Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | ATX Walkabout Portable Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for ATX Walkabout Portable Antenna
ATX Walkabout Portable Antenna Reviews: 30 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $59.99 British Pounds
Description: A portable telescopic antenna covering 80-6M
More info: http://www.wsplc.com

You can write your own review of the ATX Walkabout Portable Antenna.

OE3SGU Rating: 3/5 Oct 15, 2006 11:46 Send this review to a friend
Ok but not great  Time owned: more than 12 months
The ATX is good built and quite flexible when it comes to connect it to the rig. Either 3/8", PL or BNC connectors are delivered with it which allows it to use it with several rigs. The antenna is very compact in transport and the optional powerport transport bags are a nice addition. Now the bad thing: The fact that you need a counterpoise makes it less flexible (in my opinion) for using it during travelling and for "beddesk operation". I prefer the miracle whip because its easier to tune and just as compact (but more expensive).

G0DJE Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2006 03:48 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Compromise  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Was great for me while I was without a base installation for HF for several months.

Having worked New York state - SSB - at the kitchen table with my '817 and 5watts and rag chewed on 80M from my study desk, also '817 and 5 watts, I have to give this a "5".

Like all things in life there are puts and takes. It took me 2 hours to get the counterpoise and whip adjustments for each band, but they did all work, SSB and CW, on a repeatable basis.

Only comment would be - don't bother with the BNC...get PL-259. And remember to support the radio as it can easily fall over with the antenna attached!!

I sold mine to part fund a power supply and some wire for a base station dipole, but I'd certainly buy another.

Steve
G0 DJE

OZ1LQO Rating: 4/5 Jun 29, 2005 01:47 Send this review to a friend
So far so good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got the antenna as a cheap, easy to store/pack, qrp/p antenna to be used on hikes in southern France in a couple of weeks and the only reason why I don't rate this antenna a clean 5/5, is because I've only used it one time so far.

I brought my 703, the antenna, and a single radial cut for the 20m band (as described in the single page manual) on a days hike in the local hills, set up the station at an open location and immidiately worked a russian station some 3200km away. Not bad with some 5watts output :)

I'll be back with further comments after my trip to France and hopefully I'll be able to upgrade my rating to the 5/5.

best 73 and have a great summer out there
Soren

AC7WL Rating: 4/5 Jan 2, 2005 22:39 Send this review to a friend
Great for portable operation!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Picked mine up about 4 months ago and a great little antenna when you are on the go. Without a counterpoise it works great on receive, shortwave listening as well. I put together a camera tripod stand as well as some radials. Tuning this with my Z-11 to take out the "slack" gives me a decent performer for the field. Working 40 meters with such a small antenna can be a bear, forget 75/80. Working anything 20 or above is fine, and I get decent reports. Not a bad investment and complements my Yo Yo Tenna deluxe quite well.

DF2DD Rating: 0/5 Sep 26, 2004 06:54 Send this review to a friend
Unusable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I used this antenna in order to do some nice QSOs during the contest last week with my 817. Nearly impossible to get an accurate SWR with this antenna. And the BNC-Connector is a real pain. Very unstabil on the 817. So I quickly selled this antenna. I cannot recommend this Antenna to anyone.

WB1BPV Rating: 1/5 Feb 12, 2004 16:11 Send this review to a friend
Makes the Miracle Whip look like a beam!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Not sure where to start.I purchased an FT-817 on EBAY last year and the ATX came with it.This antenna(and I use the term loosely)is great for receiveing, but it is nearly impossible to get a decent swr on tx.I've tried all different formulas for counterpoises and nothing works.My miracle whip and 20 watts without a counterpoise puts the ATX to shame.Good workmanship gives it a 1, but thats about it.Don't waste your money.

PE1RLN Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2004 08:53 Send this review to a friend
Good for it's size  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have used this antenna quite a few times and every time it works great for what it is intended for. Do not expect great DX but for reception on close talks it works fine.

Ik use it on my FT817 (like anyone else) and it works only with counterpoise. I use 100m of installation-wire in a box. Always enough!

ON4MGY Rating: 0/5 Apr 21, 2003 05:37 Send this review to a friend
Waste of money  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought my ATX Walkabout to have a quick antenna for working on hf when in a hotel-room, on a camping trip or just portable for the fun. It just is the worst thing I ever bought for my hamradio hobby. On rx its more or less ok, but on transmit it's worth nothing.
For about the same price of this piece of rubbish, you can buy the MIZUHO KX-QRP tuner which tunes coax-fed or end-fed wire antennas. With this tuner and a piece of wire you can have great fun and some dx. 5 Watts in use here from the FT-817 and no problem with KP4, VP2 ,VO1 and 8P6 on one afternoon in SSB. You just won't do that with the walkabout!! It's a nice concept but thats all.
73 de ON4MGY Nic

NE2I Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2003 21:43 Send this review to a friend
So far so good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Works great with my 817 and my VR500
needs a groundplane as you can really hear
the difference when you put hand on the rig.
we'll see about its robustness.

CT5GSI Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2002 05:58 Send this review to a friend
Wonderfull antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the SO-239 right angle version, so no stress on the BNC plug. First time I use it, it was inside my living room with FT-817 (5W) on 10m band adding only a ground wire to the radio according to antenna instructions. Good reception and them I pressed the PTT... Wonderfull, not only I could hear but they hear me too. Im in Portugal and in this conditions I worked USA, Canada, Italy, Yoguslavia and South Africa in an hour. What could I ask more. I was inside home making DX from the sofa in a rainy day. I worked also in 2m band, but couldn't take out some SWR, tought I could work all repeaters. No experience in other bands. Please, try this antenna!!! It fits the spirit of the FT-817. I waiting for my second FT-817, Z-11 ATU (for dipoles) and of course, my second ATX Walkabout.

73's