Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Nye Viking MB-VA Help

Reviews Summary for Nye Viking MB-VA
Nye Viking MB-VA Reviews: 44 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $830
Description: 3KW, Pi impedance matching network, makes a tuned RF circuit
More info: http://www.skyport.com/rogue-press/nye1.htm

You can write your own review of the Nye Viking MB-VA.

KD6NXI Rating: 2/5 May 17, 2017 13:06 Send this review to a friend
Cumbersome  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
You can choose direct on anything but position one. You have to choose one of 5 push buttons for additional capacitance. No capacitance knob. Auto ranging is confusing because it jumps back and forth between 3kw and below 300 watts if you are tuning an amp. SWR does not always trigger and display value.

W8NIC Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2015 03:27 Send this review to a friend
A REAL TUNER!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had many tuners and I must say this Nye Viking-V is on the very top of the long list.
It will give you TRUE values unlike the rest, which will show a 1:1 swr but not be efficient. The antenna I use is an awkward length Vertical loop (110 feet). This wonderful tuner will show a 1:1 on all bands with exception of 80 and 10 meters which show 2:1.
I, unfortunately also have an MFJ-989 and will tune the same antenna on 80 and 10 meters 1:1. But is it efficient? No.
So don't think that just because your tuner gives you a 1:1 reading doesn't mean your antenna will radiate properly.
The MB-V will give you a TRUE reading.
I'm keeping mine.

K5YZS Rating: 1/5 Mar 13, 2013 02:48 Send this review to a friend
Major Design Flaws  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the MB-V-A in 1992 to match a new 160 m dipole and an Alpha 89 amplifier. The amp at 1500 watts blew out the fixed value 230 pF plastic/aluminium sandwitch capacitor; replaced with a 5 KV transmitting MICA Cap; problem solved. The QST reviewed in June 1994 and pointed
out several design flaws. 1) using a single fixed value input capacitor on a Pi-Network for multi-band use. 2) Balun connected to network 100 % of the time when not needed for coax feed antennas. Both not efficient. Manufacturers should read Fredrick Terman's book chapters on network design.

I found more flaws: 3) the THREE wire voltage
balun should not be used for transmitting, per Sevick and W7EL analysis. I rewound it as a 2 wire bifilar balun and was then able to match my
160 m dipole from 1860 kHz down to 1801 kHz. I
expanded my range on the 80 m dipole from 3700 kHz down to 3501 kHz with the two wire current balun. 4) I rewired connections to network output
by re-wiring push button "D" to connect to network coil only when using balanced line. 5) I added a band switch on the input to switch in multiple capacitors rather than one fixed 230 pF---as is done in my RL DRAKE MN-2700 with B-1000,
that band swithes for more efficiency.
My MN-2700 with B-1000 is not for sale.

6)The box is too small to avoid coil to case spacing rules of 2 times coil diameter and too much circuit loading from close case spacing that adds extra circuit capacitance. Read my review of the MFJ-9982 and its arcing problems at 700 to 800 watts on my dipoles with the small air gap spacing of only 0.070 inches. I have never arced the modified MB-V-A tuning cap with its 0.190 inches (7 KV) capacitor air gap.
Buyer beware with the "patent pending 2500 watts continuous MFJ-9982" junk box -- read my review of the MFJ-9982 junk box. I am currently trying out a like new second hand Pal-Star BT-1500A that is a great performer; I got for $499. 73 Jim,
retired engineer, K5YZS

K6YE Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2009 19:10 Send this review to a friend
A-W-E-S-O-M-E  Time owned: months
I was going to sell my late father's (K5LDH) MB-IV-A as I had heard that they were not so hot. Before listing any item, I always put them on line and run tests. I was surprised that it matched my Alpha-Delta 160/80/40 sloper and the 40 meter section of a Force-12 C4XLD without much of a problem. I currently use a Heathkit SA-2060A which has tuned every antenna that I have owned. The equipment used are FT-1000D, IC-775DSP, 91B,and TL-922A. While I plan to purchase an automatic tuner in the near future, the MB-IV-A is a keeper.

Note that the main difference between the MB-IV-A and the MB-V-A is the addition of a selectable coax switch on the front panel with corresponding SO-239 connectors on rear.

I did not try it on 20 through 10 meters because my antenna is flat. However, IMHO, this bad boy rocks. If you can find either at a reasonable price, snap it up! It will perform well, indeed!

Semper Fi,

Tommy - K6YE
DX IS

W1LJN Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2008 07:34 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second and I am able to get flat SWR on 40, 80 and 160 meters. This unit is a workhorse and I particularly like the separate meters for power and SWR much better than the crossed needles. Unfortunately they are no longer produced and I had to get my second one through E-Bay - still a bargain.

KB3KRJ Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2008 20:01 Send this review to a friend
High Power and High Quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I wanted a high power tuner, went to HRO to look at new tuners. They had this on the used-equipment shelf. I took kit home and have been very happy. I tune a loop with approx 650 feet of wire on ALL bands, yep, even 160M. Since I bought mine I have seen them on ebay for more than twice what I paid, even then it would be a good deal.

NE5C Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2007 15:52 Send this review to a friend
I love it - SHERMAN TANK!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had mine now for about 3 years and the only time I had any problem Tuning an antenna was when I HAD A PROBLEM... WITH THE ANTENNA! Never failed me and is as smooth as silk, reliable when I go back to my recorded presets, right on track. In fact I played around with Palstars "BUT"... my money now is on Nye Viking.

DJ1NE Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2006 10:08 Send this review to a friend
very good, massive and robust  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This Tuner for me is a good machine, Its tune very well and is simple to use. I like this 2 Meters - work good!
The only important for this tuner is a proper rollerinductor (after any time it has "resin" and is black) and the contacts from the very massive switch. After 20 Minutes i maked clean the contacts from the switch -now its looks again silver- with a normal window cleaner "Sidolin", remove the front panel to disassamble the Inductor coil, make it very clean, used an special OIL named "BALLISTOL" a fine product for HAM. After complete the tuner - its work very good with my other US-RIG (TEN TEC OMNI V)

N8ERM Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2006 05:59 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was told when I bought this tuner to use my antenna analyzer to set this up. I followed directions and recorded my settings on each antenna and on each band. This tuner has perfect repeatability. If it doesn't tune perfectly at the recorded settings the antenna has a problem. I since have set up three for of these for friends. I has the same results. I am not going to claim that you can load up some bed springs. If your antenna is close to resonance on each band I believe this tuner will do it's job FB.

OZ1DTF Rating: 4/5 Aug 22, 2006 10:37 Send this review to a friend
Relativelly good tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the tuner about 10 years ago and have used it succesfully with QRO (Alpha 91).
For me the tuner works perfect on 3.5-30 MHz with 2x18 m inverted V and 17 m Titanex 250 ohm Twincom balanced feeder. Recommended reading is QST March 1997 which documents matching limitations and you may choose to select antenna and feeder length accordingly. But the expectation is that you can tune almost anything. Yes, it must be a bad joke to mention 160 m in the tuning range. At least the manual should give a hint of what 160 m antenna it can tune - I still have not found out. I have no experience with customer support as the only other problem has been a loose rubber foot. I have also a nice Heathkit SA-2040 tuner with which I do not have to worry about feeder length. I should mention that I really like the metering circuits of the MB-V-A! This suddenly stop working and I had forgotten that there is a 9V battery. Over the 10 year period I have replaced this once.