Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | BuxCom Rascal Help

Reviews Summary for BuxCom Rascal
BuxCom Rascal Reviews: 128 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $49.00
Description: Computer-radio interface
More info: http://buxcommco.com

You can write your own review of the BuxCom Rascal.

KK5VN Rating: 0/5 Feb 15, 2013 15:44 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
Received this item and it had no problem hearing what it was supposed to. No transmit, Checked all the connections and directions again, and still the same. A couple of emails and no resolution. I was basically told by BUX , that I didn't know how to operate a radio, and it could not possibly be a defective unit. I tossed the rascal into the junk box and gave up on PSK. Customer service was grouchy at best and the product defective. Don't waste your money.

WZ3O Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2011 18:54 Send this review to a friend
Simple & works well.....  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have a Rascal II & Rascal II +, they plug & play, sound card, 1 wire to speaker & 1 to Mic on your sound card, a cable that plugs into Rigs digital "port".

Heck they even look decent & are cost competitive compared to other Brands that make you jump through hoops to get up & running!!!!

So, IMHO, toss the Riblasters & SignaLinks, etc in the can, too many variables, settings, conventions, jumpers & more.

If you thought getting into Digital modes was expensive & confusing, just get a Rascal,with a simple setup, sit back, watch the Waterfall, call CQ or answer one.

N2ZN Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2011 13:59 Send this review to a friend
Good performance for 5+ years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had a Rascal for over 5 years, used with two FT-1000MP Mark V's. It has always been a solid performer. Never have had a problem, or have even had to tweak the audio level with the pot on top of the unit. I have used it for SSB voice keying with N1MM Logger, FSK RTTY, AFSK RTTY, all the soundcard modes like PSK-31, 63, 125, MFSK, and so on. Have made thousands of QSO's over the years and probably will make thousands more with it. I am sure there are units with far more features, but this one is simple and does the job. Can't comment on the Buxcomm customer service, because I've never had to contact them for anything-the Rascal is basically plug and play, as long as you have the correct cables and know where to plug them in.

N0LEF Rating: 1/5 Jan 20, 2010 14:08 Send this review to a friend
Pathetic  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I used the Rascal for FSK/RTTY and PSK-31. All seemed to work well with my FT1000MP until I tried to use SSB. Huge ground loop hum. Contacted BuxCom and they sent me their usual info sheet. I tried everything. I even bought their isolation pair for the in/out audio lines. Nothing helped. Several emails went unanswered. Phone calls were never returned. Customer service at this place is ZERO!
I bought a unit from Johnny Melvin, G3LIV, plugged it in and everything works perfectly, without any ground loop hum. This thing is a piece of junk. I hesitate to even sell it to another ham. Other than the ground loop, it worked just fine.

CURIOUSHAM Rating: 0/5 Dec 1, 2009 09:30 Send this review to a friend
junk, plus no support  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a piece of junk. Shoddy workmanship and non-existent customer service. I junked it an bought a Rigblaster and never looked back.

WD0FIA Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2009 23:08 Send this review to a friend
Great value for the price.  Time owned: more than 12 months
It may not be pretty, but it works great.

It is not "plug and play", but it only took me 15 minutes per radio to set up.

I bought one for my Icom 706MIIG, and one for my FT-857D. Both work well.

I own a Rigblaster Plus, and Rigblaster nomic, as well as a MFJ-1275. The Rascal GLX is on the same level for functionality.

KI6QIK Rating: 0/5 May 3, 2009 11:45 Send this review to a friend
Grounded Cable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the Rascal interface cables, and the USB-Serial adapter from Buxcomm.

Could not get a PTT signal. It turned out that the line that carried the signal was grounded.

The Customer "Dis-Service" was rude, crude and denied responsibility. He did not help to solve the problem but soon became another problem.

The few pieces of paper that they call a manuel was next to useless.

The CD had a copyright for 1999-2005.

Check the return policy for BUXCOMM.COM and BUCKSCOM.COM prior to purchase. It's full of weasel clauses.

I did not save any time or money by purchasing this cable. I ended up taking it apart and repairing it myself.

From previous reviews, it sounds like at one time they made a decent cable. I don't know what happened to them.

Carefully check the return policy and support before purchasing this cable. You never know when they will be needed.

WB4IUY Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2009 21:42 Send this review to a friend
Great performance/support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I finally sprung the $59 for the Rascal, interface cables, and the USB-Serial adapted from Buxcomm. I have never been on PSK. In 30 minutes I had read, installed the software, connected the goods, and was making my first PSK contact on 20m. What an addictive mode, I'm sorry I waited so long to get on it!

I emailed Buck, he pointed the way to what folks were buying to get on PSK, and answered my questions right away. Top notch, from start to finish. I'll be buying more stuff from Buxcomm.

Myself and some of the locals had previous experience with Buck, buying some packet radio gear for the packet network, and other items. Always good service and quick turnaround.

Dave WB4IUY

WB2GBF Rating: 3/5 Dec 7, 2008 17:57 Send this review to a friend
It works  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the kit a couple years ago. I started building it, got down to putting the pot in and guess what! The pot was the wrong size for the holes on the board. I tried to fit it into the board and the pot broke, so I tossed it aside.

I went out and bought an MFJ unit. I plugged it in, and long story short the MFJ interface was total garbage that was probably defective from the get go. So I went back and pulled the Rascal out of the junk box, bought a pot, took a razor knife to the board, elongated the holes and finished putting it together. Then I plugged it into my TS-140, adjusted the audio levels and it worked. No problems. Using it with fldigi and Ubuntu Linux.

This an inexpensive unit, but not for the faint of heart. It is a simple set of matching matching transformers with a level translator for the RS-232 port, and it works. I'm giving it a 3 out of 5 because of the messing around I had to do with the board and the fact that the case is a travel soap dish that was poorly drilled and cut.

N4JZY Rating: 0/5 Nov 27, 2008 06:58 Send this review to a friend
Defective Cable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I emailed to explain the KP3+ to Icom Cable was defective and would not work. I explained there was no continuty between the TNC radio plug and the RJ45 on the key line. I was told the cable had been tested and I needed to read the KPC3+ manual concerning carrier detect so I would know what I was doing. It turned out the RJ45 was not crimped correctly and when I replaced it everything worked OK.