Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Super Antennas MP-1 Portable Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Super Antennas MP-1 Portable Antenna
Super Antennas MP-1 Portable Antenna Reviews: 151 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $150.
Description: Covers 40 thru 6 Meters. Will cover 80 Meters with accesory coil MP-80. Capable of QRP thru 150 Watts. Coil Size 10.5x 1.25 inches.
More info: http://newsuperantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the Super Antennas MP-1 Portable Antenna.

WA2ZQX Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2017 13:54 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: more than 12 months

Have worked 63-DX entities with the MP1 Antenna in the past 15 months, which I am thrilled about considering current band conditions. My QTH is a few feet above sea level, sandy soil, high winds and adjacent to water. Operate with 22-ground radials and a good antenna tuner...40 through 6-meters. Transmit power 100 or 300 watts. Piece of cake to transport and set up. Yes, tuning is critical but it doesn't take long to get the hang of it...provided you own an SWR meter! I would recommend the titanium whip...less wind resistance. At home QTH I elevate the antenna base 6-feet above ground on a tripod and adjustable mast, weighted with bricks. No mechanical issues except I used ring terminals and stainless hardware to affix my radials...didn't care for their quick disconnect connectors and finger lugs on the base...couldn't connect all my radials! Own two MP1's and would like to see Super Antenna produce a similar product that could handle 1-KW.

KG5QHX Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2017 15:43 Send this review to a friend
My Super Antenna works OK  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have to say that my Super Antenna MP-1 works fine for my purposes. I use it as a quick setup out in the field antenna. I was quite surprised i that it let me contact others over a 1,000 miles away OK. I used it on 40 meters through 20 meters this last weekend for the "Texas Radio in the Park" event and it worked well. I also found that the antenna stayed upright fairly well in the wind too. It only had a problem when the wind gusts were over 30-35mph and then it would get knocked over. But it helps to arrange the legs to give better support with the wind direction, otherwise it could tip over more easily. The thin titanium whip tended to flop around a lot with the wind though. But the regular extendable antenna handled the wind better in this case.

VE3IPS Rating: 3/5 Mar 3, 2017 07:08 Send this review to a friend
Ok but understand limitations  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the older version at a hamfest and the build quality was very poor - garage made. Its just a short antenna and tends to work better on 20m to 10m. For QRP (like all short antennas) the efficiency is low and a simple vertical or dipole will get more signal out. I found it worked better with 20W running the FT-897D (battery mode. I sold it as my home brew Pac-12 and commercial Buddistick worked better with the longer antenna length in its design. Again, I bought a more current version at the hamfest and the build quality is a lot better and they seem to be working hard to create a better product (adding a MC-60 coil and Titanium whip are great innovations). However a short antenna is still a short antenna and will be a worse performer against the reference vertical antenna. This antenna with the titanium whip would be the ideal choice for man-pack operations as no other options are functionality available and in this use case works best for this design. Picnic table operators will find the PackTenna or just a simple fishing pole and a quarter wave of wire and a counterpoise will work better and be more efficient running 5 watts. I also had good results with this antenna when running 50watts in the go-box and set up takes 2 minutes. The extra power will make up for the inefficiency of the short antenna (mobile antenna). However, the ability to use this on a studry tripod, table clamp (worth buying for any mobile antenna), mobile bracket, magnet mount or even mix and match with the Buddipole components or Hustler. The carry case is a great item as well. So as long as you understand that short antennas can be inefficient and a poor choice and may be the only deployment choice for your radio operation then you will be happy with the SuperAntenna system but if you expect to connect this to your FT-817 or KX3/2 and make easy contacts (especially during a down solar cycle) you will be very disappointed. I would be very curios to see how their new 2m antenna module works because they are thinking in the right direction. maybe they will look at a beefier version of the YP-3 yagi

K4ECD Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2016 19:19 Send this review to a friend
Pratical, compact long lasting  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had this now for 4 years with weekend use in various spots on the East Coast, and occasionally the Caribbean. Product has a simple no-frill design that IMHO makes it the better option over competitors. SWR is very good on all bands under 20, but the adjustments are very very sensitive.

Cut radials to your band! spread them out at least 6-8 feet apart at the ends (if possible).

It is my go to antenna for portable work.

W4PER Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2016 09:28 Send this review to a friend
Great Stealth Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Fits my needs very well. I am in a condo with severe restrictions on exterior antennas. I was able to mount this antenna on a piling along side my dock. It works great and isn't offensive to look at. I doubt if I will get any complaints. I just wish it was remotely tunable. This past few days a tropical storm came thru with winds exceeding 65 mph, no damage to antenna. It will work for me.

Bob W4PER

KB3ZID Rating: 4/5 Jul 15, 2016 07:36 Send this review to a friend
needs some refinement  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Overall good --needs some tweaking/improvement by Mfr. Easy to set up,tunes easily and is very versatile.
As with anything when you are threading aluminium to aluminium use some anti seize to prevent threads locking and making dis-assembly impossible
I reccomend you pre-assemble and anti seize (lightly) the mount threads. One of my tripod legs seized and broke off flush with the hub rendering it useless--the manufacturer offers no spare individual parts (??!!) forcing me to buy a whole new tripod mount. Like the bag better than Alpha's bag much better fitted. Alpha's bag is tough to get everything into and close.
Super Antennas bag allows a fitted compartment for each part and room for tools (for both I have a dedicated wrench and Allen wrench --without which you cannot make changes to mounts) and Coax. BOTH need a better user guide at least Alpha has better online info and will answer questions and respond --Super seems to lack in this area.
Once setup and tuned the SA MP-1 works fantastic no issues there. I was set up and working DX in Europe/middle east in no-time.

W2KS Rating: 0/5 Apr 5, 2016 17:56 Send this review to a friend
Garbage  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Don't waste your money. Pure CRAP!!! I ordered the MP1DXTR80 SuperWhip Ruggedized Tripod Antenna 80 meters antenna with Go Bag from Amazon. I also ordered their TM3 Superpod. The tripod kept falling over in a dead calm, and couldn't support the weight of the assembled antenna. Its locking mechanisms to keep the tripod up kept slipping. The telescopic antenna was bent, the threading on the antenna was barely enough to be held by the super mount, and the radials were cheap and separating from their connectors. Forget about tuning the damn thing! I bought the main package mentioned above from Amazon, so there was no problem with the return. However, trying to get reimbursed for the tripod was a different story. Let me first say that the tripod cost about $79.00, but the shipping cost from Ca to NY was over $35.00. When I sent the antenna back to Ca. the same way, the cost was only $15. It finally took a complaint to paypal to get my $115 dollars back. OK, yes, I'm a New Yorker, and may sound like a pain in the ass, but really, save your money. Buy an Alpha Antenna if you plan on going portable. It's a great antenna, and Steve is a really good guy who stands by his product....and he'll call you back!!!

K2FI Rating: 4/5 Mar 2, 2016 17:43 Send this review to a friend
Good for portable operations  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had the MP1 for a few months now and I like it a lot. If there was an option, I'd give it a 4.5 out of 5. I operate QRP, strictly portable and almost always outdoors, so a lightweight HF antenna is a good thing.

The MP1 is good, but not perfect. As with any portable system, you're going to compromise. It will never equal a big beam on a tower. It'll probably never equal a resonant dipole. But for going out and about, it's pretty good and you don't need any trees to string wires to.

The good: Setup is easy. I'm usually on the air within 5 minutes. No tuner necessary; the coil slides up and down to allow you to tune the antenna to resonance (or near-resonance) at from 10m to 40m. There's a plastic guide ruler that comes with the MP1 to give you rough settings, but you'll want to adjust it further. I do this by ear, and I'm usually close to 1:1 SWR on 10 and 20, and usually under 3:1 on 40. Using a counterpoise is essential. I'm just using the stock 10/15/20/40 set that came with the antenna, but you can easily tune your own set. Performance is quite decent even at the QRP levels I run. I've had some very nice DX with 59 reports, and even some QSOs when the MP1 was set up inside the house. The size and weight are great. It's lightweight, compact, easily fits in a suitcase or small daypack.

The not-so-good: The small tripod is useless in anything more than a stiff breeze. It'll tip right over if you look at it crosseyed. You'll either want small sandbags to weigh it down or some stakes if the ground is soft enough. (I keep stakes in the go bag that comes with the antenna because I'm more likely to be hiking with it). The MP1 is low to the ground, so terrain really matters a lot. And tuning to resonance on 40m isn't as good as it perhaps could be (but this seems to be common with a small vertical).

This will probably never be your main HF antenna unless you're like me and only operate portable (for values of "portable" that include "out in back of the house"), but as a travel, hiking, or camping antenna I'm very pleased with it.

K7EXJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2016 19:42 Send this review to a friend
Terrific Go-Box Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna through Amazon along with the base/clamp and the 40/30/20 radials. Arrival was quick and I was surprised at just how small this antenna disassembles to. I have a K1/4-band and wanted an antenna that would be quick and versatile. We live in a desert area and trees can be hard to find and the purpose of the antenna is portable operation. It fits easily into a $9.50 Walmart insulated lunch bag (along with the K1, radials, RG8x coax, batteries, paddle, headphones, tuning helper and notepad/pencils). First field trip was quick to set up (clamped to the bumper of my Jeep) and 40M contact (always hard for a small vertical) 300 miles away at 3pm on a Sunday was 599 on my 5-watt signal. I like it a lot!

KF5YFD Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2015 22:40 Send this review to a friend
Great system as always!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recently got the latest version with all of the accessories from SuperAntenna including the new super titanium whip and large tripod s well as the optional coils and counterpose's. I previously had one of the older Vern era models. System is rugged, tunes up quick, and is easy to set up. I recommend this set up for any one looking for a quick to deploy but flexible system.