Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | M2 6M-5X Help

Reviews Summary for M2 6M-5X
Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $209
Description: 5 Element Six Meter Beam on an 18' Boom

You can write your own review of the M2 6M-5X.

WE8Q Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2009 06:01 Send this review to a friend
Nice  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Replaced a 5 element Cushcraft with this antenna when I put up my new tower. Easy to assemble and very light weight. Excellent performance with flat SWR.

NE4EB Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2008 15:27 Send this review to a friend
Pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The antenna came well packed in a small box. The assembly took about two hours, and it all went together without a hitch.

It sets at 50 ft. on the tower, and the SWR meter doesn't even move from 50-53 MHz. I haven't tested higher.

The pattern is tight.

The supplied instructions could be written a tad bit clearer and a few more pictures would have been nice.

I will by M2 again.

N3DG3 Rating: 4/5 May 30, 2008 06:03 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Overall  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a fine antenna and performs very well compared to my Cushcraft 5 element yagi which is on a shorter boom.

While the elements on the M2 6M5X are thinner, the beam is lighter on a 50% longer boom. I probably would prefer solid rod elements to give the antenna more stability from flexing or moisture collecting inside the hollow elements.

Also, there are no end caps on the hollow elements which means moisture and insects might possibly nest inside.

It is easy to assemble and matches and tunes very well and easily by comparison and performs quite well. I am pleased with the T Match, balun and the elements staying in line and not windmilling.

I highly recommend this antenna, and might suggest consider buying a few end caps before final installation.

W4YJ Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2008 23:02 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got the M2 today and had it put together in about 3 hours. I was working alone and I took my time to get it right. I had to drill out the boom mount holes slightly because they did not quite line up but that was no big deal. I found the instructions a big lacking but no problem. Put it up on a 10 ft mast and ZERO reflected power! Running 100 watts output with a FT 450 made a nice contact in Iowa with it just 10 ft off the ground! My XYL Sharron, W4WIF, held the the 10 ft mast while I ran checks and was amazed at what I could hear on the band. She was impressed with the antenna also. Can't wait to get it up on the tower at 50 ft level. Superb hardware. GREAT product! I highly recommend this antenna.

K5YY Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2007 18:21 Send this review to a friend
Just the best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great design and sturdy, lasting components.
Fantastic machine work and fit except for one of the boom pieces that I had to slightly enlarge one hole on each side by 1/32 inch.
The feed system/balun and T match are superb, water tight. Extra element "inserts" give strength and prevent wind vibration.
Typical M2 locking nuts, the best and won't back off with vibration.
Set up as per instructions, and SWR was 1.1 at 50.2, 1.2 up to 50.3 and 1.2 all way down to 50.025. You can not beat that for broad banded great SWR.
Factory service and email replies are great.
Mike, you made a great product in the design and use of top components in this 6M5X!

W1WDX Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2006 20:48 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got mine yesterday and assembled it today. It took me about 1 hr to put it together (taking my sweet time) and the beam was up right after that. I assembled it and carried up the roof by myself and mounted on the mast. Run a few test and I am completely satified. Will soon get another one to stack.
Great job M2!! Now can you do something about a band opening???

N6AJR Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2005 21:23 Send this review to a friend
M2 means great service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have several antennas from M2 and Mike and Myrna ( and wyatt) build a beautiful antenna, answer emails, phone calls, and they build a superb antenna.

Good Job M squared..

KG4MCC Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2005 21:10 Send this review to a friend
Almost makes openings by itself  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, maybe not.

I participated in the VHF CONTEST this weekend using this brand new antenna (for me) and my FT-857D from EM-97 at an elevation of about 3,400 ft.

The conditions were terrible on Saturday, but not so bad on Sunday.

I was not expecting to work DX, but that's exactly what happened! VP5KE & HI3TEJ (grids FL-41 & FK-49) are in the log.

That may not seem so great, until you consider that this was on 6-meter vhf, not hf, and where we are in the sunspot cycle.

Was it luck? Magic? I don't know, but those surprise dx contacts on 6 certainly made my weekend!

I would give a 4.9 rating if possible, just because the holes for the boom screws were off just enough to make it hard to assemble. But I was able to "finesse" them into place without resorting to a drill or file.

This antenna is very well built. It was a little tricky to tune the t-match, but that could be because it was the first time I've worked with one.

The pattern appears to be sharp, so you better have a fairly accurate rotator that likes a lot of use.

You cannot go wrong with this great antenna!

Dave - KG4MCC

W9WZJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2005 00:12 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Flat swr, decent gain and WAY better than a vertical. Very easy to assemble - Largest 6 meter beam M2 offers with out a support line, good for stacking. 9.4 dbd, better than fake dbi the "others" offer.

K0TVD Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2004 20:03 Send this review to a friend
FANTASTIC!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After fighting with a new (MFJ) HyGain-DX64B for almost 6 months and having three of the four elements actually fall off, it was refreshing to replace it with something of quality! I love my M2 6M-5X beam! The workmanship is second to none. It's light weight while being sturdy enough to handle the high winds, ice and snow we get here in Western Iowa. Assembly is a breeze. I cannot see how anyone could not get this right!! Elements are pre-measured and pre-cut. It will handle my full KW without any modifications (not so HyGain!)
Thanks to Jim at Burghardt Amateur Center for replacing the HyGain with this wonderful antenna! You and M2 are both FIVE STAR companies.