Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Autek WM-1 Help

Reviews Summary for Autek WM-1
Autek WM-1 Reviews: 76 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $132.95
Description: SWR/power meter with remote RF head.
More info: http://www.autekresearch.com/wm1.htm

You can write your own review of the Autek WM-1.

VE3EQP Rating: 1/5 Aug 26, 2012 20:43 Send this review to a friend
Not so good!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Autek should put a BIG warning that the WM-1 CAN NOT be used with normal all battery operation of a ham station!
The power for the WM-1 requires a separate Positive Sleeve and a Negative Center pin for the power connector. BAD, BAD!
There is no fuse/protection circuit for reversing the polarity. Even if you are careful to use the center pin Negative, as soon as you connect the coax cables, you short out the Positive to ground. In the case of the WM1, it doesn't blow any fuses, it burns out some PC circuit board lands (copper traces) on the board. BIG repair, if you know how. The Schematic is proprietary so is not available.
It does work OK, ONLY if you use the proper supplied ac wallwart.
I am surprised of the number of Happy Users but DO NOT try to use this for Field Day with a single battery supply!
Mike VE3EQP (VA3YV - 1B2 Bat - Field Day!)

WA4HKY Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2012 18:04 Send this review to a friend
Above Average  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First of all- Customer service is top notch. Very helpful and honest about the product. UPS delivered my WM-1 to the wrong address. Instead of alerting UPS- the person opened the box, dropped the meter HARD, and then tried to pass the blame to UPS. The meter was ruined... UPS apologized, Autek was VERY helpful and understanding on the phone once I alerted them about what happened. Autek had a replacement in the mail the next day! How's that for customer service!

The meter is a welcome addition to my shack. It is just as described. Accurate, well designed and simple to operate. I would definitely purchase from Autek again.

W7MJM Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2011 11:42 Send this review to a friend
Autek WM-1 - I like the dual meters  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently acquired a used Autek WM-1. I had previously owned an old Heathkit HM-2140, then went with one of the big MFJ-868 meters for its easy to read large meter. Though I was happy with the MFJ for being easy to read from a distance, I found that I missed the dual meter display and remote pickup of the Heathkit. When I saw one of the Autek meters at a hamfest, I figured I'd give one a try.

I love it. It combines the dual meter approach of the HM-2140 with computed SWR, instead of reflected power, on the left meter. It appears to be reasonably accurate, the PEP response is excellent and the Autek meter faces are easier to read than the Heathkit.

The Autek's a keeper. The big MFJ is great for reading across the room, but the Autek WM-1 dual meters are perfectly adequate, easy on the eyes, and they give you instant SWR and FWD PEP at a glance, without having to push any switches or adjust sensitivity.

WO4R Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2011 10:23 Send this review to a friend
best watt meter ever  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is the best watt meter I have ever owned.
Sure you can spend a lot more but dollar for dollar it is the most bang for the buck. I want to know swr and forward power. I also want big meters. This one has both with no calibrating or reading cross needles.

W4DHX Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2011 08:23 Send this review to a friend
Great Meter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Excellent meter - well built, large meters, accurate, and good for mobile use. Be sure to read the instructions when hooking up power (using other than the supplied A/C adapter).

WS7X Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2011 16:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Meters  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for probably 10 years, and I just noticed that I've not written a review before now so thought I'd add my 2 cents. You can spend a lot more for a good meter but this one will do just fine. Mine is accurate and has worked flawlessly with no issues. Nothing else to add that hasn't already been said except the few negative reviews I've read about this meter seem to address a customer service issue. I can't speak to that since my purchase was so long ago and I had no trouble with mine. But as for the meter itself, if they still make them like the one I have, it's a great meter and deserves a 5. I'd buy another one without hesitation if I ever needed another meter.

W4QDC Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2011 15:50 Send this review to a friend
Great accesory  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I don't know why I didn't get one of these WM-1 sooner. I have never been pleased with most SWR and Pwr measuring devices. Some transceivers have decent metering of SWR, but you usually want to monitor something else and they are had to see on most displays. I have an automatic ant. tuner at the base of my 43 ft. vertical and it keeps track of erratic operating of this tuner when it suddenly decides to go in the bypass mode. In over 60 years of hamming, this is one of the better station accesories I've used. It is as accurate as my Bird Watt Meter. You get instant readings and full time monitoring. I hope they have improved on their service work as this seems to be a problem. Jay, W4QDC

JUNKMAN Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2011 00:07 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had every other wattmeter made so I can't figure out why I have not tried one of these sooner. Excellent meter and I like the way it works. Attack and decay times are perfect for a peak reading meter. Large white face meters are easy to see and seems to be accurate as well. Only thing I had a problem with was RF getting into the wall wart that powers the meter and the meter lights were too dim. To solve the problems I did away with the wall wart and powered the meter from my station power supply and re-wired the lights from series to parallel and the lights are now much brighter. Now it's the perfect meter for my needs and at $159 it's a good deal as well.

N3TU Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2010 00:22 Send this review to a friend
Great Meter!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had my WM-1 a year to this week. I had no problems with it. I bought it because I got Drake L4B. There were a couple of times where I forgot to switch it to high power when running over 1KW and it survived. It reads the PEP well. I put it up against the Bird meter and it was the same. I see a lot of poor reviews pages back but I think they have ironed out the bugs. I'm keeping this meter and will buy another one. I use it with the AC cord supplied and don't have intentions of using 12 Volt DC. I like the lights and the fact the meters are big.

VE3FMC Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2010 13:04 Send this review to a friend
VERY NICE METER  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a new AUTEK WM-1 and I am impressed.

Ordered via the phone, no problem getting through to Autek.

It was shipped and arrived within 10 days of ordering, which is pretty good considering it had to go through Canada Customs.

First impression of the meter is excellent meter. Easy to read, easy to use and the remote control head is a plus. No coax on the desk to the meter.

Power readings are the same as my old trusty YS-60 which I have used for years.

I like the fact there are two separate meters. I also like the fact that I no longer have to do a calibration when checking the SWR.

All in all I would recommend this meter to other Amateurs who do not like the many cross needle meters that seem to be the main sellers from the dealers these days.