Reviews Categories | Microphones | NADY Systems StarPower1 Professional Dynamic Microphone Help

Reviews Summary for NADY Systems StarPower1 Professional Dynamic Microphone
NADY Systems StarPower1 Professional Dynamic  Microphone Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $65.00
Description: All-purpose professional stage & recording microphone - Excellent clear, transparent sound across spectrum with smooth bass, mid-presence punch, & crisp highs - UniDirectional cardioid pattern with superior feedback rejection - Rugged metal case, internal shockmount, Neodymium element cuts thru with accurate, distortion-free sound even in highest sound pressure level situations - Microphone clip included - XLR connector
More info: http://www.nadywireless.com/wiredmicline.html

You can write your own review of the NADY Systems StarPower1 Professional Dynamic Microphone.

W2NJU Rating: 4/5 Jul 6, 2014 19:47 Send this review to a friend
Good SSB Mic  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is the same mic as the Apex 880 I use. Made by Apex in China. It's a solidly built mic with a one piece element and it sounds outstanding on SSB. The impedence is perfect for Kenwood Radio like my TS-2000 and TS-570. It has gotten unsolicited audio reviews as good as those I have received for microphones costing much more. I even use the Nady SP-1 in a church in which I sing and it gives me rich lows, clear articulation and crisp highs with just a small touch of EQ. Face it. If you spent more than a hundred bucks for a mic for SSB, you spent too much. The biggest issue with this mic is the lack of shock isolation for the capsule so it is bad on handling noise..just like the the Apex 880. I think you'll find this mic to be a pleasant surprise. I did and I've been a radio broadcaster since 1972 using many different mics from cheap to very expensive.

KC0GSB Rating: 1/5 Apr 1, 2010 19:30 Send this review to a friend
Please!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Dirt cheap microphone that sounds like it. It's like having a blanket over your head when you talk into it. You can EQ this thing all day long and just be EQing bad sound. Fork up the dough and get a real microphone. Leave this one at Toys 'R' Us, or put it on your kid's Karaoke player.

MALAKAI Rating: 4/5 Jun 27, 2003 01:56 Send this review to a friend
Not bad  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this mic for $9.99, which also included a free xlr mic cable, at musiciansfriend.com. I thought it would be a piece of junk, but said "hey, I need a new mic cable anyway".

So, I receive this mic a few days later in the mail, hook it up, and wow, this mic picks up sound a lot better than my shure sm57 mic.

The problem was, if you sing too closely into the mic, the built in foam doesn't stop enough air. So, maybe a pop filter (or another windscreen on top of it) would help out a bit.

Anyway, I was doing some digital pc recording with cakewalk sonar and had to get a sax recorded. So, I first tried the shure sm57. I couldn't get the sound I wanted. So, I tried this mic, and after a few takes, It was perfect!

Later experimenting, I found that if I close mic vocals with the shure sm57, and put the nady SP1 a few inches away, recording both at the same time, I get a really great sound, better than recording with the sm57 alone.

I would not use this mic for lead vocals (except as mentioned with the sm57/sp1 combo setup), probably not even backing vocals, not for guitars, just for the small things that this mic is great at.

For a live mic, it would probably pick up too much noise from other instruments/music playing.

Rating this mic is pretty hard, because of the price tag. For the price, you've got the best you can get, but don't expect it to be used in place of an sm57 or sm58.

N5ZE Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2002 20:24 Send this review to a friend
Surprisingly good sound  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
How good can a ten buck mic sound? Very, very good and certainly far better than the stock hand mic that comes with most rigs, assuming your rig was designed for a 500-600 ohm impedance dynamic mic. For a voice application in a hamshack where a dynamic mic is needed, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Nady Starpower1.

To get a better sense of the sound quality, I A-B tested the Nady against the more expensive Shure SM57 I normally use for live instrument recording. With both identically configured (levels, eq, compression)on the mixer/rig I found I liked the Nady better for _SSB voice communications_.

A trip to http://www.musiciansfriend.com set me up with a Nady Starpower1 mic, 20 ft. cable, boom/stand, and a Behringer MX602 mixer (with very decent eq) for approx. $100 shipped. This price compares very favorably against even the low end desk mic solution from the rig vendors. Plus the mixer will give your shack substantial flexibility with audio routing, equalization, and level management.

And, if you have a black Yaesu rig (like an FT1000MP), you will probably find the black Starpower1 looks quite handsome with the rig.

The only disadvantage to the Nady Starpower1 solution is that you will need to find a mic base w/PTT switch if you want to use it like a traditional desktop mic. For me, the boom mic with footswitch/PTT (or VOX) is perfect.

ELEMENTS20 Rating: 4/5 Feb 8, 2002 11:50 Send this review to a friend
What a deal!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I, as with most of the other reviewers, purchased a bunch of these mics for $9.99 for my band. Of course, I knew I wouldn't be hearing a Shure SM58 out of these things, but it wasn't bad at all! Definately sounds like a mic for much more than its price. It's a bit sensitive, but again, it was ten bucks, and at that price you can't get a better deal for the sound.

TEEKO_NEEKO Rating: 4/5 Jan 22, 2002 17:25 Send this review to a friend
impressed with sp-1  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
for a mic that cost only $30 w/cable and stand included, this microphone proved itself to be worthy of any kind of recording or live entertainment. great mic at a dirt price...i don't know what they were thinking when they sold this!

WT8Y Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2001 10:19 Send this review to a friend
Great Buy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased on a lark, what a surprise, retired my EV 664 and Heil HC5. I use the W2IHY 8 band EQ and FT1000D with the NADY and it sounds super. Cable and mic for $25 bucks. You can't beat it.

KB3CDF Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2001 09:56 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for Equalizer + SSB Experiments  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This mic is used for SSB Phone in conjunction with the W2IHY equalizer and a FT-920. The SP-1 was found on sale with a package deal ($27): mic stand, adjustable boom, and 20 ft. XLR cable, (ref. <musiciansfriend.com>). The mic alone sells for $9.99. It was previously researched circa $90. 'not a paper-weight. I have no idea why something of this quality was placed on sale for $9.99, 10 BUCKS???

It is a dynamic mic with a -3dB bandwith of 80Hz thru 12kHz. It has a wide semi-flat response between 80Hz and 2500Hz. The response increases linearly between 2500Hz and 12kHz then drastically rolls off.

Before you spend BIG bucks on the OEM mic that matches the color of your radio, consider this system: SP-1(NADY) & W2IHY 8Band Equalizer. You will not get better quality for the same amount of money.

~~
John DE KB3CDF

WV4R Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2001 14:40 Send this review to a friend
This 'Studio HighBall' microphone works great on SSB rigs too.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I received a mail order flyer last week and saw the NADY SP1 ($65.00 listprice) On Sale for $9.99 I couldn't believe my eyes! I immediately called and ordered one thinking, at worst, it would make a good paperweight in the shack for that price.

It arrived in two days. When I opened the box I found a Very well made microphone inside with spec. sheet and mic. clip. The SP1 is sold by NADY Systems in California & made in China according to the box.

Although I bought an unknown item, I was pleasantly surprised by the spec. of 80hz-12khz, Unidirectional, -73db sensitivity, 130db SPL, 500 ohms(lo-z), die-cast zinc, steel mesh Ballscreen and adjustable mic. clip.

I installed the SP1 for use with the TS-870. I plugged it into the W2IHY 8-Band EQ and it preamped right up and sounded full, with lotza output, flat output from 80hz-12khz with a gentle roll-off from 80hz down to about 30hz. giving it a good 'bottom' sound for a neodymium dynamic element. A super feature for ham radio is the dramatic Unidirectional cardioid pattern which Really cuts down on the 'amateur studio ambiance' of amplifier squirrel cage fans, computer noises, and other distractions compared to my Radio Shack 33-1070 Omnidirectional by Shure for about the same price. The supplied mic. clip mated up to my Atlas telescopic swivel boom and with the sexy black Radio Shack foam 'sputter cover' it really enhanced the station appearance fer sure!

For my SSB audio, I rated it a Best Buy... for the money... Great looks, Great performance, Great price. wv4r