Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-2980r Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-2980r
Yaesu FT-2980r Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $189.95
Description: The improved FT-2980 now with 80 Watts of High power output! No Cooling Fan
Needed, a huge, easy-to-read display, and one-touch WIRES™ Internet Linking
Access capability are yours with the rugged new FT-2980R!
More info: http://https://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=106&encProdID=38C80CFCE166F351389D979FE1311373&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-2980r.

KG7OR Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2017 22:46 Send this review to a friend
Almost perfect  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you're looking for a straightforward 2 meter FM transceiver for your base station and don't need other bands nor modes, this may be the perfect choice. Very high power, simple controls, big digital display, and lots of audio.

Another reviewer commented on the tight feel of the volume and squelch controls, and I agree. But that's in character with the rest of the radio: it's heavy-duty in every respect. Wimpy controls would be more out of character than than the tight ones found on the '2980.

I said that it's nearly perfect for a base radio, but mobile mounting might be a challenge. The problem is the SO-239 connector, which is blocked on the left and right by the rear of the housing--you can only twist the barrel of your PL-259 from the top and bottom, and fingers only; no tools. That's going to make it tough to attach your antenna in a tight mobile installation. I actually had to connect my coax before mounting the radio in its holder at my operating position. I don't know how I would have done it with the radio mounted flush against a panel or something in a vehicle.

So, give your procedure some serious thought before starting a mobile installation. Aside from that, the '2980 does what it's designed to do extremely well.

KD2IYI Rating: 3/5 Nov 28, 2017 12:23 Send this review to a friend
A mixed bag  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I see plenty of reviews for the FT-2900 but none for the newest edition, the FT-2980R. The 2900 appears to be well liked here, and for that reason, I decided to purchase the 2980r as a 2m base for my shack, assuming it to be simply a better version of the older radio.

I have mixed feelings about the 2980r. It has a enough annoying features that I've considered returning it to HRO, butI got mine for the unbelievably low price of $124.95 (Cyber Monday pricing) and feel that the discount over list perhaps compensates for the annoyances.

What I like:

- YUUUUGE display. It looks to be about 1" high and can easily be read across the room.
- The large tuning knob
- Ease of use. If you have another Yaesu radio, you'll be instantly comfortable with this one. If you don't, programming it isn't much of a chore.
- Built like a tank. Seriously - this thing is all heat sink
- 80w of power. 'nuff said

The annoyances:

- The LOUD beep from button presses. There is no volume control for this. It's either on or off. The loudness is probably okay in a vehicle but not in a home shack.
- Buttons on the mic are recessed and so small they can't be easily pressed.
- The volume and squelch controls are way, way, WAY too sensitive. Volume, in particular, is awful. It goes from low to LOUD with barely any movement of the knob. The knob, too, has a strange feel to it - almost as if it has spring tension behind it. Perhaps this will break in over time, but it's not a good out of box experience.
- Scan speed is ridiculously slow. I have an FT-60 that will run circles around it.
- It is IMPOSSIBLE to completely turn down the volume on this unit. When you do, you'll still hear the audio at a low level. This has to be a bug and I hope Yaesu fixes it. It may be okay in a vehicle, where background noise will cover it up, but in the shack it's definitely audible.

If I'd paid full list for the radio I would have returned it and spent the extra $80 for an FT-7900. As it stands, I'll probably deal with the deficiencies and be thankful for the heavy discount I received.