Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | CodeQuick 2000 Morse Code Learning Program Help

Reviews Summary for CodeQuick 2000 Morse Code Learning Program
Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $$29.95
Description: Code Quick goes to your speech center. Only Code Quick sends the code to the language part of your brain for instant recognition, permanent memory and no plateaus. You hear each code symbol as an English sound-alike. With a little practice you will recognize code as easily as speech. Only Code Quick walks you through each character with fun and humor to make learning fast and exciting. Unforgettable cartoon cards, and unique learning activities lock the image to the code symbol instantly and forever in your mind.
More info: http://www.cq2k.com

You can write your own review of the CodeQuick 2000 Morse Code Learning Program.

K7KY Rating: 2/5 Mar 5, 2012 11:19 Send this review to a friend
Not Recommended if you hope to exceed 18-20wpm  Time owned: more than 12 months
I find the Koch CW learning method is superior to Code Quick. Learning to associate each letter with words/concepts creates a mental look-up table. OK for low-speed CW, but not good if you hope to move beyond 18wpm. The Koch method teaches you to associate CW sound directly with the letter and then the sound with words. A good example is the G4FON Koch Trainer.

I bought Code Quick twice a few years back and I feel pretty dumb for buying the second copy. When I tried to reinstall CQ on my new computer, the owner tells me my copy is too old to reissue the key and sells me another (same) copy at discount. With this copy the same thing happens; a computer crash requires reinstalling CQ. Same story again except I decline the ploy this time. Now, I"m trying to forget 'Did Pa Pop It' while relearning CW with G4FON Koch Trainer (free - donate if you like).

AF6Z Rating: 1/5 Mar 5, 2012 10:32 Send this review to a friend
Was Great, now I can't recommend  Time owned: more than 12 months
I fully agree with WC5B. I've had a very similar experience. I made 3 calls for the unlock code and finally gave up. QuickCode uses a well thought out method of teaching CW that made it easy and quick. I used it 10 years ago and thought that it would be great for my kids and our club. Unfortunately, the strong arm security makes it unpleasant and time consuming to install. I understand the need to protects the developer's financial interest but I find these draconian measure not worth the trouble or worry.

WC5B Rating: 1/5 Mar 5, 2012 00:57 Send this review to a friend
"Was" good at one time, Now looks to be a scam.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was a sucker to try this software again. The idea behind it was great. I have yet to find another program that uses this system to learn code. I bought the 2000 version of the software and it did really make me learn code rather quickly. The issue was that you had to go through the software developer to get an unlock code even after you bought it. If money is transferred, I should have access AT TIME OF PURCHASE! The worst part is I forgot why I had to stop using the software. I travel with a laptop and it was damaged beyond repair. I had to get a new machine and load the software back up. Guess what? Had to call the Dev again for an access code! It took a day or two because the guy was taking care of family business. Then when I stopped travelling I started to use a desktop. When trying to install the software, I had to (You guessed it) call the ONE AND ONLY DEV! again to get an access code. This time I never received a call back or email returned. Somehow the memory of how good the actual program out weighed the memory of how frustrating it was to actually use for the user as it is locked up like Fort Knox and there is only one flippin guy with the key, and you MUST call him to get the stupid thing!!!! Well, here I went and forgot that and bought the upgraded version in which it said I did not have to have the old installed on my drive to buy and install it. I just had to have my callsign on the customer database. So I downloaded it and started it up after paying another $30 bucks. Oh look..... a user name and password is required! Better yet, all the email links are broken and do not exist anymore on their website. How nice. Its sad that this software is as good as it is for those lucky enough to get into it, but its a MORSE CODE LESSON SOFTWARE NOT FLIPPIN' BANKING BACKBONE DATABASE SOFTWARE!!!!! It does not have to be locked up like it is! And if you do lock it up, have a business staffed to take calls and not just one guy in the whole flippin flappin cotton pickin universe!!!!!! I will update my review if I EVER reach anyone and actually get to see the program, but I doubt I will EVER give it a 5 until they remove these insane security measures. Until then, they took my money and did not give me my product so its a Scam in my book. Even the older one you only got ONE install and you were toast. Am I renting or buying a licensed copy?

KI6DZU Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2010 23:27 Send this review to a friend
Highly Recommended  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First my results: From nearly scratch - in one week (a bit longer than 1 hour a night) I have learned 26 letters, comma, dot, 1,2,3. That says it all really.

In addition to the course I sprinkled in some Just Learn Morse Code sessions, some listening to QSOs, and converting words to code in my head randomly through the day.

I wasn't sure if my results were real or limited to the software so last night I loaded up the quotes of the day podcast (5wpm) and was able to copy about 90-95%. Truly amazing.

The course is comprised of a pdf (your "textbook"), some tables to track your progress, audio lessons, and the lesson software.

Your first steps will be to print out and cut up a few sheets worth of flashcards, sound alikes on one side, letter on the other, and some progress tracking docs and you're ready to rock.

For each letter you'll get a story for the sound alike, hear the code, hear the code and the sound alike and then do some muscle memory drills. Then you'll switch over to the software and get some drills there. As you progress the old letters will be thrown in to keep you on your toes, and keep them fresh in your mind.

However, there are some issues:

The software is poorly written. The UI is odd and contains fairly large bugs.

The audio lessons sound amateurish. Tracks sound like channels from varying bit rates/microphones were spliced in together, and the levels are off. I believe there are instances where the former is used to enhance the sound alike "sticking", but it is not consistent.

The website is poorly designed and down right confusing. Ordering did not even work correctly. I ended up resorting to reading the source to place mine.

So now you've just read those harsh words and I would like to make something perfectly clear.

*** With these issues the program STILL GETS A 5. ***

If you want to learn cw - buy this right now.

If you any have questions I'll be more than happy to help: my call @gmail.com

KC8WUC Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2009 12:15 Send this review to a friend
Excellent approach  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Although not needing to pass the 5 wpm Morse code requirement when I obtained any of my amateur licenses, this was still an interest of mine. I originally purchased this in 2003 after obtaining my Tech license and never did anything with it. After a couple of moves and getting my Extra in 2007, I ended up trying Code Quick again, this time to get up to 20-25 wpm, enough to get my 2nd Class Radiotelegraph Operator Certificate. I passed elements 5 and 6 and telegraphy elements 1 and 2 this month and got my 2nd Class.

I know that there are a number of software and audio programs out there that work, but after trying a couple of them, I think that use of Code Quick was the best approach for me. Using a mnemonic device to learn the characters, repeating them aloud was especially helpful. The act of physically writing them (using very large exaggerated movements in the air and on sand paper), makes use of a kinesthetic science known to pianists and organists--- eurhythmics, connecting the hand and mind together. Once you make this connection in your mind, having to say the letters aloud or remember the word associations isn't necessary. I highly recommend this for anyone learning Morse code.

The only downside I can think of is trying to get the daily drills to load properly on your computer... I had to call a couple of times for help.

K6RSG Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2005 18:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Program - Great Customer Support!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the software and Audio CD bundle last year. The combination helped me get past my Morse Code test in about 2-3 weeks. Since that time (May '04) I've not worked CW. As I recently replaced my older Win9x based PC with a brand new XP PC, I phoned Jerry and he instantly provided me with the revised password, etc.

I'm exploring refreshing my CW -- this time at my own leisure with no pressure.

Still enjoy the program and the customer service is exceptional!

Very 73,

Rob - AK9G
(Prev. K6RSG)

KC0UXC Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2005 11:45 Send this review to a friend
Fun and Easy!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this program less than 2 months ago. I would run the program 2 times a day (lunch and after supper) for about 45 minutes each. My 9 and 5 year old loved it also, we would have "who can say the letter first" contests. My 9 yr. old knows at least half the code. I passed the CW test the first time with no errors. Schedule your time, stick with it, and it is easy!! This program makes it FUN and EASY for the 5wpm test and you can crank it up and push your limits. I would give it a 10. Service was great with fast email replies also.

KG6POG Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2005 19:46 Send this review to a friend
Very easy and Quick  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I decided to go after my general last fall (Oct. 2004) and it took me three weeks to pass the 5 wpm with an excellant score.
I had trouble at first finding the rythum used in Code Quick, but after getting used to the rythum it went pretty fast.

I've heard of people passing the test in two weeks and under using Code Quick, but I felt pretty good about getting it done in three.

I would recommend this to just about anyone, but I have heard people say they have trouble getting the rythum, so it might not be the best for everyone but it sure worked for me.

KB3KTX Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2004 16:59 Send this review to a friend
Great Concept  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I would have been bored to death having to learn morse code by memorization. The "catch phrase" method VERY QUICKLY teaches you the pattern for each symbol. The longer you listen to the CW, the more you recognize the patterns themselves -- you'll only have to "translate" through the catch-phrases for the symbols you still have problems with. At 5wpm, you can almost rely on the phrases entirely... but I didn't do that myself...

Bottom line: This software is WELL WORTH the $30 or so.

Here's another tip for cramming right before the test. I didn't buy their CD -- I made my own. I typed my own text in the codequick window, leaving tons of space between symbols (luckily the software works that way, treating each space as a delay). I then plugged in a microphone and fired up windows sound recorder. I let codequick do the CW, then counted one-one-thousand, two-one-thousand, then said aloud what it was. I did this for about ten characters at a time. I then used sound recorder to cut each WAV into multiple WAVS (using the remove before / remove after edit functions). The result was 40+ little WAV files. I burned these onto a CD, put them in my truck, and put the CD player on RANDOM. I did this drill to and from work for the two weeks before my exam. I'd try to say the symbol as fast as I could after the CW played. If I got it wrong, my own voice corrected me 2 seconds later.

I passed my exam on the first try, about a month after deciding I was going to. I missing maybe 2 or 3 symbols, and got all 10 questions correct.

Good luck to all other newbie (or wanna be) CW'ers out there!

73 -- KB3KTX

KB3GUN Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2004 15:49 Send this review to a friend
Great Program  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I too had great luck with CodeQuick after trying many other "systems". I prefer the CD's over the software as I could take it anywhere I went. It took me 3 weeks (it would have been 2 if I had followed the plan) to hit 5 WPM. Like someone else here said, I also learned to enjoy CW after learning with CodeQuick.