Reviews Categories | Antenna Switching, Phasing, Controllers | HAMPLUS AS-603A Automatic Antenna Switch Help

Reviews Summary for HAMPLUS AS-603A Automatic Antenna Switch
HAMPLUS AS-603A Automatic Antenna Switch Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $399.95
Description: HAMPLUS AS-603A Automatic Antenna Switches are actually
two very smart switches in one. They select one of three
radio ports and one of six antenna ports for the selected
radio to use, manually or automatically! Operation is
individual; only the selected radio port has access to
the selected antenna and unused antennas are
automatically grounded. Illuminated and internally
labeled momentary push buttons for each antenna and radio
selection let you know how your equipment is connected at
a glance.

You can write your own review of the HAMPLUS AS-603A Automatic Antenna Switch.

W5AKT Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2018 09:38 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna/Radio Switch  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Generally, I am extremely happy with the unit. It does exactly what it is designed for, works well, and is actually rather quiet when changing radios/antennas. Plus it looks good and makes my life easier.

1. Without using the radio interface the antenna switcher appears to have no way to detect when you are transmitting, thus rendering split mode useless. I didn't see anywhere saying that you needed to use the radio interface when using the unit. I have chosen not to use it partially because of the cost of the cables from them (but you can make your own, they do include wiring) and partially because I am already using the data interfaces on my radios for rig control.
2. It looks like if you accidently press two radio buttons or two antenna buttons at the same time the system has trouble figuring out what's going on and it chooses a radio or antenna at random. This should never be a problem in normal operation, I only noticed it because when switching radios I slipped, hit radio 1 and 2 at the same time, and radio 3 was selected.
3. The antenna switch saves which antenna and radio combo were last used when you turn it off. It takes a few seconds for it to save. Again, this should never be a problem in normal operation, I was just kinda curious how quickly it saved and found it to be a few seconds.
4. The packing was adequate to protect it, but you can tell it's not a high volume product. It basically looked like a hand-made packing solution instead of a box designed to fit the unit.

Relay Sound:
I was expecting something about as loud as my LDG 200 ProII, and its not nearly as noisy. The click it makes is generally lower in tone, and quieter, which makes it rather pleasantly reassuring. I had way too much fun pressing buttons and listening to clicks for the first 10 min.

Physical Appearance:
The finish on the case is good, nothing amazing, but far better than adequate and I am extremely happy with the way it looks. All buttons have orange LEDs behind them, I would have rather seen the antenna LEDs be a warm white and the radio be orange, but that's just a personal preference slightly lead by the white and yellow buttons. The buttons have a clear cover and come with a handful of pre-printed name markers for 160-6, ICOM, KWD, YAESU, and K3. I'm probably going to print up some of my own using transparency sheets.

The buttons themselves feel a bit like pressing a spring, don't have a positive feeling click at the end, and if you push too hard the whole line moves a bit. All buttons are momentary buttons and do not lock, but the light comes on when you press it to let you know which radio or antenna is selected. Generally I really like it still. I'm mostly nitpicking about the buttons.

Inside the unit there are two boards, one for relays/RF and one for control. They are separated well and designed pretty well. Mine has two small wires altering some traces on the board (I'm guessing there was a small design change and I have serial number 0003, so I would expect later boards to have the fix on the PCB). The RF board is attached very well, the control board is attached at three points which have some give in them - hence why pushing the buttons too hard makes them move some.

Other Thoughts:
I would have liked to see the power cable come with powerpole connectors, but that's a personal preference again. The 'user manual' is just a list of all the wiring diagrams, but it is well bound. And last but not least, if you read through all this and are on the fence about buying one - buy it, buy it now, it is amazing.
W1PEF Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2018 18:10 Send this review to a friend
HAMPLUS desktop switch  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I installed the HAMPLUS AS-603A antenna switch on my Elecraft K-Line rig. It can select from 6 antennas and 3 radios. It will allow for more than 2 antennas on the new KPA1500. The switch seems very fast and silent as it switches. The AS-603A can also be controlled by the radio (not tested yet). Once my new KPA1500 arrives, I plan to use the existing KPA500/KAT500 with my FT-991A as my second (backup) system. I purchased the switch at DX Engineering... I give it an excellent rating.