Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Nye Viking MB-VA Help

Reviews Summary for Nye Viking MB-VA
Nye Viking MB-VA Reviews: 43 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $830
Description: 3KW, Pi impedance matching network, makes a tuned RF circuit
More info: http://www.skyport.com/rogue-press/nye1.htm

You can write your own review of the Nye Viking MB-VA.

WB3HUH Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2006 20:39 Send this review to a friend
Check it out before you buy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned Johnson, Drake, Dentron, and MFJ tuners. I have had great luck with the second hand Nye unit that I have.I love it. I could probably load a gutter nail on 160 but that would be pushing it! I suspect that a number of negative comments are about used units that were fried through misuse (perhaps they really did try to load that gutter nail with 1000W on 160!)or the budding EE first owner decided to "upgrade" or "re-engineer" the unit.In any event, in a unit that has not been abused, and I have one, there is quality evident in construction, and performance is outstanding. Just remember... you can't run a horse hard and put it away wet and expect it to win races.

NV7E Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2006 05:06 Send this review to a friend
Still One of the Best in Real-World Use  Time owned: more than 12 months
I originally got the MB-V-A about 1989 to replace an MFJ high-power tuner which I had blown out. The MB-V-A never failed when I used it for its first two years with a Ten-Tec Titan linear at over 1500 watts out. Recently I had a Ten-Tec 238B tuner which I liked, but it blew out at a much lower power level, so I pulled out my old MB-V-A from reserve.

I am using the MB-V-A with a Traffie HX-5Bi Hex-Beam on 40 and 80 meters with excellent results. My previous tuner could not tune the Hex-Beam on 80 meters. I can work what I can hear, including the weak ones.

After using the other tuners, I can see now that the MB-V-A is truly a superior product. When you determine the tuner settings for a certain frequency you can rely on them. I would not want to be without one of these tuners ever again.

I recently checked to see if I could get another MB-V-A if I had to. I don't see it in the catalogs of the major ham dealers any more, but it is still available directly from Nye-Viking. Its web site is http://www.nyeviking.com/. (Note that this URL is not the same as shown at the top of the eHam review page for the MB-V-A as of the time I write this.)

NV7E + ZS6SIG

N9QZD Rating: 4/5 Mar 14, 2004 04:25 Send this review to a friend
Well made tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I give it a 4 instead of a 5 because it has somewhat limited matching range. But other than that it works great. Never arc'd over once. Very well constructed.

WB9JOX Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2003 16:12 Send this review to a friend
Still a good tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had tuner for over 6 yrs and had one minor problem .Also run AL -1500 AMP and works great with it.Palstar AT4K is a good tuner ,but just a bit large in size ,could have made it with a smaller cabinet.

KA1XO Rating: 2/5 Dec 28, 2003 14:18 Send this review to a friend
Requires Maintenance  Time owned: more than 12 months
The current piece is the second MB5A to be owned. The first unit was flawless and matched the Alpha '77 to various wires and beams.
The latest unit was purchased used. The previous owner attempted to lube the various contact surfaces with Copper-Seal, which is great in nuclear plants but gums up after evaporating the oily stuff. Called NYE and was told to spray gun cleaner through the works. Decided to completely dissemble everything and wash out all bearings and to burnish capacitor plates. On try-out, the SWR meter doesn't wobble when the inductor is turned anymore. The power meter doesn't energize until the RF power from the exciter is advanced to around ten watts. The high-power LED gets incidental light from the nearby illuminated meters and a bit of dark nail poish on the inside blocked that. Having a switch to turn the meter on and leave it on would be okay. Having a switch to cut from low to high power and leave it would be okay, too, as when tuning the amplifier it's disconcerting to see the meter vane jump all of a sudden while watching other indicators. Replaced the #10 ground screw with a beefier bolt and mechanical compression lug to accommodate a #1AWG ground wire. Calibration of meters approximate when compared with Coaxial Dynamics stand alone wattmeter: Everything's relative. Meter pilot light DC wiring runs right along variable capacitor side and picks up RF wonderfully. Need to add an RF choke to 12 volt line outside RCA jack. The contact surfaces on the various RF switches are brass screws with very little contact surface. Silver shorting bars make up for small surface area, but hefty bonafide contacts in those places would reassure the high power user. Metal gauge on case very thin. Screws stripped in several places. Variable capacitor plate geometry varies as the capacitor is worked. Finger contacts on variable capacitor rotor pickup disk do not make contact with all four fingers all the time. Stopping method on roller inductor needs to have operator paying attention to circular index counter as it approaches zero because it seems that a crash will break something. Would love to yank the entire thing apart and double up on rotary inductor to make a balanced tuner. The good part of the story is that the machine handles high power well. The bad part of the story is that it lacks the features lesser powered units such as the PalStar or Nevada offer.

KG4LRU Rating: 3/5 Mar 22, 2003 06:02 Send this review to a friend
There our better choices  Time owned: more than 12 months
i HAD A OLDER VERSION ,BUT i FOUND THE TUNER TO VERY DIFFICULT TO TUNE THE SAME SPOT AND WAS NOT HAPPY ITS A LOT OF MONEY AND BIG BOX i SENT MINE PACKIN.

W7IS Rating: 2/5 Dec 19, 2002 17:19 Send this review to a friend
A garage sale tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used the Nye Viking tuner for several years and it could handle the power from a maxed out Alpha amp. But the switch assembly looked like it was put together in the back of a garage by someone after a two day drunk. And it took me several days of messing with the alignment to get it to work. But even then it had poor electrical contacts in the switch assembly. So I sold it for a fraction of what I paid for it new. And bought a Tec Tec 238.

KO4O Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2002 09:59 Send this review to a friend
Have 2 both great  Time owned: months
I have a MB5A that I have had for over 10 years and a MB5 for 12 years. I have both of these on a full legal limit station. SB-220 amp and a TenTec Titan 425 amp and have tuned all types and kinds of antennas with them. I have never had an arc or a problem tuning any antenna. I have never been dissatisfied with either unit in any way. The MB5A is a little more difficult to learn to use than the MB5 but it has the auto switch watt meter that I love. I have had about 12 other types of tuners from different MFGS and I would choose the Nye over any of them. I really liked the TenTec 238 tuner but it was not as heavy duty as the Nye.

W1TE Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2002 05:13 Send this review to a friend
Very gool luck on 160-40  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have purchased three of these tuners for use as "single band tuners" for 160, 80 and 40 meters. The station is fairly automated with automatic amplifier and antenna selection from the transcievers or logging computers. The 160 meter antenna is an inverted L with a 75 foot vertical section and two full size elevated radials. Feed through a 1.56:1 balun the antenna is easily tuned across the band. The 80 meter antenna is either an inverted V at 75 feet or two phased verticals (soon to be 4). The antennas are cut for 3.525. The tuner easily allows me to also use the 3.795 DX window. On 40 the antenna is a Force 12 C4SXL which is tuned to 7.025. The tuner easily tunes the 40M US SSB section. I have tried the tuners using the Force 12 C4SXL on 12 and 17 which is OK. Power is usually 1 KW from a Quadra and sometimes from either a TL922A or a LK500ZA. No evidence of any overheating or sparking etc. has been identified. The repeatability is excellent. If I needed tuners elsewhere I would add additional units.

WG7X Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2002 02:25 Send this review to a friend
Follow-up  Time owned: more than 12 months
This review is a follow-up to the one I wrote in July, 2000.

I have been using this tuner now for almost two years, and I can say without reservation that it works very well, and has made my simple antenna play very well.

As others have noted, the tuner tunes very consistently, and the settings are repeatable every time. This makes it so easy to use, there is no comparison! It takes me mere seconds to QSY from one band to another.

I would buy another if one came available, because I would like to establish a bigger wire antenna farm!

Gary WG7X