Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | March Magnetic Paddle R3a Help

Reviews Summary for March Magnetic Paddle R3a
March Magnetic Paddle R3a Reviews: 77 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $250. and up
Description: Handmade Brass Paddle with Excellent "Feel"
More info: http://sites.google.com/site/marchmagneticpaddles/

You can write your own review of the March Magnetic Paddle R3a.

W1FOX Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2015 13:17 Send this review to a friend
Get one while you can.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of Mike's paddles (#29) back in the mid 90's. I am proud of the purchase for two reasons; it is a handcrafted key of superior quality, and it is supportive of a fellow ham that lives in my former area.

I ran into Mike at a hamfest this summer in Berryville Virginia (2015) and mentioned that it might be time for an overhaul. He was excited to get his hands on one of his early babies.

Smooth operation and ease of tweaking I can't say enough great things of this exceptional workmanship.

WB3EBN Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2015 19:19 Send this review to a friend
CW Masterpiece  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased an R3a directly from Mr. March over the summer of 2015. The quality workmanship, fit & finish, adjustability and feel completed by Mike's name imprinted on this key are indeed the hallmark of this quality product. Pleased to have this key at my operating table.

NN4E Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2015 17:03 Send this review to a friend
I really like the feel  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had many paddles, UR5CDX, several Begali, Vibroplex among these and I really like the feel of the R3A. I bought it used and it has rosewood finger pieces which just have a nice feel and this has nice action. I don't send real fast, less that 25WPM but at this time it is the only paddle on my desk and I have no plans to ever let it go.

GU4CHY Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2015 06:15 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful feel and looks  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have a small collection of top-end paddles which all get used on the air as the mood takes me. I bought the March R3A serial number 0461 which was made in 2014. It came with an engraved base which turns it into a work of art.
The R3A has immediately jumped into my top three all-time favourite paddles - along with the N2DAN original and M0AGA Chevron.
It has a unique feel - quite soft but positive. It doesn't feel like metal is touching metal, the feel is much more silky than that.
I normally use my paddles with a very narrow gap - just breathe on the finger pieces to send CW! However, I found that the March is best with a slightly larger gap than I normally use.
Mike March is a pleasure to deal with. Highly recommended - I will not be selling mine!

WA4FOM Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2014 10:00 Send this review to a friend
Never give up. Never surrender.  Time owned: more than 12 months

I bought a set of these from Mike a number of years ago and,
as luck would have it, SuperStorm Sandy decided to belch a
tide of toxic sludge all over some very valuable equipment I
had in storage. Guess what paddles got marinated in said
toxic sludge? No, the hurricane insurance paid for nothing,
because it didn't cover toxic sludge inundation. Needless to
say, brass + toxic sludge = Green Fuzz that destroys pretty
things.

But I digress. Now that my blood pressure has lowered and
my bank balance raised, I finally ordered a new set (actually
two sets) of paddles from Mike. They were as beautiful as I
remembered. Their mass alone makes them suitable for both
heavy-handed CW use as well as home defense. The adjustments
are straightforward; Mike even sends you an Allen wrench for
the more detailed tweaks.

Another plus point to these paddles (at least for me) is that
these do not exhibit the typical "stickiness" I have experienced
with many other magnetic paddles. These have a smoothness that
you usually only experience with spring-based tension.

And let's not forget that visceral "beautiful as melted butter"
look that only finely machined brass can present to the loving
eye of the CW op. You'll want to keep these shined up all nice
and pretty under bright lights for all to see.

Ooh. Ahh. Buy a set because they're pretty. Use them for those
all night CW ragchews (or contests) because they feel great.

KC4URI Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2014 06:50 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful  Time owned: more than 12 months
First, let me say I have only been a ham for twenty five years.
Second, I am 99 44/100th % CW.
Third, Mike March builds and stands behind one of the finest keys on the planet.
73 KC4URI
I have owned my March key for over 12 years.

KA5SGE Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2014 07:45 Send this review to a friend
SUPERIOR SERVICE  Time owned: more than 12 months
Received my March paddles as a gift from an old friend and fell in love with them. Work 100% CW but after a couple of years started having problems with adjustments. Contacted Mike and he advised that he should make some modifications. I sent the paddles to him and he completely reconditioned, replacing several parts and added bearings. Mike kept me informed and even sent pictures of the work in progress. A pleasure to deal with someone that stands behind their work. His service is awesome and highly recommend him!

WA2NEW Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2013 13:45 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Machine Work  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received my R3A about a week ago. The work is super nice. It has a solid feel and stays put on my desk. The action with the magnets work perfect. I don't know how you could improve on this paddle. There must be alot of time in machine work and assembly. If you are looking for a paddle, call Mike and get this one. You will be happy you did. He is a true gentleman and a great guy to deal with.

VE3HG Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2013 07:22 Send this review to a friend
Great Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
Like AD6CW my March R-3A paddle s/n 0287 which I bought at Dayton some years ago directly from Mike who had a table outside in the swap area and had been sitting unused in my shack. This year after emailing Mike we agreed that I would bring my R-3A to Dayton and Mike would give the paddle a cleanup. Mike took the paddle and about four weeks later it arrived all cleaned up and polished with new parts including new bushings.

Now the R-3A runs better than new. And Mike did it at no cost. I just paid $20 for shipping via US Post. Very nice.

So let's get down to how does it run?

First, your mileage may vary. Very one has a personal opinion when it comes to what feels good. I own four Vibroplex bugs and five paddles (March, Nye, Bencher, AME, and Bengali...for more info see http://ve3hg.wordpress.com) and each one has its own characteristics.

As for the March R-3A let's just say it's now back on the operating table and plugged into the main rig :)

AD6CW Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2012 16:06 Send this review to a friend
Reconditioned - like new!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the March R-3A paddle, s/n 55, that I sent back to Mike for reconditioning, as it had sat around, unused, for a while. The coating had worn off in a few places and the brass wasn't shiny.

Mike reconditioned the paddle, disassembled and polished it, put on a new coating, and even replaced the magnets at no extra charge.

Great service, and great paddle! I have a plexiglass display case for it when not in use, to maintain it in this condition.