Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Icom SP-21 Help

Reviews Summary for Icom SP-21
Icom SP-21 Reviews: 29 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $140.00 (street $100.00)
Description: External speaker

You can write your own review of the Icom SP-21.

W8KMA Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2017 18:30 Send this review to a friend
Perfect for My Ears  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I guess it's all in the person listening. The first time I heard this speaker I knew I have to have another!! Now,I own three of these beauties hooked up to two IC746 rigs and one IC756. They all sound great!! I've had many Kenwood and Yaesu speakers and to my ears the Icom SP-21 really has a nice solid sound than the others I have tried. Never thought once of the need to modify them at all. ( and I have other brands ) I think it is a very well built speaker that makes the signals sound like they are right in the same room with you. And, all without a bunch of extra noise. Nice job Icom!!! They just sound REAL!!!

G4MJA Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2016 12:50 Send this review to a friend
Good speaker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was lucky enough to find an 'as new' SP-21 for sale a couple of weeks ago & bought it despite some of the 'tinny sounding' reviews & folks who have modified the speaker. Now it maybe my ageing ears that prefer more treble than bass these days but I like the audio that the speaker produces & I won't be modifying it. One reviewer said it was poorly made, I disagree, it's a well made speaker in a solid steel cabinet. It certainly performs well with my Icom IC-R8500 receiver. Nuff said!

N3HSH Rating: 2/5 Dec 12, 2013 15:16 Send this review to a friend
Poorly Made, Works OK Only After Modified  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is one of the most poorly made communications speakers I have ever owned. Within a short time of using it, the connection jack developed an intermittent short making the audio cut out so I resoldered that. A little later on, the connecting wire developed another short and I ended up splicing on another section of wire to fix it.

All you are getting with this speaker is a tiny 3 inch diameter paper speaker within a small plastic cabinet which in turn is housed within the long metal cabinet sized to match Icom's rigs. So all the air volume in the metal cabinet is going to waste which is why the speaker sounds so "tinny".

As several others commented, there is a definite improvement in overall frequency response, especially the bass, when the rock wool dampening material is removed from the small plastic speaker cabinet and five or so half-inch holes are drilled into the plastic cabinet back. I then fastened the dampening material to three sides of the metal cabinet. This greatly enhanced the frequency response and it sounds much less tinny now. Voices on SSB sound fuller and more realistic. I can pick out voices better now in pile-ups.

This is a similar design and follows the same theory as ported speaker cabinets. It increases the speaker efficiency and allows better reproduction of lower frequencies. Given the small size of the speaker, by "lower" frequencies I mean those that matter most to voice reproduction, not low compared to music reproduction.

I'm glad I bought this used as they are way overpriced for what you get. A better alternative is to buy a center channel speaker used for home theater systems. They are shielded and designed to give good response in the vocal range of frequencies.

As a musician, I have a rather critical ear and am pickier than most when it comes to what I'm hearing. As always, your mileage may vary, but these are my honest observations.

W4VR Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2013 16:19 Send this review to a friend
Great with the mods  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had the speaker in it's original carton stored away for 10 years because it was too high-pitched for my blood. I saw the posts regarding the mods. I drilled five 1/2-inch holes in the plastic speak backing and took out the insulation. What a difference. I wish I would have known about the mod a decade ago.

CR7000 Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2012 06:02 Send this review to a friend
Perfect  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use my SP-21 with my PRO III and it sounds excellent - Not sure about the hole mod, it sounds nice anyway, so i dont need to improve it

NT9E Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2011 09:46 Send this review to a friend
Do the mod!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the SP-21 since I bought my ProII back in the fall of '02. I tried it out for a few minutes and then packed it away in the box because the sound was less than thrilling. Last year after reading reviews of the SP-21 after the hole mod hole mod I decided to do the same mod to my SP-21. Talk about night and day! Room filling sound and very nice low end response. The speaker now shares a spot next to the PROII.

N3US Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2011 03:49 Send this review to a friend
Excellent after the Mod  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just for grins, I recently purchased a used SP-21 and the audio was tinny and most unpleasant. I then performed the "Hole" mod by drilling 5 pilot holes and then enlarged them to 1 inch using an inexpensive Harbor Freight step bit. I also removed the padding in the back of the plastic speaker enclosure. The results was amazing, especially since the speaker is small. It now produces audio superior to a SP-23 I briefly owned. The lack of passive filters in the SP-21 is not an issue for me. Thanks to all who suggested the "Hole Mod."

W4KVW Rating: 4/5 May 17, 2009 12:20 Send this review to a friend
OK for me!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use the SP-21 with my ICOM 746 PRO & it does just fine.It came with the rig when I purchased it(used)so I kept it because it had NO ISSUES & it looks NICE with the rig.I would NOT pay what ICOM gets for one NEW but that was not an issue for me.Sounds good but NOT as good as the SP-23 I used for about a year on my ICOM 756 PROII.I have NOT drilled any holes or made any modifications & I think I will keep it as is for my needs.Even at this price a headphone jack would have been a PLUS!

Clayton
W4KVW

KJ4AMH Rating: 2/5 Aug 20, 2008 09:23 Send this review to a friend
Drill the holes !  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Drill the holes discribed in the post two previous to this one. I drilled two large (1 1/8") in the rear panel of the smal plastic speaker box and the sound quality improved 1000% ! Do NOT use a twist drill as it will grab and pull the plastic panel out of your hands and maybe break it. I used a 1 1/8" hole saw, use a very slow speed. Remove the padding in the small speaker box as well it only makes the sound dull. These modifications make the sound from this speaker spectacular good for communications use. If you can find this speaker for a good price buy it and do the modifications, you'll be pleased with the results. I will do this modification for anyone that wants for free. Look up my email address in my profile and email me, I will email you my shipping address. You can then ship me your speaker or just the plastic panel and I will drill the holes for free. I will just request the return shipping.

VK2FTNY Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2008 02:36 Send this review to a friend
better than the Sp-23  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have been using this speaker for around 3yrs.I actually had this speaker before i bought the sp-23 and hence the 5 rating.This unit has the speaker that the sp-23 should have had,I use this speaker more than the sp-23 and the only thing missing is the filters like its more expensive brother.If i had my way again id have bought this speaker for my proiii and saved myself a couple of bucks.