Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Super Antennas MP-1 Portable Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Super Antennas MP-1 Portable Antenna
Super Antennas MP-1 Portable Antenna Reviews: 140 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $150.
Description: Covers 40 thru 6 Meters. Will cover 80 Meters with accesory coil MP-80. Capable of QRP thru 150 Watts. Coil Size 10.5x 1.25 inches.
More info: http://newsuperantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the Super Antennas MP-1 Portable Antenna.

KJ4NWZ Rating: 4/5 Jun 19, 2013 08:37 Send this review to a friend
Good Bang for the Buck  Time owned: more than 12 months
I originally wanted an MP1 but when I called the company it was tied up in litigation so I bought the Buddistick instead.

The Buddistick is okay but the tap and counterpoise calibration system is a problem for me. When the MP1 became available I bought one immediately.

I noticed, out of the box, that the MP1 whip was too short and that the radials were just as inadequate. So I created an MP1-Buddistick hybrid antenna by combining parts from each antenna. On top I use the 66" Buddistick whip and an 11" Buddistick arm. To my delight I discovered that the threading for both antennas are compatible so beneath the Buddistick arm I screwed in the MP1 coil. Beneath the MP1 coil I screw in a 12" MP1 arm and that is screwed into the Buddistick mounting bracket. A 50" PVC mast beneath the mounting bracket lifts the antenna to 13' and the 33' Buddistick counterpoise completes the antenna system.

With this new hybrid MP1-Buddistick antenna I worked a station from Kuwait City from my QTH in FL, USA for a distance of over 7,200 miles with 100 watts with my Yaesu FT-857D. Nice.

The MP1 is a good antenna that can be upgraded to GREAT once you ditch the whip and counterpoise wires for longer ones.

K1EHZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2013 10:04 Send this review to a friend
Works well for its size  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
In recent years I have tried about a dozen resonant (no tuner) and non-resonant (tuner required) antennas for portable operation on 10m to 20m at power ranging from 5 to 100 watts: random wires, dipoles, folded dipoles, PAC-12, MFJ 16' whip with radials, homebrew trapped 10-15-20m EFHW, PAR 20m EFHW, and MP-1. All produced SSB QSOs between the US and Europe, with 1000 miles/watt common under favorable propagation.

Each antenna represents compromises between convenient deployment, transportability, and receive and transmit efficiency. For me, the MP-1 wins on convenient deployment and transportability, with the MFJ 16' whip a close second. The homebrew 10-15-20m EFHW is my top all-around choice when I can take along the 31' Jackite pole.

Working portable on Puget Sound in April 2013, I compared the MP-1 to the homebrew 10-15-20m trapped EFHW on a 31' Jackite pole. Both antennas were mounted on a bulkhead at the shore within 25' of the transceiver. The MP-1 was configured with the stock 10-12-15-17m radial set (4 radials of different lengths), small tripod, and 50' of RG-8X. No tuner was involved for either antenna, and there was a 1:1 choke balun at the transceiver. The MP-1 coil was adjusted for low SWR (~1:1.5) using the MP-1 directions and the ICOM 7200 SWR meter. Only slight fine adjustment was needed after measuring the coil position for 15m with the diagram provided.

A station in the Canary Islands (5482 miles away) was quite strong, so I gave a call using 100 watts and the MP-1. My signal report from him was 33 and his report was 57 from me. I moved the coax to the EFHW and had a second QSO with the same station. My report from him ranged from 44 to 56 in QSB, and his was 59 from me. The two QSOs were 8 minutes apart.

Although less than a perfect test, it was a very practical comparison. It is not surprising that the MP-1 produced lower signal reports than a half-wave antenna almost 3x taller. However, the MP-1 worked and did not require a 31' fiberglass pole. It also covers many more bands with additional radials.

The MP-1 definitely has a place in my travel kit. Construction is excellent, and I have found the service to be responsive.

W5NNN Rating: 4/5 Apr 20, 2013 17:43 Send this review to a friend
Nice, but not my favorite  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received it quickly. And it works. But, I've discovered that I prefer my yoyotenna (hamradiofun.com) as my portable setup. Why?

- I found it impossible to use without an antenna analyzer. OK perhaps not "impossible" but merely "quite impractical".
- The MP1 comes with some wire for use as a radial, but as others stated in their reviews, the provided is hopelessly insufficient. I measured the three lengths and guess they are intended for 10,15, and 20 meters. But to really use the antenna at all I found I needed three radials, not one. That bears repeating. Measure, cut, and then carry three big wires with this antenna for each chosen band, one is useless, and two are marginal.
- Setting it all up, untangling and spreading out the three radials took longer than I expected. Longer than setting up my other mobile antennas.
- All the "stuff" is bigger and a lot heavier than the yoyotenna. When hiking, I'll go for the yoyo.

I guess the MP-1 still has a place for me. There are not always trees available, and then something like this is the way to go. But I don't think it will often be my first choice.

K5OX Rating: 3/5 Apr 7, 2013 00:11 Send this review to a friend
A portable non waterproof easily mounted antenna.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The super antenna may be for sale for the long term, but I placed an order for everything including all accessories.

I heard nothing for several days and my inquiries went unanswered. When starting the cancellation process my impatience was noted as the biggest problem by the seller, Vern Wright.

I have yet to find a stocking distributor of accessories but I still will keep the antenna as it appears well made and easily modified (for indoor use as it uses standard thread sizes.)

But I feel that I have bought an orphaned antenna and should have all expenses refunded if I so desire.

When I bought from HRO they did have one version in stock and no accessories. I bought and ordered a few accessories from another dealer and they show still back ordered.

It would be nice to know the status of this antenna. It is useful but I don't think it would work good in the rain but I am looking for an efficient antenna to use inside.

Any info would be helpful. I heard that Vern has been ill. If that is the case I wish him well but it is wrong to operate a "pretend" business.

Frank

M0JFK Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2013 17:18 Send this review to a friend
Superstick MP1  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It works and it works real good. I could give you all sort of guff on it but why. Your here to know if it works and YES IT DOES. Buy it I can assure you it will be money well spent.

Pro's Tunes Easy without the need for a ATU.

Con's NONE

KJ1H Rating: 4/5 Mar 3, 2013 17:02 Send this review to a friend
Good bang for the buck  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As I write this, I've had my MP-1 for precisely one day. I've had poor luck getting an HF mobile station to work, and I'd been considering a Buddistick to try HF portable instead - park the car, throw up an antenna, and get on the air. Then saw the MP-1 during HRO's sale yesterday, and got it for half the price of the Buddistick. When I got home I set it up, clamped it to my car's trailer hitch (NOT for mobile use, just to clamp it somewhere!) and failed to make any contacts whatsoever on several bands.

By chance I had a friendly chat with AB1MI last night, who has been using this antenna extensively and gave me some hints. Today I used some speaker wire to make a much longer ground wire than the MP-1 comes with. I set it up again, connected my new ground, tuned for 17 meters, and soon worked HK4CZE in Columbia. Later I tuned it for 30 meters and had a nice chat with N0NWO in Minnesota.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the antenna. I give it a 4 rather than a 5 because it comes with everything you need except an adequate ground system. But all of the other components are good quality, and after making my own ground it's working great, even with the short telescoping whip it comes with. I intend to build a stand for it so I can give it a little elevation and move it away from the car, and pick up a longer whip at some point to improve its performance even further. But it's working fine right now, and I'm looking forward to getting back on HF regularly.

K1EHZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2013 18:26 Send this review to a friend
Very Impressed!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Portable antennas are always compromises of some sort, and I enjoy trying new approaches to find the optimum among convenience, cost, portability, and effectiveness. I have a PAC-12, other vertical whips, and a variety of portable wire dipoles and end-fed half waves. After reading reviews here, I recently bought an MP-1. This past weekend I set it up in a second floor bedroom and connected it to an FT-817. After adjusting the coil and laying out the radials on the floor, I tuned around 20m to see what was up. I live in New Hampshire, and I heard a station in England calling CQ with pretty good signal strength. I answered and he came right back to me. We had a nice QSO, both of us being impressed with the QRP signal from the FT-817 and MP-1. Today I visited family in Salem, MA, and brought the portable rig along. The MP-1 went in a 3rd floor attic. Worked stations in IL, MO and VA. Of course, propagation is most important, but this antenna does a nice job. It is definitely a great blend of convenience, cost, portability, and effectiveness.

K7FF Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2013 12:24 Send this review to a friend
Extreme versatility & quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used the original SuperAntennas in my mobile SuperAntenna array and in a portable array configuration on my 2nd story apartment balcony for several years with great success.

I recently bought eight new replacement NewSuperAntenna SuperSliders for the two arrays. My arrays are designed to use different accessory components so I just buy and use the SuperSliders.

I installed four of the SuperSliders on the mobile array mounted above the side rails of my '05 Dodge Dakota Pickup, which took about fifteen minutes. I had made a slight 'addition' to the SuperSliders making for nearly effortless band changes without using my MFJ-259B after the initial setup.

Instant success!

I am on the cusp of making my mobile/portable antenna system design public, including the tripod assembly. I have found nothing that compares to the NewSuperAntenna Supersliders, so I will suggest they be used in building the arrays.

W1KFR Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2012 13:05 Send this review to a friend
WOW!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got this antenna delivered to me today and took it out of the box,mounted it to a tripod that I already had. I measured the unit to use it on 40 meters connected the radials and called CQ and a guy from Bradenton, FL came right back to me. It took me a whole 5 minutes to get it set up. I have it in my front yard and it is totally portable. I know I need a better antenna system but I have a small lot and have to be careful about what I put up for antennas. For what I need this will serve the purpose. My intention is to use this antenna portable in those situations I need to set up remote with the TS-480 in the field. I am glad I have this unit and will be playing with it the rest of the night on 40 meters.

WA7NDD Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2012 09:52 Send this review to a friend
Solved my mobility issues!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Several years ago, at Sea Pac Vern and I had rooms next to each other. I offered him a ride back to our hotel and he invited me in to see the MP1. He had an FT 817 on the table, and an MP1 Supper Antenna clamped to the rail of hotel balcony. He had worked Japan on CW, and was talking about retiring from his dental practice. In those days, I was still working and had my health and thought little of the MP1 clamped to the balcony, and less about QRP, I was polite.
I retired, ended up with mobility health issues, and found the Buddipole system I had worked well, but required more fiddling then I could do, and sold it. With more health issues, I found myself trapped in a chair for ten weeks. I bought a Miracle Whip for my FT 817, yes I finally got the bug, for receive only so I could sit and listen to a modicum of ham radio in my chair, it was terrible. I bought an MP1 Supper Antenna and it was just what I needed. It sat on the floor with a short tripod, radials stretched along the wall, and worked well. I have used the antenna outside and have been impressed, with 5 watts and the original radials, I just peak the receiver noise by sliding the coil, mounted on a camera tripod, and hit the Z817 antenna tuner button, and itís ready. Iíve had no DX, but I also have had no trouble in working the states surrounding Idaho. I still have mobility issues and this is the perfect antenna for my outings. Soon there will be an article on Eham.net that I penned, called ďThe Old Man Go BoxĒ built around the uses of the MP1 Supper Antenna, both have made it possible for me to enjoy QRP outings.
Jim, WA7NDD