Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | Arrow Antenna 146/437-10 and 146/437-10WBP Help

Reviews Summary for Arrow Antenna 146/437-10 and 146/437-10WBP
Arrow Antenna 146/437-10 and 146/437-10WBP Reviews: 44 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $139
Description: Portable Handheld Yagi for 146/437 mhz primarily used for satellite DXing. However, it can be mounted on a camera tripod and used for groundwave communications. 10 watts maximum for handheld operation/150 w maximum when mounted. Elements are made from aluminum "arrow" shafts. Lightweight, and made for quick assembly/disassembly. Weighs about 22 oz.
More info: http://www.arrowantennas.com

You can write your own review of the Arrow Antenna 146/437-10 and 146/437-10WBP.

KL7AC Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2010 21:56 Send this review to a friend
So much fun...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After a demonstration during Field Day I knew this was something I had to try.

The antenna was very easy to assemble and is of excellent quality.

I dug out an old Yaesu FT-530 and programmed the freqs for AO-51. With GoSATWatch on the Iphone went out and on my very first try worked three stations. MT, ID and WA are in the log.

I am an HF guy but this is a great way to try something different. I travel about the great state of AK quite a bit and hope to activate some more rare grid squares. The setup travels well and you can be active from anywhere.

K4TB Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2010 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Simple but Effective  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought an Arrow 146/437-10 about 4-5 years ago and used it infrequently to work repeaters from hotels, etc., with good results. This year however I gave it a real workout at Field Day as a satellite antenna on camera tripod, with great success. I used an old Icom 821H radio with 45w VHF and 35w UHF. I could easily hear all the satellites we tried, although getting through the pileups was a challenge at times. We did run a string of contacts on AO-7 when it came by. Even at the power levels we ran there was absolutely no receiver desense, part in due to the Icom's quality but no doubt a lot to do with the antenna's design. (We had separate VHF & UHF lines and our feedline losses were 1 dB at UHF; less at VHF.) The VSWR measured at the antenna was under 1.5 on both bands even at the satellite frequencies around 145 MHz and 435 MHz. This is a great antenna which is simple to use and easy to transport.

K4WY Rating: 4/5 Jun 3, 2010 09:46 Send this review to a friend
Good Portable Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Its a great way to get your feet wet with LEO FM sats. My first experience was working AO-51 using the Arrow antenna with a handheld dual band HT. I was able to make a few contacts usually 60 degress or higher in elevation. Don't count on contacts at or near the horizon. Now I am ready for a little more gain, a preamp and a permanent antenna but the Arrow was where it all started, so enjoy! but realize what you are getting.

N3YZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2009 04:58 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just received VUCC-Satellite. How to do it? Several months of transmitting portable in a school parking lot, with a Yaesu Ft-817, a camera tripod, and this Arrow yagi. Got plenty of crazy looks, but well worth the effort. 73! John, Annapolis, MD

K6LCS Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2008 09:53 Send this review to a friend
The CLASSIC Satellite Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had an engineer look at my Arrow Antenna. He told me it shouldn't work. Well, it sure does work - and brings the Ham Sat experience to those who only own HTs.

Here's my "mod" to the antenna: the addition of a Stanley(tm) hacksaw handle to the grip. Eliminates AWS - Arrow Wrist Syndrome.

Great quality. Great product.

LA9AKA Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2008 07:44 Send this review to a friend
Nice antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the split boom version with built in duplexer. Everything fits very nicely together and the overall build quality is high. On air performance is very good so far. I recommend using a tripod, it makes operating with a handheld TRX so much easier.

KF4ZMT Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2008 10:35 Send this review to a friend
Doesn't get any better than this.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There just isn't anything negative about this antenna. It is light weight, easy to assemble and most important of all, it just works great.

Having never attempted satellite communications before, I was a little uncertain about this antenna before I purchased it. But I can now say it has helped me to have the most fun I have ever had in ham radio.

You can read about how I got started and all my experiences at http://www.kf4zmt.com/kf4zmts-blog. Also, K7AGE has some outstanding YouTube videos detailing the antenna and satellite QSOs at http://www.youtube.com/user/K7AGE.

K3ROJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2008 16:52 Send this review to a friend
New Pastime  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After seeing Randy K7AGE on YouTube making contacts through satellites, I knew I needed one right away. I had already worked hundreds of stations using the now defunct FO-29 Japanese sat and the old RS-12/13 Sats a few years ago which were analog birds using rotating AZ-EL beams and a FT-847 Yaesu rig. Not having a dual band Handy Talkie, I am using my Kenwood TM-V71A mobile rig which I hadn't gotten around to installing yet. By using a medium sized lawnmower/tractor battery sitting on my picnic table, I was able to work through the AO-51 easily. The Arrow antenna works good for me using a camera tripod and stay at 10 watts. I see now that E-Bay is selling them for $138 buy now and free sipping.

WD4ELG Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2008 20:49 Send this review to a friend
This is the real deal  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got the Arrow 144/437-10WBP today; the UPS truck delivered at 6 PM. First SAT QSO on AO-51 at 7 PM. What a blast!

Solid design, lightweight, good materials.

If you're considering a purchase of an antenna, there is lots of great AMSAT info on the FM-Satellite yahoo group, and K7AGE's videos on YouTube. I am a selective buyer, and this antenna had so many good things said about it...not just on eham.net. I am so thrilled with my first AMSAT QSO!

AJ9K Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2008 13:22 Send this review to a friend
Worth the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use my Arrow to work FM satellites with a Yaesu VX-5R HT. It works great. I numbered the tip of each element and the corresponding hole on the mast using a permanent marker, to make assembly easy and quick. I can carry the Arrow unassembled in the trunk of my car or backpack, and assemble it in minutes, just before the satellite appears.

I've had a blast being "DX", handing out rare grids as my wife and I camp and hike across the country.

If you have a dual band HT, for a small additional investment, you can try satellites with an Arrow antenna and re-ignite the spark that brought you to ham radio in the first place. Have fun!