Reviews Categories | Batteries & Chargers for amateur radios. | West Mountain Radio EpicPWRgate Help

Reviews Summary for West Mountain Radio EpicPWRgate
West Mountain Radio EpicPWRgate Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $179.95
Description: The Epic PWRgate is West Mountain Radio's 3rd generation power gate product. It uses advanced Technology to achieve a very low power loss and has maximum flexibility to charge modern batteries. The Epic PWRgate is a 12 volt backup power system rated at 40 amperes continuous from either a Power Supply or a Battery
More info: http://www.westmountainradio.com/content.php?page=wmr-products

You can write your own review of the West Mountain Radio EpicPWRgate.

N4TL Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2017 08:21 Send this review to a friend
works great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this PWRgate on November 20, 2017 from DXEngineering. It is working fine. It has jumpers inside the case to set the battery type and charge current. But of you leave them off you can set the parameters with a utility program that can be down loaded from the West Mountain Radio website. The utility program is called WMR Diagnostics Utility. It enables the USB – COM port. If you double click on the line EpicPWRgate in the program, a window opens up that shows the information coming from the unit. The window is a serial port program. I stopped using that one and switched to a program called PuTTY. It is a serial port program too, but with it you can save the data in a log file. If you type S in the serial port program, the PWRGate will let you view and set the parameters. If you keep pushing enter without entering anything, it will show you the current settings without changing any of them. The Epic PWRgate sends a line of data once a second. It sends the state of the charger, charging, Trickle or power supply off, etc. Each line looks like this “Charging PS=14.36V Bat=14.16V, 0.26A Sol= 0.08V Min=36”.
I like this feature because I can make sure I leave the power supply on long enough to fully charge the battery. I added a fuse to my battery like the manual for the PWRgate states. I bought it at an Overton’s marine store. I also added a toggle switch to the battery mounted on the plastic battery case. The switch allows me to turn off the battery when my power supply is off. That stops my radio equipment from running down the battery. I found that the equipment draws current even when they are off, especially if they have a USB port connected to a computer.
73 Tom N4TL