Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Super Antennas MP-1 Portable Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Super Antennas MP-1 Portable Antenna
Super Antennas MP-1 Portable Antenna Reviews: 137 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $150.
Description: Covers 40 thru 6 Meters. Will cover 80 Meters with accesory coil MP-80. Capable of QRP thru 150 Watts. Coil Size 10.5x 1.25 inches.
More info: http://newsuperantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the Super Antennas MP-1 Portable Antenna.

TA2AWT Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2014 09:41 Send this review to a friend
It is a superb antenna for field day  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got MP1 Superantenna. Many times I tried it at Field Day Organizations in Istanbul. Of course we tried many types of antennas. Dipole, Long wire, Whip etc. But i got best result by only MP1 Super antenna. I made experience it with FT 857. You know FT 857 is made for unbalanced type anteenas. ( from manual :D ) Tested in range of 14 MHZ, 18 Mhz, 28 MHz. I have to say really superantenna is super.

DF1HX Rating: 4/5 May 24, 2014 09:34 Send this review to a friend
Great QRP antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am very pleased with the MP-1, i am using the "classic" version with the black cap over the coil.
I attach the antenna with the clamp supplied by the manufacturer to my metal balcony reeling what is an excellent counterpoise. The height is about 12m (abt. 39 ft.) I do not have a permanent installation, i set up when i want to operate, takes me about half an hour in total (up and down).
I operate on 10 - 40m, incl. WARC, with the MP-1 and my KX3, maximum power is 5 watts. All i can hear, i can work even breaking pileups works...well not every time.
My favorite mode is CW, however sometimes i do local ragchew via 10m relay DF0HHH, about 15 km from my QTH.
I am really pleased with this antenna, potential buyers should be aware that is is no "miracle antenna" but a classic GP requiring counterpoise(s)

5B4AHO Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2014 00:15 Send this review to a friend
Impressed!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am currently building a Elecraft K1 to do some portable QRP CW, something new to me! I have just purchased an MP-1 antenna secondhand, and after suggestions from a friend,added a 9' Roadking whip to it. I was not holding out much hope of success with this small antenna, but thought would give it a try. My friend (5B4AJG) and I set up his FT817 in my rear garden, added the MR4020 (also have the MR1710 set) radial set to the MP-1, which I must say were easy to deploy and retrieve tangle free. Tuned the antenna quite easily with the help of my analyser and tuned around 15 mtrs, luckily the New England QSO party was happening so a lot of US stations were flooding in! I gave a call and to my amazement got a reply back on my first CW call, tuned again to another US station, again straight in! Then went to 20 mtrs and answered an Italian station calling CQ, again my first call was answered! Well I thought things were looking good for me doing QRP portable with 5 watts with my newly acquired MP-1, the big surprise came when my friend showed me the display on his FT817, it was not putting out the 5w I thought, but was setup for only 1w. I was over the moon to have had 2 US and 1 Italian contact without any effort from my garden in Cyprus. Looking forward to getting out QRP portable in the near future!!

AB1QX Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2014 15:10 Send this review to a friend
surprisingly good  Time owned: more than 12 months
My portable station typically consists of this antenna working against a park bench frame (and radials for 80-60-40). With my ft817 I get very good signal reports DX and domestic---some question my QRP status! I've gotten used to tuning it by simply counting the number of exposed coil turns for a very fast no-tuner tune up. I try to be careful with it and haven't noticed any of the mechanical problems some reviewers mention. A very nice light, effective,and small package. Highly recommended.

M0ITI Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2014 13:54 Send this review to a friend
Surprisingly Very Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this antenna for portable use, but find myself using it regularly as my vertical co linear is u/s at the moment.

This little antenna packs a great punch. From my QTH at IO91sp I have had SSB and data QSO's to Vancouver, Buenos Aires, Rio De Janeiro, and Eastwards into Asiatic Russia. Pretty impressive for this unobtrusive little antenna that is XYL friendly.

Although the instructions come with a template to tune the antenna to your desired band, I would always recommend using an antenna analyser to get best results.

I agree with some comments that the construction should be more robust. I'll just make sure I treat it carefully.

Worth every penny!

KC8YEC Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2013 11:55 Send this review to a friend
Impressive Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this at Dayton 2012. I was testing it out in different configurations: ground mounted, tripod, vehicle mag mount, permanent mount... I spaced that the antenna was on my vehicle and pulled it into the garage with the whip up. So I have now replaced the whip. ANYWAY... I really put it to the test this year at FD. We put up a 10 x 20 tent and I was running my FT100 conected to a buddy's vertical on a 30' tower. After running through a tuner we finally got a match on 20m. We worked for some time and finally made a contact. We could hear 'em but not work 'em. Frusterated after trying for a while, I was going to put up my inverted "V". I decided to try this first. I clamped it to one of the aluminum tent poles with a jaws type mount. On 20M I nailed the next 5 calls on the first try. I was able to get a 1.2:1 match across the band. I got great signal reports and impressed the other operators at our FD location. The tent frame consisted of 6 legs and a 10x20' framed roof. I used no radials and it worked flawlessly. Later on we switched it to 40m with the same results. We did work some VE stations as far as DX goes. Testing it at home in MI prior to FD I worked Washington and S. Dakota on 20M as well. Like I said, I did replace the whip, and the one I purchased was from Buddipole. I'll be interested in trying some DX but am very impressed and would recommend this antenna to anyone.

W0DV Rating: 3/5 Jun 24, 2013 15:09 Send this review to a friend
OK for portable use, but can use improvement.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned the MP1 Super Antenna for about a year. Have used it in many locations...my back yard, camp sites, and various remote locations..in the clear, in the forest, on top of hills, and in my boat.

Pro's :

1. Very portable, breaks down into a small box.
2. Very easy to assemble (60 seconds).
3. Will get you some DX contacts when propagation is favorable. I made many DX contacts into Europe from a campsite in a Minnesota park, Icom 7200, 100 watts, and using a deep cycle battery for power.

Con's:

1. Very cheap whip. Very light construction, similar to what you would see on a cheap am/fm radio purchased at Walmart.

2. Radials are inadequate. I spent hours experimenting with the provided radials, and making my own. 40 meters is a difficult band for the antenna with the provided radials. I could not get better than a 3:1 SWR no matter where I had the antenna setup. SWR came down when I added a 33' radial. While tuning the antenna, an antenna tuner sure comes in handy.

3. The way the antenna is advertised is a stretch.."no antenna analyzer needed". I sent an email to Super Antenna with concerns about tuning the antenna for 40 meters. Here is the reply I got...
"The stock MR1C counterpoise is shorter length due to being engineered for best portability, but it is a compromise on 40 meters.
The stock counterpoise works best on 40 meters when it is ground coupled (laying on the ground), and the antenna is mounted near ground level.
On 40m, the SWR is somewhat dependent upon coaxial cable length and ground conductivity.
Your application of 4 tuned radials for 40 meters will be good, but really, only 1 or 2 radials is enough to provide good SWR.
There is a big advantage in both SWR and performance on 40 meters when using an elevated mount and elevated tuned radials.
We do offer the pre-tuned radials. The MR4020 SuperWire Stealth Teflon Radial Set is recommended".

So as you can see, they want to sell me another radials set for use on 40 meters.

4. Shipping charges. The supplies whip split when the antenna fell over from the wind (my fault).
I ordered a new whip and was charged $12.25 for shipping and handling. The actual shipping cost for the whip was $5.95. I was charged $6.30 for them to place this small whip in a bag, and mail it.

Lastly, I gave this antenna a "3" because I like it's portability, and it will work OK for 20 and up with the radials supplied.

KJ4NWZ Rating: 4/5 Jun 19, 2013 08:37 Send this review to a friend
Good Bang for the Buck  Time owned: more than 12 months
I originally wanted an MP1 but when I called the company it was tied up in litigation so I bought the Buddistick instead.

The Buddistick is okay but the tap and counterpoise calibration system is a problem for me. When the MP1 became available I bought one immediately.

I noticed, out of the box, that the MP1 whip was too short and that the radials were just as inadequate. So I created an MP1-Buddistick hybrid antenna by combining parts from each antenna. On top I use the 66" Buddistick whip and an 11" Buddistick arm. To my delight I discovered that the threading for both antennas are compatible so beneath the Buddistick arm I screwed in the MP1 coil. Beneath the MP1 coil I screw in a 12" MP1 arm and that is screwed into the Buddistick mounting bracket. A 50" PVC mast beneath the mounting bracket lifts the antenna to 13' and the 33' Buddistick counterpoise completes the antenna system.

With this new hybrid MP1-Buddistick antenna I worked a station from Kuwait City from my QTH in FL, USA for a distance of over 7,200 miles with 100 watts with my Yaesu FT-857D. Nice.

The MP1 is a good antenna that can be upgraded to GREAT once you ditch the whip and counterpoise wires for longer ones.

K1EHZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2013 10:04 Send this review to a friend
Works well for its size  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
In recent years I have tried about a dozen resonant (no tuner) and non-resonant (tuner required) antennas for portable operation on 10m to 20m at power ranging from 5 to 100 watts: random wires, dipoles, folded dipoles, PAC-12, MFJ 16' whip with radials, homebrew trapped 10-15-20m EFHW, PAR 20m EFHW, and MP-1. All produced SSB QSOs between the US and Europe, with 1000 miles/watt common under favorable propagation.

Each antenna represents compromises between convenient deployment, transportability, and receive and transmit efficiency. For me, the MP-1 wins on convenient deployment and transportability, with the MFJ 16' whip a close second. The homebrew 10-15-20m EFHW is my top all-around choice when I can take along the 31' Jackite pole.

Working portable on Puget Sound in April 2013, I compared the MP-1 to the homebrew 10-15-20m trapped EFHW on a 31' Jackite pole. Both antennas were mounted on a bulkhead at the shore within 25' of the transceiver. The MP-1 was configured with the stock 10-12-15-17m radial set (4 radials of different lengths), small tripod, and 50' of RG-8X. No tuner was involved for either antenna, and there was a 1:1 choke balun at the transceiver. The MP-1 coil was adjusted for low SWR (~1:1.5) using the MP-1 directions and the ICOM 7200 SWR meter. Only slight fine adjustment was needed after measuring the coil position for 15m with the diagram provided.

A station in the Canary Islands (5482 miles away) was quite strong, so I gave a call using 100 watts and the MP-1. My signal report from him was 33 and his report was 57 from me. I moved the coax to the EFHW and had a second QSO with the same station. My report from him ranged from 44 to 56 in QSB, and his was 59 from me. The two QSOs were 8 minutes apart.

Although less than a perfect test, it was a very practical comparison. It is not surprising that the MP-1 produced lower signal reports than a half-wave antenna almost 3x taller. However, the MP-1 worked and did not require a 31' fiberglass pole. It also covers many more bands with additional radials.

The MP-1 definitely has a place in my travel kit. Construction is excellent, and I have found the service to be responsive.

W5NNN Rating: 4/5 Apr 20, 2013 17:43 Send this review to a friend
Nice, but not my favorite  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received it quickly. And it works. But, I've discovered that I prefer my yoyotenna (hamradiofun.com) as my portable setup. Why?

- I found it impossible to use without an antenna analyzer. OK perhaps not "impossible" but merely "quite impractical".
- The MP1 comes with some wire for use as a radial, but as others stated in their reviews, the provided is hopelessly insufficient. I measured the three lengths and guess they are intended for 10,15, and 20 meters. But to really use the antenna at all I found I needed three radials, not one. That bears repeating. Measure, cut, and then carry three big wires with this antenna for each chosen band, one is useless, and two are marginal.
- Setting it all up, untangling and spreading out the three radials took longer than I expected. Longer than setting up my other mobile antennas.
- All the "stuff" is bigger and a lot heavier than the yoyotenna. When hiking, I'll go for the yoyo.

I guess the MP-1 still has a place for me. There are not always trees available, and then something like this is the way to go. But I don't think it will often be my first choice.