Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Diamond CP6 multi-band trap-vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond CP6 multi-band trap-vertical
Diamond CP6 multi-band trap-vertical Reviews: 41 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $320
Description: The CP6 is a multi-band trap-vertical antenna for HF bands, covering the 80*, 40, 20, 15, 10 & 6m amateur bands. Made from heavy-duty aluminum, the CP6 is easily assembled, yielding excellent performance and reliability from a compact base station.
*80m CW only. SSB requires a tuner.
antenna.

This product has been discontinued.
More info: http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/multi2.html

You can write your own review of the Diamond CP6 multi-band trap-vertical.

EI4GMB Rating: 2/5 Jun 27, 2010 12:11 Send this review to a friend
Too many problems !!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Diamond CP6 multi-band trap-vertical came highly recommended when I bought it. It was the first antenna I purchased as a radio amateur and suited my limited space location.However, It had a number of problems:-

1. It is an omni-directional antenna and was also very noisy.
2. It gave out a poor TX Signal(almost 3 S Points down on my G5RV Jr.)
3. It could not withstand strong winds leading to
the solder tags on the trap coils snapping.
4.The traps themselves had rivets which were virtually impossible to remove so as to repair the coils.
5.The Antenna required a lot of maintenance.

Overall, I was very disappointed with the CP6. Strong winds eventually damaged the trap coils beyond repair and I finally took it down!!!
My advice would be if you can fit a G5RV Jr into your lot do so, It will perform a hundred times better than the CP6!!!

M6GOM Rating: 3/5 Apr 17, 2010 13:02 Send this review to a friend
Serious build quality issues.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a used one at a radio rally. Upon getting it home and trying to tune it in, it was obvious why as it would only tune 6m. Thankfully the internet has been created and a quick search revealed the first trap as the cause.

I repaired the first trap. Seriously abysmally poor construction. One solder tag had snapped, I suppose it was because the securing rivet had stretched and the whole trap slopped about. Went about fixing it and its 1000 times better.

Which brings me onto the second complaint. I don't think its actually possible to find a softer metal to use for the radial rings. How anyone manages to screw in the radials without ripping out the threads is beyond me.

Anyway, performance. I have a monoband dipole for 20m at 5m AGL and a Little Tarheel with a 66" whip on. 80m is too narrow to be usable. Performance on all bands is equal to my Tarheel. By equal, I mean IDENTICAL on side by side comparisons on my Kenwood TS-480 (2 antenna sockets) both on RX and TX (TX to station in USA from UK, 3500 miles approx with 50W). On 20m, I compared it to the dipole using my Yaesu FT950 (2 antenna sockets). Up to around 2000 miles, the CP6 was 2-s points down on both TX and RX reports. Contacting a station in Washington State, around 3500 miles, a side by side revealed the CP6 slightly stronger (both S9) but the operator said the audio was quite louder and easier to hear on the CP6.

So there you have it. Its not bad if you ignore 80m but the build quality is seriously dire for an antenna now costing 300 in the UK. I'm just glad I bought mine second hand. I'd have been in tears if I shelled out 300 for that.

After my experience of the Comet H422, I'd say that if you don't mind losing 80m, go with the Comet H422. Its a far better performer and WILL tune up on 6m even though it doesn't say it does.

ON4XA Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2009 03:39 Send this review to a friend
choose yr bandlarge  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi to all, I writed allready a review about it. Now it's 4 years I have same CP6 and it works great. Even on 80. Even on 80 phonie. You have just to find the good mesuring, because the bandlarge is not vy high. His minus point is the power. When Diamond will make same antenna accepted 1Kw, it will be the Rolls Royce of vertical multiband antennas. I am vy vy happy with it. Diamond, you're the best. Thanks for this antenna. 73's Xav ON4XA

IZ1GCN Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2009 06:00 Send this review to a friend
IZ1PON  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ease of installation.
SWR bands within 1.1 machined.
Ideal for urban condominiums and installation on or in conditions of limited space available.

Proven with YAESU FT-DX9000 exciting combination.
Proven with YAESU FT-897D / I combination exciting

KC6STT Rating: 4/5 Feb 17, 2009 00:34 Send this review to a friend
reasonable/acceptable  Time owned: more than 12 months
My antenna seemed to work reasonably well for what it is-a compact (about 15 foot tall) multi-band antenna (it is not up right now). It was reasonably simple to assemble and use, although the short vertical radiator and very short, loaded radials does create an SWR bandwidth issue on the lower bands. Many people seem to have problems with the match moving around over time. Some use a coax tuner of some kind to get around this problem.

My antenna was mounted about 20 feet AGL on a push-up mast with no guy wires underneath the antenna. I also used a tuner as I knew the SWR would be a problem (and it was, particularly on 20 and 15 meters for some unknown reason). But, instead of using a in-line tuner at the radio, I installed a feedpoint (longwire) auto tuner (an Icom AH-4) under the bottom of the antenna when operating my '706MIIG. The combination of the feedpoint tuner and the antenna worked out very well! The antenna was operated on all of the bands it was capable of without worrying about what the feedpoint SWR was. I was not too sure the combination would work when I put everything together, but was pleasantly surprised when contacts were made on all bands the antenna was designed for. Even on 75 meters, which would normally be difficult to operate on because of the very sharp SWR curve. RX on the design bands was reasonably good.

Attempts to force the antenna to operate on 5 MHz, 18 MHz, and 24 MHz resulted in very dismal performance even though the tuner was matched up simply because there are no radials for these bands. The RX was pretty numb.

This antenna (and its 5-band replacement) will never operate with the efficiency of, say, a properly installed 5BTV. But, if you need a compact antenna, can find one new or used somewhere (since Diamond has discontinued it), and you have a longwire tuner you can put under it, you might be pleasantly surprised.

ZS6UZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2009 03:31 Send this review to a friend
Not too shabby!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I replaced my Create 730-V 5band V antennae with the CP-6. Immediately I could hear the difference. Actually worked DX with it, couldn't do that with the Create. It is only about 3m AGL..
I live in a cluster-house development, so things have to be low profile.
Installing was a one-man job. I fitted the R2 coil for the higher SSB portion of 80m, there is also a R1 available for the lower SSB portion. The different coils come complete with a different top section.
Tuning was easy. I used the MFJ259 to get an idea where the 1.5 outer limits were, roughly adjusted the radials to where I wanted it and then used the built-in SWR indication of my TS480HX to fine tune the radials TO MAKE THE RADIO HAPPY. I only use an LDG AT200 on 80m, otherwise that is switched out.
So far so good, just a pity that now that I have a working antenna, I don't have time to play radio!!

IW2CZG Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2008 15:31 Send this review to a friend
Interesting antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I installed the CP6-R antenna on my roof in September 2007 at about 15 meters above the ground.
After one year, running 100 Watts I got these results:

DXCC, 6m, Mixed 17
DXCC, 10m, Mixed 18
DXCC, 15m, Mixed 33
DXCC, 20m, Mixed 87
DXCC, 40m, Mixed 55
DXCC, 80m, Mixed 28

Construction seems adequately robust.
In my area I experimented some strong winds and the antenna looks like had no suffering at all.

Because of the small phisical dimensions, you can expect best performances on the highest bands.
40 meters are acceptable, 80 meters are too narrow and difficult to work.

About power handling: I would like to upgrade to 200W RTX but I'm a little concerned about driving the antenna up to the limit.

Pro:
- material quality
- easy to assemble / install / tune
- compact
- wind proof
- no static electricity

Cons:
- 40 & 80 meters narrow bandwidth
- 80 meter performances
- low power handling

If you're not looking for the antenna to punch through pile-ups but you're looking for a small general purpose all-bander, this antenna could make you happy.

EB3BRJ Rating: 4/5 May 26, 2008 06:26 Send this review to a friend
It is OK for 15-6 m  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had the CP-6 for three month now. I have to say that is very simple to put together and adjust.
performance is OK on 6, 10 and 15 meters. in 20 mt gain is way lower than my three band 20-20-40 meter inverted V with traps I made with the Unadilla traps. So I use the inverted V for the lower bands and the CP6 for 15 meters and up.
Considering the price (which is about 240 euros in Spain) I guess is and OK option.
It got me some DX contacts with the due propagation.
In 80 meters is veeeery narrow. I had to stick an extension tube at the end of the radial to be able to make it resonate on 3580 KHz for PSK31. I guess for PSK down there is useable, specially considering I have no space for a real 80 meters antenna.

M0KDB Rating: 3/5 May 4, 2008 02:01 Send this review to a friend
Great performance poor construction materials  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my CP-6 now for nearly three years. I bought it second hand off a friend who had only used it very briefly. This was my first vertical for Hf having previously used horizontal wire antenna's.
The antenna was easy enough to assemble when first bought although i noted that some parts seemed to be less than substantial in construction and even poor in quality.Supplied Screws were poor so replaced with stainless. The mounting for the radials was of poor quality and quite soft metals. After assembly the antenna tuned up well on all bands without an ATU i tuned for centre of each band with no problems. Using an ATU also allows me to use edges of the bands and WARC bands with no problems.
In the three years i have owned the antenna it has been taken down twice for retuning. No matter how much i seal them the radials still suffer with water getting in despite having drain holes. I have just put the antenna back up yesterday after spending two days repairing it. My initial thought that some parts were poorly constructed was correct with the radial mounting parts needing to be redrilled and tapped as the thread had worn out till some radials just fell off into my neighbours garden!!!!!!
Overall the antenna performs well across all bands but unfortunately it is let down by a poor quality of parts and workmanship and after three years this antenna is literally falling to pieces. I have remade and replaced some parts. The only thing going in its favour is that despite this it still works great although requires regular maintenance.
I do get high winds at my QTH but thought a Diamond antenna would be upto it.

G8ITB Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2008 04:09 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for Limited Space!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Living in a suburban area (No CCR's - but we do have planning laws for antenna installations!)with a small narrow garden any amateur HF antenna is very visible! The CP-6 (Not 6A - that's US 75/80M coils) was mounted at the far end of the garden, 7 metres agl and fed with LMR-400, unused surplus from a new cellular telephone mast. OK - it's not a HF log periodic on a 30 metre tower; but it works well enough to get me out - much better than I initially expected! Even down to ZL at times, with just a simple 100 watts out of a TS-2000X. I also use an auto ATU (AT-300) for a long wire - that works well for Europe and eastern USA/Canada; the CP-6 gets the real DX - for me! It's small profile blends well into the background at a distance and does not upset the neighbours view. I have two friends who have put CP-6s up on the roofs of appartment houses - one in Malta and one in London. Both were only accepted because of their small profiles; anything else would have been rejected by the building owners - they work excellently for their users.
Diamond - please bring this item back into production - it works! It's far better than that 'dummy load' with a wire or element that you now market as HF antennas!

Richard G8ITB