Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | AGW's Packet Engine Help

Reviews Summary for AGW's Packet Engine
AGW's Packet Engine Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: A software TNC for Windows 95/8 16 bit Soundcards. The program is a easy way to monitor packet frequencies. You can also create your own COMPORT to radio interface to send packet with. This is an excellent program to get on local VHF packet and the cost in parts is only $5. A good program to use with this interface is WINPACK http://www.peaksys.fsbusiness.co.uk/ I found that the terminal program on my WIN 98 SE crashed so I switched to WINPACK to solve the problems. For complete set up information and schematics visit: http://www.qsl.net/soundcardpacket/SetAGW.htm
I was up and running on Packet in about 1 hour and saved $100 dollars on buying a new TNC.

More info: http://www.elcom.gr/sv2agw/

You can write your own review of the AGW's Packet Engine.

2E0KXQ Rating: 0/5 Mar 28, 2012 19:01 Send this review to a friend
rubbish  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
3 men tried to get this to work with 3 tncs on 3 different computers

NOTHING HAPPENS

WHAT A LOAD OF JUNK

N0AN Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2006 12:35 Send this review to a friend
Essential for Serious Packeteers  Time owned: more than 12 months
Many people are under the mistaken impression that AGWPE's primary use/function is as a soundcard based TNC. Actually, its most impressive function is TNC management. It permits multiple programs to access the TNC, even remotely over the internet. I'm using 3 sets of radios/tnc's with it, and can access all of them over the internet.

As long as the software client you choose is agw aware/compatible, you can do amazing things with it.

I am currently running UI-View32 (APRS), AGWTracker(APRS), AGWUI-Digi(APRS Smart DigiPeater), UISS (ISS Terminal), AGWMonitor(Terminal program), AGWTerminal/TCP all at the same time from various computers, some locally some on my LAN and some from work.

If you are serious about what can be done with packet, AGWPE (I use the PRO version) is just the ticket...and the ability to do sound card packet is a nice plus...yet I have never had any interest in that aspect of AGWPE.

KC0GLA Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2005 11:48 Send this review to a friend
The paid version is worth it.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I started out with the free version. It would lock the computer up after about 10 hours or so. I downloaded the new version as a demo and had no problems. I since have bought the full version and have not turned back. It will run for day's or even weaks. I have not tried the tcp/ip option but I have remotly used it on another computer and was very pleased.

I recomend paying for the new version it is still cheaper than a TNC any day.

KG4VGH Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2004 09:20 Send this review to a friend
excellent service too  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got the tcp/ip drivers, had a duece of a time getting them installed correctly.......
Working with SV2AGW (George) the creator of the program, we got it working correctly.
MOST EXCELLENT Customer service and very patient.....***Salute***

VK4LAJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2002 06:03 Send this review to a friend
Simple to set up  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I used PC-Flexnet for a long time, and really hated the fact that I once loaded I could not use the sound card for any other application unless I rebooted the machine. This was because it had to be loaded before windows as a TSR. It took a lot to get the settings right too.

Well, recently I upgraded my computer and decided to try something different. I found AGW and gave it a try. The features that I found really good were: -

1. Simple to set up and get going.
2. Really thorough user guide - html and PDF.
3. Works with Winpack.
4. can be turned on and off at will, so you can use the sound card for other things.
5. Can load the application of your choice automatically.

There are probably other things that are great about it too. I use it for Packet using a soundcard and 3 components for the interface to key the radio. Others may like to comment on the other applications it drives.

Adam

VE7BGP Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2002 13:14 Send this review to a friend
Since Sliced Bread for Baycom  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The greatest thing "Since Sliced Bread" for the Baycom Modem. No more running the Baycom on prehistoric DOS! Once you set up and configure the AGW Packet Engine and AGWTerminal programs. The programs work great with Baycom I also run APRS with the Packet Engine. I reccommend this program for any wanting to dig their old Baycom Modem out of mothballs and put them to good use. Have fun on Packet again. 73 Gerry

KY6R Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2001 21:59 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have PSK31 running on my HF rig and RigBlaster. I also have an all mode rig, and figured I try the Rigblaster and a sound card TNC just for fun. Its great - in fact, in saves me the cost of a hardware dedicated TNC, which is too much $$$ just for goofing around with APRS and Packet. Plus - I just reuse the Rigblaster that I have. On the rigblaster site - check out their blurb on daisy chaining 2 Rigblasters and controlling 2 radios with only 1 Serial cable. Very cool.

Rich

KC0FNS Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2001 00:19 Send this review to a friend
Easy Packet getup  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use the AGW packet engine for my occasional work on packet. I found it to be an excellent receiver. Working with APRS was neat too! I think this is better than dedicated hardware and easy to setup.

I am going to try the TCP/IP interface next.

I was able to work several packet stations and lots of APRS stations with a modest antenna and my IC706MKII. I use a rigblaster interface.

The software works great. The downside if there is one, is that you need to have a computer on to use it :-)

My interface for my 2M HT will be of the $5 variety. My laptop does packet just fine, but the in PSK/Packet causes the processor to run warm.

73, Mark, KC0FNS

WOR7AVC Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2001 15:12 Send this review to a friend
Good Software for Soundcard TNC  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Nice program for Soundcard TNC on VHF.