Reviews Categories | Ham Radio education & exam prep materials | Mometrix Media (Flashcard Study System) Flashcards Help

Reviews Summary for Mometrix Media (Flashcard Study System) Flashcards
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 0.0/5 MSRP: $$35
Description: Ham Radio Extra License Exam Flashcard Study System

You can write your own review of the Mometrix Media (Flashcard Study System) Flashcards.

K7KAK Rating: 0/5 Nov 28, 2017 22:33 Send this review to a friend
serious mistakes   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The idea of flash cards is a good one. The idea of boxes and dividing the flash cards into levels of understanding is excellent. However things go down from there. The following points are listed in order of the magnitude of the problems, the last ones being the most serious:

1)These are not flash cards when you get them. They are perforated letter size cards that you must tear apart. This takes some time, but no big deal. However, because of the perforated edges, the cards stick together – still nothing too serious.

2)Then there was a mistake on the front of one of the cards. (The answer was shown on the front instead of on the back.)

3)The next problem was the fact the graphics are printed on one card and the 4-6 questions that pertain to that graphic are on separate cards. This defeats the idea of having cards so you can separate them into “I know this”, “I need to memorize this” & “I need to study this”.

4)At this point I wrote to the company about #2 and #3.
5) The company admitted #2 was a mistake that should not have happened and sent me a PDF of that page to print out by myself. Not nice having a thin paper where it should be a card, but I could live with it.

6)But about #3 they said they could not shrink the graphics or the text to fit and could not change the way it was. They said this is how it is on the test and that’s the way their materials work. End of story !!

7)I ask them to escalate this to a supervisor and the supervisor said they’d refund my money and I have no doubt they would have. However, I have already invested many hours in separating the cards, studying, annotating and so on. They did not offer to fix the problems and replace them, they just offered for me to return them so they could then keep selling these.

8)So, I printed out the graphics from the ARRL web site and used tape to attach the graphics to the relevant questions. A little ugly but I continued to study with them.

9)Then I noticed another typo on a card “frequency” was spelled “frequenc” and I started to lose confidence in the supplied answers.

10)Then I get to question E1F05 about frequencies that can’t be used above “Line A” and I notice there is a mismatch between the correct answer letter “D” and the text. I do a little research and find the correct answer is “D. 420 MHz - 430 MHz” but the flash cards lists the correct answer as “D. 222 MHz - 223 MHz”. This was a question I would just memorize – there is really nothing to study here, just memorize it. This could have been something I missed, memorized and would get wrong on the exam.

11)Now, I have no idea how many more wrong answers there are but now I am forced to check all such answers !!!!

This is on the extra class flash cards and I have no idea how accurate that the cards are for the technician class or the general class, but I have lost all confidence with the accuracy of their answers. I would not recommend these to anyone !!!