mine, I am only interested in the gain, which is what its all about. This is my 2nd Mosley, had a TA33 up for years and was 20 years old when I got it. Hope the 53 last as long. Can't go wrong with a Mosley.

KQ4KK Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2006 13:18 Send this review to a friend
Built like a TANK  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had it on the roof since August 1993. Just took it down after almost 13 years. In GREAT shape. No rust, no damage. Almost looks like new. Yea, no front to back, but works great on all 5 bands.

AA2SQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2004 01:06 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Installed the TA53 Two wks ago on a Glen Martin 8ft roof tower with 8ft mast,SWR flat on all bands not much with F/B but overall the beam works great. I had the A3S by cushcraft had to modify the boom a few times when it broke in half I think they should change the name to crushcraft hi hi. I recommend theTA53 will built much heavy than the A3S but strong and sturdy.

Joe
AA2JE

SP7BTB Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2003 11:31 Send this review to a friend
Perfect  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Almost one year in African environment -rain, dust & very high temperature - still working very well.. you can hear me as 9L1BTB.....
The only concern was this one screw connection of pipes when others use clamps but it works......

N1JAO Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2003 19:21 Send this review to a friend
What a difference!! *****  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just had the antenna installed professionally last week up @53 feet on a rooftop tower. Mosley promised the antenna in 3 weeks and that is precisely when I received it. I previously had a Cushcraft A3S up for 8 months, and while that was a very good antenna, the Mosley is built so much better. It is so sturdy, and built of top-notch materials, I can see why people have had these birds up for thirty plus years. When it came to the ultimate test of running in the shack and testing the bandwidths, I was stunned to find an absolute 1:1 throughout all 5 bands! I thought that the installers hooked it up to a dummy load. HI! It is incredibly broad banded. So far, despite the fact that the bands have been mezza mezza for the past week, I have already worked SV9CVY, 7X4AN, JA, EA, IK, and on and on! I sold my Ameritron AL-811 to pay for the install, and the old adage of putting the $ into the antennas really holds true. Antennas first, then the rig and linear. K1NDV, and K1RAW, and their helper are tremendous. They are meticulous, knowledgeable, and reasonable. (Thanks guys!)
Robert
N1JAO

N2EIO Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2002 10:33 Send this review to a friend
Perfect for its purpose  Time owned: more than 12 months
Reviews for this antenna run the entire gamut. My experience: The antenna is very well made, assembly was straight forward, and it has been completely trouble-free. Performance is as described by Moseley, including the SWR curves. For those reporting different performance, I must assume there is something in the installation that is responsible.

I needed a compact antenna (due to trees), and I wanted respectable gain on all bands from 10m to 20m, including the WARC bands. As Moseley states, the trade-off is F/B, which is only 5 db on 12m, and 10 db to 16 db on the other bands. Frankly, most people want their directional antenna optimized for gain, which is what Moseley has done. What you end up with is a robust yagi with good gain on a short boom (turning radius less than 15 feet) and a small wind-load (6.7 sq. ft).

Bottom line: 7 years of reliable performance and no regrets.

W1ZE Rating: 3/5 Aug 18, 2001 22:48 Send this review to a friend
5-Bands with bandwidth but poor Front to Back  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a TA53M up since 93 and like most Mosley products it is built to last. It has weathered the worst Mother Nature has to offer here on the Maine coast. The advantage of this antenna is that it packs 5-bands onto a 14-foot boom and offers forward gain of what you would expect for a 3-element trapped yagi. BUT, the front to back is almost non existant and especially bad on 20-meters. When Mosley said they had to sacrifice something to get gain and bandwidth it was front to back. I would have been happy with a little less forward gain and more front to back. If you are not a contester and still like to hunt DX it is well worth the money. But if you want performance with front to back, try the Force-12 C3 ot Traffie Hex beam.

W4DBC Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2001 15:26 Send this review to a friend
Still Super  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just added the 40 meter add on kit. Everything fit perfectly and swr was excellent throughout the entire band. It didn't effect any of the other bands and everything is working great!

N1TKS Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2001 12:07 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna, Built Well  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Mosley TA 53 M was purchased about 4 years ago. I had limited space and wanted to operate on 20 through 10 including the WARC bands using a Roof tower.
Prior to purchasing the antenna I did much homework and decided that the TA53M would satisfy the installation enviorment and the operating needs.
It is true that the front to back is not as good as a monobander or perhaps a tribander but one is dealing with a relatively short boom 5 band beam.
As Mosley states in their description they sacrifised front to back for gain.
The antenna works great and it is built like a tank. The swr is as described but I do have some
high swr on 10 meter CW portion but this is due to some interaction with peaked roof because the
SWR changes as the beam swings away from the roof. This is also discussed by Mosley in their well written direction sheet, that "artificial ground" should be avoided and may detune the antenna.
In general I think the antenna works as described and should be a consideration if one does not have the facility to stack antennae or use full length log periodic type arrays

73 N1TKS