Reviews Categories | Microphones | Heil HMM-iC (Icom) Help

Reviews Summary for Heil HMM-iC (Icom)
Heil HMM-iC (Icom) Reviews: 14 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $59 (Street)
Description: Hand Microphone for Icom Radios
More info: http://www.heilsound.com/HMMnew.htm

You can write your own review of the Heil HMM-iC (Icom).

VE3WCQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2014 19:02 Send this review to a friend
Kicks Butt  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was at the Radio store the other day, was trading my Ftdx-3000 in for a FT-2000D, boy I thought I loved the 3000. That will be a different post. Anyhow I had seen on the Heil site that they had brought this Mic out again and I picked one up for the IC-706M2G. Well I have been getting great audio reports "does not sound like a hand mic". Drives Radio like crazy with stock Mic I was on mic gain 6 or 7 with this one I am at 2. What ever they did to change it they seem to have done it for the better. I would buy again and do recommend it and if you do not like desk Mic's this would be one to look at, it will give you a nice full sound.

All the best.

Mike
VE3WCQ

PD5L Rating: 1/5 Dec 3, 2008 11:59 Send this review to a friend
poor  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Poor microphone, glad I sold. Overprices.

73'PD5L

K9NYO Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2005 18:57 Send this review to a friend
Great mic!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Since I was using the HM-i mic on my Icom 718, I jumped at the chance to buy a HMM-iC when I saw one used at Dayton in the flea market. I use this hand mic when taking the IC-718 portable for Field Day. I've gotten great audio reports, even though the OEM hand mic is pretty decent. By comparison, though, the HMM-iC is better sounding. The new Handi Mic probably rivals this, though, and I'm looking forward to doing a side-by-side test.

K0TEX Rating: 0/5 Jun 9, 2004 17:39 Send this review to a friend
No RJ45, No DTMF, 'top-talking' sounds ?better?  Time owned: more than 12 months
-So I thought I'd get the Heil sound for the 706G, NOPE- talking into the front sounds more like the thin, bass-free mediocre stock hand mic, (carrier offset at -200 for maximum bass) while 'top-talking' the mic into the screen on top yields a slightly bassier sound but sans high-frequency clarity.

- Maybe if I got the correct wrist action while transmitting, and rapidly occillated the mic from the front of the mic to top and back 2-3 times per syllable...

RJ45??? - NOOOO!! - But you can nearly double the overall price with a handy-dandy adaptor! @ ! # !

Actually started off asking for a Gold Line ELEMENT ONLY to install into an older Motorola hand mic with DTMF for the 706G in the mobile, was told "NO CHANCE!" - "I'm incompetent with audio, don't know what I'm doing, wouldn't sound right" including a little colorful language.

Now looking for a USED Gold Line to gut and install the ELEMENT ONLY into my older DTMF Motorola hand mic for the 706 in the mobile...

A private party will now get my cash instead of Heil, and I'll have what I originally asked for.

WB8CAC Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2004 14:16 Send this review to a friend
I love it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It's hard to understand some of the earlier review of this mic when I see how well mine works. I'm running it on an IC-718. With the stock mic everyone said I sounded "OK." Now I have the Heil mic on the rig...WOW ! More often than not, when I say I'm running the 718, I get asked what kind of mic I'm using because it sounds so good!

I run the compressor all the time and set the mic gain for voice peaks about 2/3 of the ALC scale. I havn't looked inside it and don't plan to. It works and works well!

THANKS HEIL!!!!!!

KC5LVW Rating: 2/5 May 10, 2003 06:48 Send this review to a friend
Confused & disappointed  Time owned: more than 12 months
MY bottom-line report is DON'T BUY IT! (at least til Heil does a re-engineer), Now why... I bought a HMM-iC when they first hit the market. It 's one of the tan body ones. That thing sounded beter than sliced bread & have enjoyed it ever since. I was a little confused as to why Heil DOES NOT offer a modular plug version whule they offer an adapter at nearly the price of a Mic. (?)

Anyway, I suggested this mic to a friens as a way to make his 706MKIIG sound "natural". He orders & it sounds worse than a $3 C.B. mic would have. Must be something wrong so he sends it back to Heil for investigation. Meanwhile, I'm feeling bad so I order one just to see for myself & again this one, while better than his sounds "hands-down" worse than the stock mic. Why?

I decided to disassemble both & see what there was to see. Essentially they look the same but.... both have "dual" elements where one is NOT USED and not even wired up. In my first mic it looks like they just cut the wires & added a electric condenser element (which looks identical to Radio Shack part number #270-090, $1.99). The new mic, has same parts but wires were never soldered to the dynamic element. So, both mics have an elemnt not being used nor can be used but is physically there.

Still, whay do they sound so much different? A closer look shows the famous Heil accoustical foam packing layout. The old mic has foam in front & back of the electric condenser element while the new mic only has a 1" square piece crammed in from the back, nothing in the front. Hmmm?

Also interesting was what was NOT there. There aren't any "shunt" capacitors & resistors across the electric confenser. Most of my HT mics, OEM & aftermarket, all use these to taylor the sound to housing being used. It's an easy way to change tone of the element anyway. Heil has none.

So, in closing (whew!), you could get a junk box C.B. mic , a $1.99 electric confenser from Radio Shack, & a little bit of foam (1" square) and essentially come up with what Heil has done. I'm very disappointed in engineering and most of all QA/QC from that kind of company.

73's
Jon, KC5LVW

NY4T Rating: 2/5 Oct 29, 2002 12:48 Send this review to a friend
Not as good as stock mic  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this mic and the HMM-K for my Kenwood TS450 at the same time. Tried the HMM-Ic on my Icom 761 and got better reports on stock mic even when using 8-band equalizer on HMM-Ic. Same reports on the Kenwood. Microphone also has a cheap feel to me and is uncomfortable to use for long periods of time.

KC2IGY Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2002 00:29 Send this review to a friend
Quick review.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Good audio. A little on the bassy side.
Built very solid.
Fairly inexpensive at $50.

It gets a 5 because it's the only HH mic that sounds decent on my ICOM.

K7UFO Rating: 3/5 Sep 19, 2002 18:09 Send this review to a friend
HMM-iC dba Hmmmmmm....  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had a need for an electret mic so as to be compatible with my Icom 765. I bought the HMM-iC for about $60 at the local ham store, brought it home, and installed it on my rig. Yeah, it worked OK with my rig. HOWEVER, the HMM-iC did not outperform what a typical electret mic element offers at a price of about $1 at your local electronic parts store. In fact the standard electret dynamic mic element for $1 has a flat response curve, with a slight gain/rise at the high end of the audio spectrum. In my opinion, the average parts house electret mic element does JUST AS GOOD A JOB as the HMM-iC. I opened my HMM-iC to see what appeared to me to be the same electret mic element as I got at the electret parts house for $1! My *new* HMM-iC also had a 'dynamic' mic element in it! However, the voice coil wires were clipped on this element - apparently to give the HMM-iC the weight and feel of a 'stout' mic. Perhaps this is what makes the HMM-iC "A very special hand microphone that contains the new Heil 'ic' electret condenser element that works only with ICOM tranceivers. HMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

N7KKR Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2002 02:22 Send this review to a friend
706IIG Booster Shot  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm a proud owner of a 706IIG and a FT-817. I use the HMM on both of them. My "5" rating takes into account the limitation Bob Heil had in producing mics for the Icom as the audio system insists on electret condensor elements. His great HC-4 element isn't an option there. You must make adjustments to the mic gain and compressor gain and confirm the suitibility on the values by looking at the ALC meter when you transmit.

Bottom line, hams I talk to routinely noticed something different and better. The clarity improvement on 160 with its early evening noise levels meant I was more easily understood.

73's Kevin N7KKR