Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Autek WM-1 Help

Reviews Summary for Autek WM-1
Autek WM-1 Reviews: 76 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $132.95
Description: SWR/power meter with remote RF head.
More info: http://www.autekresearch.com/wm1.htm

You can write your own review of the Autek WM-1.

AB2IR Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2014 05:54 Send this review to a friend
Really nice   Time owned: more than 12 months
Love the twin meter display for quick reference. Main reason purchased was twin meters. Had one for years, but lightening pulse took it out. Immediately purchased a replacement 2010. Did not know they stopped production now. Keeping mine as a backup now. Always worked well.

W8QAP Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2014 12:41 Send this review to a friend
Great Meter  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second review. Bought this meter new, have used it for over 4 years, and still very happy. Sad to hear they are out of production. Accuracy is more than adequate for my needs. The dual, illuminated meter are classic and a quick glance tells you all you need to know. Remote sense head make for an easy installation.

K7JBQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2013 21:02 Send this review to a friend
Out of production  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Really glad I got mine when I did. Everything you need in a meter, and nothing you don't need.

An earlier poster criticized the construction of the case, saying it looked "homebrew." Homebrew should look so good!

Rock solid, and outstanding value. If you find one at a hamfest, don't hem and hah, buy it!

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2013 21:21 Send this review to a friend
DISCONTINUED! {:>(  Time owned: more than 12 months
GREAT accurate meter but it has now DISCONTINUED according to the AUTEK RESEARCH web site? I'm hanging onto mine as long as it keeps working.

K0OD Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2013 19:50 Send this review to a friend
20 Years and Still Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Autek WM-1 is 20 years old. The convenient remote head is charred from a lightning strike a decade ago. But it seems accurate on all three scales. I've used it in major DX contests at full legal power and in QRPP events running <1 watt. It goes months in my shack without being powered down.

N3TU Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2013 17:43 Send this review to a friend
Best Meter I Owned!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had this meter for two years already and never had a problem with it. I push 1.5 KW. A few times by accident I pushed high power into the low power setting and it has a protection feature. It is very accurate. I always tune up on 5 watts and tune the antenna to 1.1. Then I tune up the amp so it peaks out the meter and never had a problem. I like the fact it has a remote box for the jumpers.

AF3Y Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2012 07:53 Send this review to a friend
No problem meters!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of these meters. Have had them in service for over 4 or 5 years now and no complaints. I would buy another, if needed.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2012 15:24 Send this review to a friend
Accurate & Fast! {:>)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the 2nd WM-1 that I have owned.Sold the 1st one because it did NOT have a light in it & this one has the light installed from the factory.Got a deal from an Estate for just $50 & I have no plans of letting this one go anywhere.Love that BOTH the output power & SWR are displayed at the same time & ZERO calibration needed for either.Got a GREAT meter at an AWESOME price & I'm VERY happy!

W8NLZ Rating: 4/5 Sep 23, 2012 16:32 Send this review to a friend
No More Cross Needles for Me  Time owned: more than 12 months
Like many of us, I have been through a lot of different wattmeters. Picked up a used Autek WM-1 at a hamfest and it has become my main man. Why? Because it displays both SWR and Power simultaneously without having to interpolate where needles are crossing one another, etc. Just clear and concise d'Arsonval meters. Because it uses a remote sensor, routing heavy cables to the operating desk is avoided. The Peak/Average function has value when operating SSB. I calibrated my unit using a friend's Bird wattmeter. Now it is very good across the entire power range. SWR is spot on. I wish I had the more recent model, which has lighted meters because I often operate in subdued lighting. I would consider the WM-1 to be a good value. One point off for the cheap case.

KE4ZHN Rating: 3/5 Aug 27, 2012 14:41 Send this review to a friend
Meter works fine, but the cabinet looks home brew  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my WM-1 used from a fellow ham. For what I have in it I couldnt say no. This meter works fine with the exception of loose hardware and a crappy quality cabinet. Its tough as nails but just butt ugly. Mine is an older non-lighted version and from what I hear from other hams with the lighted ones, I'm better off without the lights. Some have reported the addition of the lights made the meter more susceptible to RFI and erratic readings. Mine doesnt have this issue on any band. Im not sure if it was just their stations or this is a design issue with the unit itself. The case of this thing looks like the three stooges built it in their garage. The swr and power scale reads about as accurately as any other meter I have put in line to compare it with so no gripe on accuracy and operation. As another amateur pointed out, the front panel is wavy and bent up..this is how they come new. The mounting lugs on the case arent lined up properly for the front panel to fit flush so when they tightened the screws to hold the face plate in it bends the corners up. Looks like hell. The back of the meter head has this huge gaping hole in it and the connector for the "wall wart" is very fragile. If you need a cheap quick n' dirty meter that reads pep and swr without fiddling with knobs this will do the job. The remote head is ok but somewhat cheesy in looks and feel. The idea is great, the execution leaves a bit to be desired. Its a simple P box that snaps together with the circuit board inside for the sensor. This could have been made better but it works. If your one of those hams who insist on having every piece of gear look pristine and perfect...you should pass this one by. If you dont mind a homebrew look and feel in a meter that works, its ok for the money. For me, it does the job but I doubt I would buy one new unless Autek addressed the cosmetic and mechanical issues. I do like the big meters though. Very easy to read. I have never dealt with the company on the phone but from what other hams have told me Im not missing anything. Im sorry, but if Im going to spend my money with a company, I expect to be treated at least with a little bit of respect. A condescending attitude will only serve to drive customers away from this company and they wont last.