Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Verticals; Wire; Loop | Solarcon I-MAX 2000 Help

Reviews Summary for Solarcon I-MAX 2000
Solarcon I-MAX 2000 Reviews: 104 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $80 SHIPPED
Description: 3 piece, over 21 foot tall fiberglass 10 meter base antenna

You can write your own review of the Solarcon I-MAX 2000.

KG4BFR Rating: 4/5 Mar 4, 2018 11:59 Send this review to a friend
Lightning Rod  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a fiberglass antenna with a copper wire running inside....and attracts lighting .....The Maco V58 Aluminum Ground Plane Antenna made in USA is a better Antenna and for about $100....I have a V58 in service 28 years....and parts are available if needed.
K5RWD Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2018 07:02 Send this review to a friend
Best Veritcal Easily  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna is hard (almost impossible) to beat. I have used may verticals but this hands down beats them all in most categories. It's light, easy to install, has the best gain factor your can get in a vertical, and is inexpensive. I see a few others on here giving it a bad review, which is just crazy. They must have had a botched install or live in a bad location. This antenna is DC grounded, so it's not really a lightning rod like some would think. Yes, it's in the air and is susceptible to lightning, however if you run an Alpha Delta or some other lightning protector to a 9 foot ground rod, that will draw the electrons away from the antenna and also helps keep it a bit quieter.

BTW..the Antron 99 is nowhere near the performance of this antenna at my location.
K8ZPO Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2017 13:06 Send this review to a friend
Good deal  Time owned: more than 12 months
For an inexpensive vertical you just can't beat it. Mine has been swinging like a cane pole in the wind with no ill effects for 12 years. I even have another new one in the box for when this one gives up the ghost.
KK4EYX Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2016 07:42 Send this review to a friend
Excellent 10m antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna for about 2 years now. Being new to Ham, I wanted to get onto 10m the easiest way possible. I ordered this (and the ground plane kit) and stuck it atop a 20' pole that is attached to the side of my house.

My install was a bit cumbersome with using the tuning ring, sticking the antenna up, and then checking it with an analyzer but after 5 or so tries, we got it flat on 28.500MHz.

Paired up to my TS-940, this is a GREAT 10m antenna. Flat 1.1SWR all over 10m, I can make Phone and PSK31 contacts all over the world on 10m. I can force it onto 12, and 15, and sometimes on 17 (albeit with a horrible SWR). I have managed ONE contact on 20m with it, but it was unbearable. But for 10m, I cannot recommend it enough.

The only negative is the hardware is not stainless steel on the ground plane kit and I will be taking it down for a multi-band antenna here shortly and all the screws are rusted. But I would buy this in a heartbeat again.

Also, living in Florida, it has been through 3 Hurricanes/Tropical Storms with sustained winds up to 60mph and it hasn't budged. It is flexible and will whip but after almost 3 years in the Florida sun, the fiberglass hasn't failed yet.
W1UFL Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2016 23:31 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had this for about 3 months. I consistently use it on 10-20 meters. Even on 20 meters it makes contacts easily, but requires an external tuner to bring the SWR's flat. It's certainly a compromise on 20 but it works. SWR's are ok without a tuner from 10-17. Mine is about 35' to the tip with no ground plane kit. I drive it with about 1kw out of an SB-1000. Can't say enough good about the IMAX. We'll see how long it holds up.
W2PSK Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2016 06:47 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna!   Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this antenna in 1999. It made it through 2 winters in a cold a blustery Newport, RI and have been used in several locations since. 17 years after purchasing it, it's still working great! With a tuner, I use this antenna from 10 - 17 meters. Most of what I use it for is digital mode and that is mostly DX.
KK4PIV Rating: 1/5 Dec 25, 2015 14:38 Send this review to a friend
average for a year??  Time owned: more than 12 months
I started Ham in 2013. I put up a 45 year old Antenna Specialists Super Magnum which my brother and I had used as teen agers. The antenna was great and performed great at 20 ft. I switched to the Imax 2000, had trouble with my local contacts, daily on 28.358 9pm eastern, at the same 20 ft. I moved the antenna up to 30 ft. to match the performance of the oldie. The antenna is broad-banded, I think that is it's claim to fame. The antenna failed in about a year, coil issue. I just purchased a Super Penetrator and wished I had at the beginning. I have friends that are satisfied with the antenna, one other had a failure. Will review the HPT-500(super penetrator) in the next week or so.
K6MTS Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2015 12:45 Send this review to a friend
Performs!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Love this antenna! I've have mine about 3 yrs and now use it primarily for 10m where it seems to excel. I do not use a choke or radial kit.

Also great for 11m and good for 12m, 15m 17m (I Use the Excellent NA4RR Hexbeam for directional 6-20m now).

The fiberglass gets a bit crusty over time (paint it if you want) but it is a tough, durable, low visual impact antenna. Great price too. 5 stars!
WD8BVL Rating: 3/5 May 16, 2014 19:19 Send this review to a friend
Use for 10 Meters  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the I-Max with the radials to use on a 31 Mhz land-mobile system. All of you guys talk of DX contacts. I know a guy who worked China using a 4 watt signal generator. A person can work DX using a coat hanger. So, that is no indication of antenna performance on ground-wave. The antenna for CB should be compared with a simular antenna for ground-wave operation. That way you can compaire both antennas. I have no refrence to compair the antenna. I was hopeing someone would make a ground-wave comparison in discussing this antenna. For example, how does it perform over a 1/4 wave ground plane; a 1/2 wave antenna and a coaxial-type antenna; all on ground wave. That way you are apt to less-vairing conditions. At any rate, I am needing to replace a 1/4 wave coaxial, which has a gain of zero when compaired to a 1/2 wave dipole, 3DBI over a 1/4 wave ground plane. I need to know if this I-Max 2000 antenna will worke better The coaxial. this is for ground-wave use. I have assembled the I-Max antenna using the MFJ antenna meter. It was perfect SWR on the CB frequencies. When tring to tune to 10 meters I was unable to get better than a 2.1 SWR reading. I cut several inches off the top whip which helped. But, then the impedance went from 50 ohm to 40 ohm. I wanted to use this to replace the business-band frequency of 31 Mhz and the SWR went higher. I again cut off several inches from the top whip, the SWE got much better but again the inpedance dropped to around 30 ohms. One will have to get in to the coil, reduce a turn or so, to make it properly tune 10 meters and higher. I am at a delema, do I replace the commercial fiberglass coaxial antenna which costs $450.00 dealer cost, $850.00, retail, with the coaxial or go with the gain I-Max antenna. Because of the top whip portion on the I-Max antenna whipping around in the wind, thus loosing the gain, I replaced this 8-foot section with a tapered 108" fiberglass CB whip, which they refuse to make anymore, and that resolved the whipping around effect and also looks much better. I quizzed the I-Max company why they don't use a tapered fiberglass for the top section and was told that their tappering fiberglass whip machine broke and didn't want to invest in the repair. The I-max factory indicates a higher gain over the high priced coaxial. The business band customer needs more gain and range. I am worried if the improper impediance on the I-Max would make much of a issue. What do you guys suggest that I should recommend to my customer here. The I-max, with the tapered top whip or the origional coaxial antenna? Thanks,
KO8L Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2014 09:05 Send this review to a friend
The antenns works well what more can I say.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hello I have had the I Max 2000 for only a few day's but will tell you the I Max 2000 work's very well. I have a G5RV and a S9 Vertical and a 80 Meter wire Vertical. On 10 meters, 11 meters, 12 meters and 15 meters the SWR is very good. Signal reports are on par with my other antenna's I have the antenna mounted on the roof with the antenna at 40 feet.I have worked stations all over Europe on 15 and 10 meters with 100 watts. I had too put the tuning rings almost all the way up too get good SWR on 10,11,12,15 meters. Here are my SWR reading's.
I think I'm going too have a lot of fun with this antenna. The antenna is well made and has a nice finish to it. I was going too paint it olive drab but never got around too it. For the price you can't really beat it, how long it will last I don't know because we get real strong wind's coming off of Lake Erie I'm on a big hill. I'll report back in a few month's and see if I feel the same way about the antenna.
73's Dale KO8L