Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | AOR AR 8000 handheld unit Help

Reviews Summary for AOR AR 8000 handheld unit
AOR AR 8000 handheld unit Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: handheld scanner that covers HF too

You can write your own review of the AOR AR 8000 handheld unit.

SWL377 Rating: 4/5 Dec 3, 2013 17:46 Send this review to a friend
Great handheld rcvr  Time owned: months
I also have AOR AR 8200 ICOM R 20 and R 10 and a Yupi 7100. The AR 8000 is a very good rcvr and has much better battery life than its successor the AR 8200 which devours batteries fast. It has fewer features than the 8200, but it is at least as good a performer on HF SSB. My ideal would be the Yupi 7100 with the voice squelch circuit of the Icom R 10. Voice squelch isnt carrier operated but looks for modulation that has the spectral characteristics of voice and the right syllabic rate to trigger. It's miraculous, based on an expired Motorola patent. It wont trigger on contant tones or unmodulated carriers. The 8000 screen light is very poor, barely illumintes it at night. 8000s go much cheaper then 8200s (I paid $100 for my 8000) so if you can find one for a good price buy it.

KE5GBY Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2013 03:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been into radio since 1991. I have owned many, many different radios, scanners, receivers, tranceivers, etc. and in my opinion the AOR AR 8000 is the best all mode, all band handheld portable receiver I have used. It has excellent RX on the HF bands when used with an outdoor antenna and is decent using a 42" telescoping whip. The other portable receivers I have owned were either totally deaf on HF or just a very poor performer.
This radio may be discontinued but it is an excellent all band, all mode DC to daylight portable receiver.

KEV Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2003 11:33 Send this review to a friend
The best handheld i've used  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used both the 8200 and 8000 receivers for professional application, and while the 8000 has fewer bells and whistles, it is a far superior receiver. It actually gets great reception down in the HF bands for such a small unit, with super reception of broacast sigs and decent selectivity of 3khz stuff. It scans faster than the 8200 and gets much longer battery life. The only lousy thing about it is the pathetic display light. If you can find one, I strongly recommend it.