Reviews Categories | Microphones | Heil HM-i for Icom Help

Reviews Summary for Heil HM-i for Icom
Heil HM-i for Icom Reviews: 38 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $96 (Street)
Description: Studio Condensor Microphone for Icom Radios.
More info: http://www.heilsound.com/HMinew.htm

You can write your own review of the Heil HM-i for Icom.

N8YV Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2004 00:20 Send this review to a friend
Top Performer!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned three Heil microphones, this is the best one of all. "Fits" my IC-746 like a hand to a glove. It is not a microphone for some newer ICOM rigs, but on my 718 and 746, it has proven unbeatable! I have had the best audio reports all round, using this mic. If your rig has a transmit tone control like the 746, set it fairly high.
Also, it is important NOT to operate the mic in the "narrow" switch position (this advice comes straight from Bob Heil during a phone conversation I had with him). I operate my 746 at a gain setting around "11 o'clock" on the control potentiometer, running just a bit of carefully adjusted audio compression. When used with my IC-718, I have excellent reports on that rig, as well.

I tried the Gold Line at first, but its performance on either rig was not up to par. ICOM's unique microphone circuitry on its older rigs, apparently doesn't get along well with the Gold Line. THIS microphone definitely DOES get the job done! My thanks to Bob for all his help back in 2001.

K5LDL Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2003 12:37 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Microphone  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hello again Friends,

Yes, I have an HM-i. I got this gem from a guy who hated it because he tried to use it with another brand of radio. Well... Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I took him up on his offer of 45 dollars for this mic! I made out like a bandit! I've used this mic for VHF contesting, ragchewing, emcomms, and even on HF (where the "real big boys" hang out). I've used it on FM, AM, SSB in 'open' and compressed audio formats and have had nothing but the most glowing of UNSOLICITED audio reports. I've used the mic on the following radios with far more than excellent results: ICOM 746, 746PRO, 756, 756PRO, 756PRO II, 910, 706 MKII-G, 2800, and even the 207H!

Not only do I love the audio going out, I love the look, fit, finish and 'feel' of this mic. I feel like a radio or audio professional when using this bad boy. I love this mic so very much I bought another one just like it (with the BIG element in the head) only to have it stolen by vandals when they broke into my truck. Goodbye Heil Mic and Par Antennas. Anywaaayy.... I like to use my mics from 1"-2" distance from my mouth as I work a contest or a ragchew. Once 'dialed in' for your particular radio, leave it alone and enjoy the fact that others like your audio... I understand the new Heil ICM is just as good... I'll just have to go out and get one and do my own comparison!

Until then; 73!

Luis KD5KJD

P.S. I have several Heil Products and have reviewed all of them elsewhere on this site.

REEF2K Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2003 17:26 Send this review to a friend
dynamic & punchy  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
i had to pay the normal rip-off uk price,around 100 pounds with lead,but it performs very well with my ic 746pro & 756 pro with loads of gain and a good frequency range. i run the rigs mic gain at half way and bass at +2 and treble at +4/5.if your radio has no tx tone controls then it may be a disadvantage. i also have a goldline and im told the sound is rather mellow but the hmi is bright and strong but not harsh.
i would recommend this mike for the above radio's but don't know if they'd work as well with other icom's

KF4LVC Rating: 4/5 Jan 23, 2003 15:08 Send this review to a friend
Very good mic  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased my HM-i from Bob Hiel himself a year ago (very knowledgable and nice guy). I wanted something a little better than the SM-6 I was running on my '746. The workmanship of this mic is outstanding and the dual filters are very convienient. I must say that for regular ragchews, this is the mic to have! The audio freq response is top-notch studio quality. However, for DX and rough band conditions on HF, I still find my D104 a better choice, even if the audio is "flatter" and more "tinny".
The Heil HM-i IS worth the money and I would reccommend it. But keep a D104 on hand for DXing!

VK5NJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2002 21:00 Send this review to a friend
what a great product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
well i have to thank Bob Heil for his advise & emails about the mic Hm-i, the work manship is a-1,the reports so far are fantastic ,thats not knocking the trusty sm-8 i have used for many years with my Ic-756 the original model.Thanks to as well from R&L electronics for there super quick response to e-mail and to post it to vk area,6days is quicker than mail in vk itself.Must also mention,USE the proper connecting cable for the Hm-i as well the settings are spot on as well .cheers for now vk5nj john

KC2HHY Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2002 08:41 Send this review to a friend
Great mic, Great value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I decided to go Heil and I am glad that I did. I have ICOM equipment (756pro and a pair of 820H's). I previously used an SM-20 and SM-8 on the rigs. (You'll soon see them posted for sale on a web site near you.) The mic's are fine, but all in all I found them too hot for my liking, and candidly, I like the convenience of a boom mount with a foot switch. So, I went to the HMi and started getting outstanding audio reports on both FM and SSB. I have had no complaints about audio punch quality v. the SM-20 or SM-8. Then again, I've never tried a D-104 on my radios. I guess like beauty, the Tx audio of a mic is in the eye of the beholder.

Now what I call the bad news. I called Heil to find out what's going on with all of the "blow out sales promotions" on the HMi. They told me that they are phasing out the HMi for the ICM. Granted, the ICM has a cable attached, but the ICM does not have as wide a frequency response. This is not a bad thing. Rather just a matter of taste. So, I picked up 2 more HMi's from a retailer selling them for $49.95.

I'm sorry to see Heil discontinue the mic.

73's
ed
kc2hhy

KD2E Rating: 2/5 Oct 27, 2002 21:36 Send this review to a friend
Also switched to D104  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got this mic with an IC736, and tried it out on my PRO. It worked, but everyone I checked with gave better on-air reports when using the D104.
I have a transistorized version that I got new a while back.
I used a D104 years ago with my HW101, again with my TS520 and 830.
You'd think I would have learned by now!!!

WD40 Rating: 3/5 Oct 27, 2002 00:04 Send this review to a friend
Switched to D-104  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After reading all the reviews on this mic, I thought it would be the right choice for my IC-718. After many days of trying this and trying that, I found that the stock hand mic had more punch then the Heil. My reports came back saying it sounded ok but I kept having to repeat everything when signals got weak. The crisp punch was just not there. Finally, I decided to hook up my old D-104 after adding a 33k resistor to the audio line. Big, big difference. Super audio reports and everybody agreed after tying all 3 mics, the D-104 won hands down. Maybe the Heil had problems, maybe I had a bad mic I don't know but the mic did work, just not as well as the Astatic.

VE2AKV Rating: 3/5 Jul 26, 2002 18:12 Send this review to a friend
No audio Punch!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well i try this mic and no thank you for me.
I got a 751-A Icom rig and a Astatic D-104.
On hf there no is no audio puch so i received a 5/5 on report ...change for the D-104...5/9...
But a least it`s a nice quality finish and well made for shure...and a great compagny for customer service.

K5ZP Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2002 15:22 Send this review to a friend
Best Value + Excellent Performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm using the HM-i on my IC-765. I picked up the rig this winter without a microphone and originally had an SM-20 in mind. After a call to Ron at HRO San Diego I experienced severe "sticker shock". Let's get a grip.....an electret microphone for $259 retail!!!

I had some experience with the SM-20 and know that it works well, has perfect reviews and is of high quality but........ I just couldn't shell out that much money for the mike. (Electronics manufacturers extensively use electrets because of their extremely low cost and ease of manufacture - typical electret elements cost less than $.25 each in bulk)

On to the HM-i. AMCOM sent me the mike and Icom cable for around $110. I consider this to be an excellent value because you are getting two mike elements to fit most normal applications (contest and casual). The fit and finish were above par. The matching cable is well built, shielded and is of high quality.

This mike must be equalized with any Icom transceiver using the transceiver's built in mike equalizer. Heil gives a chart depending on your particular transceiver. The recommended settings produced good results. I have my mike gain set so that I can fairly close talk the mike (2 inches) and have received many excellent audio reports.

Here's my only minor problem with the mike. Switching into the narrow position produced overly equalized audio. Additionally the gain characteristics were different than the wide condensor element. My speech processor went off the scale when I first switched the narrow element in.

After re-equalizing the mike and changing the gain the performance was excellent. This normally isn't a problem as I can reset the rig quickly especially if I know in advance that I'll be working a contest. The added performance negates the minor task of moving the settings a couple of notches. I was able to tell immediately that weak DX could hear me better on the narrow element.

Well there's my experiece with the mike on an IC-765. It should work in a similiar fashion on most Icom transceivers. Looking at the Heil transceiver equalization chart it is apparent that the frequency response of the microphone amps for the many ICOM transceivers that this mike will work with vary widely. Set it up per the instructions and play with it later. I can recommend it and saving over $100 is icing on the cake.

73 de Steve,