Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | BuxCom Rascal Help

Reviews Summary for BuxCom Rascal
BuxCom Rascal Reviews: 128 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $49.00
Description: Computer-radio interface
More info: http://buxcommco.com

You can write your own review of the BuxCom Rascal.

KB9WAC Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2008 15:34 Send this review to a friend
great product and service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a buxcomm.com rascal several years ago and it works great.
The best thing about the rascal is the service department is occupied by real live humans who will answer questions and take the time to talk with you about a purchase.
ps the rating should be at least 10 in my opinion.
kb9wac- keith

W4JLE Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2008 06:12 Send this review to a friend
Working system for the price of a cable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I fail to understand some of the reviews on here. Either they are being posted by a competitor or from the local loony bin. I have used the Rascal for years and just purchased an additional one. Buck has always been outstanding in taking care of problems and giving a 10% discount to MARS, RACES and ARES members.

For the price of the interface cable at most other vendors you get a full working system. Whats not to like. If you did not get the service or help you expected it was because you probably acted like an idiot when you called Buxcomm. Like myself, Buck is an old curmudgeon that does not suffer fools gladly. On the other hand if you are reasonable and talk ham to ham he will bend over backwards to help you.

AC4RD Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2008 16:18 Send this review to a friend
Great products & service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my first Rascal 4 years ago, wound up getting a second one (the "GLX") after 2 years. I've also ordered a bunch of other stuff--antenna supplies, electronic parts--at good prices. The Rascals have always worked perfectly out of the box. And Buck supplies a bunch of software on CD--very handy. I've been entirely satisfied with Buck's products.

The main reason I'm writing a review, though, is that I see a few people complained about service, and I've always found Buxcomm's service to be absolutely fantastic. They've always been friendly and helpful to me. I just ordered some antenna stuff on their website, and asked them to include a cable to hook a Rascal up to another radio. Didn't know the part number, but I *asked* in the comment section for them to send me the right one. Three days later, my stuff arrived, complete with the cable I needed. The folks at Buxcomm have always gone out of their way to be helpful, in my experience. I've never had a problem, or been dissatisfied, ever. I sure have had a lot of fun with PSK31 and RTTY, too.

KB2HSH Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2007 14:51 Send this review to a friend
Buck did it again!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Even though I already own and have reviewed the Rascal, today I received the MDIN cable in the mail. It is vaguely specified for the FT-817ND, or any radio that uses a standard 6-pin mini DIN connector. I was a bit skeptical, as always, but after plugging the cable in to each respective port, and starting UISS/AGWPE, I worked KE0LX via the ISS! Works as promised!!
No issues here.

KF0FS Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2007 10:19 Send this review to a friend
Great little units  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my first Rascal when I needed one in a hurry and the 'other brands' could not ship one right away. The buxcom folks had me in business in 3 days. Since them I have bought another rascal and other items and have had 100% positive experience.

Lou WA0CW

AB5CC Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2007 19:50 Send this review to a friend
No Problems Here  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have the Rascal GLX interface. I use it for PSK and SSTV. It works great! I am using it now with a laptop and a USB-Serial adapter. Don't buy a cheap USB-Serial adapter from ebay, go to Best Buy and spend the $36 and save some time and headache. I have also ordered a cable for my second rig, the IC-703 and it also worked flawlessly. I did have an issue with the second cable, but it was my error, I plugged it in upside-down. I emailed the tech support and had an answer by the next morning, but I had already figured out my goof-up. Buxcomm is the authority on pre-made cables.

N1KFC Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2007 06:33 Send this review to a friend
Good product & service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a couple of these interfaces and they have worked well right out of the box. I mainly use them for mobile/portable work and they have withstood travel, multiple mechanical connect & disconnect cycles, and a range of temperature / humidity conditions. All orders have been packed well and shipped quickly, usually the same day. Good value and service. Repeat customer.

KC0NDR Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2007 07:34 Send this review to a friend
No Problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I guess I am one of the lucky ones, but every thing i have purchaced from Buxcom has worked with no problem. I have the white soap dish Rascal with both cables for a 706, cable for 6 pin min DIN, a cable for Icom portables, and cables for KPC3+ and all have worked. I have also bought the 2m/70cm base antenna and the 6m base antenna, and connectors and other misc itmes with no problems. Of course I read and keep all instructions for later reference. Buxcom ships fast and have no problems what so ever with this company. Just thought I would give my 2-bits worth.

W4IEI Rating: 1/5 Jan 13, 2007 17:55 Send this review to a friend
Your lucky if it works.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
If you order it and it works ok, you are very lucky.

Unfortunately most of us are not this lucky. I called them up and purchased the Rascal and it did not work. Next I figured it was the cable so I spent an additional $14 on another cable that fixed some problems but not others.

After getting chewwed out by "tech support" (an oxymoron at their company) I told them that I wanted my money back and they did not want me to give me my money back.

After this distastefull experience I purchased a Rigblaster Plus.

At a little more cost, When I had a defective product the first time, they did not blow me off and tell me that I was stupid, They Complemented me on my knowledge and announced that the would be sending me a replacement rigblaster free of charge. They were very pleasent to work with and not much of the your stupid garbage that I got from the Buxcom people.

KC0VPV Rating: 4/5 Jul 21, 2006 20:04 Send this review to a friend
Quick and Easy Kit  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought my Rascal kit and it arrived in 3 days. Very Easy Kit to build. Manual describing the Radio to Computer hook-up leaves much to be desired though. For the Price, I feel you can't go wrong with what you get for your money.